IGNORED

Chipping in frozen/frosty conditions

Moxley
Note: This thread is 2276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Playing tomorrow with a forecast of 0 overnight, maybe 1 celsius by the time we start - it's the minor course, so it will be open despite the frost, and we will play.

The same happened last month and it destroyed my round because normally the short game is where I make up my shots, and I couldn't chip in these conditions. 

The two problems, which compound one another, seem to be : 

a) soft,delicate chips are very difficult because grass contact can stop the club almost completely

b) firmer, more lofted contact is risky because the ball may just bounce off the green instead of gripping 

I couldn't seem to the find a way to get around these problems last time I played, any ideas? 

Other than stay at home in a nice warm house? :-P

If you're just of the green and its hard or frozen ground then maybe just use the putter, more predictable than chipping if the ground is frozen.

I use my putting stroke fro chipping anyway which makes it easier and if the greens are rock hard i dont have to think too much if i swap the wedge/iron for the putter.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played in those frozen conditions a few days ago.

All my chipping, and pitch shots were done with my 7W. Actually I didn't use my irons much at all that day due to the hard turf. 

Using my 7W allowed the club to sort of "slide" over the hard turf. By choking down, and using my putting stroke, chips were not a problem. I actually practice this shot from time to time. 

Pitch shots were ok. Again the 7W design didn't allow it to try to dig into the turf, and bounce off causing topped contact. 

I love my 7 wood. :-)

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

22 minutes ago, Patch said:

I played in those frozen conditions a few days ago.

All my chipping, and pitch shots were done with my 7W. Actually I didn't use my irons much at all that day due to the hard turf. 

Using my 7W allowed the club to sort of "slide" over the hard turf. By choking down, and using my putting stroke, chips were not a problem. I actually practice this shot from time to time. 

Pitch shots were ok. Again the 7W design didn't allow it to try to dig into the turf, and bounce off causing topped contact. 

I love my 7 wood. :-)

I could try my 5 wood or 5 hybrid for chips I guess, always been a type of a shot that seems to come off the face too 'hot', but maybe that's less of a problem if contact is predictable. I don't normally carry a 7 wood although I do have one. 

When you talk about pitch shots with a 7 wood, I assume you mean bump and run shots, no way you can get high enough?

Played in this today - first 3 holes were frozen, and ended up with a chip on each of them. Found I did best focusing on a lowish trajectory, but just enough to make it a solid/firm shot. 

On 1/19/2018 at 9:32 AM, Moxley said:

I could try my 5 wood or 5 hybrid for chips I guess, always been a type of a shot that seems to come off the face too 'hot', but maybe that's less of a problem if contact is predictable. I don't normally carry a 7 wood although I do have one. 

When you talk about pitch shots with a 7 wood, I assume you mean bump and run shots, no way you can get high enough?

It's a finesse shot that requires a  controlled, shorter back swing. A putting stroke works quite well. It's one of my occasional practice shots.

I think the reason the ball comes off hotter with those clubs is because the golfer is use to swinging those clubs faster. 

Some years back some of the pros were using a 3W out of green side rough. Same principal.

You are correct about the pitches being bump, and runs, although they do go higher than chips.The ball is in the air higher, and longer than a chip shot. This shot also works well in wet, muddy conditions. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On 1/20/2018 at 4:17 PM, Moxley said:

Played in this today - first 3 holes were frozen, and ended up with a chip on each of them. Found I did best focusing on a lowish trajectory, but just enough to make it a solid/firm shot. 

How did you end up doing? I didn't see this in time for your round, but I was going to suggest low running chips and allow for less roll because the frost will slow your ball down. Anything high on a frozen green will bounce. 

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Chipped 2 that run on close enough for gimme's , the other was a duff that only just crept onto to the green due to catching the ground first. I think the 3rd was a lack of concentration really having done a good job on the first 2, not concentrating is a killer on chip shots. 

pump and run your chips. i think it's the only way. also remember that the ball takes less slope in these conditions

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Note: This thread is 2276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!