IGNORED

required relief

Papa Steve 55
Note: This thread is 2246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A discussion came up the other day about taking relief from standing water on the green. I liked the uphill putt vs the sidehill I would have ended up with, so did not take relief. That led to the discussion about when are you required to take it. I came up with environmentally sensitive areas and ornamental plants, and I'm not sure about the second. My understanding is you can play off GUR, unless signed otherwise for seeding or safety. 

Any other common situations?

From USGA

Casual Water

"Casual water" is any temporary accumulation of water on the course that is not in a water hazard and is visible before or after the player takes his stance. Snow and natural ice, other than frost, are either casual water or loose impediments, at the option of the player. Manufactured ice is an obstruction. Dew and frost are not casual water.

A ball is in casual water when it lies in or any part of it touches the casual water.

Casual water is defined as an abnormal ground condition. So all rules applying to Casual water fall under Section 25

On the Putting Green: If the ball lies on the putting green, the player must lift the ball and place it, without penalty, at the nearest point of relief that is not in a hazard or, if complete relief is impossible, at the nearest position to where it lay that affords maximum available relief from the condition, but not nearer the hole and not in a hazard. The nearest point of relief or maximum available relief may be off the putting green.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

From USGA

Casual water is defined as an abnormal ground condition. So all rules applying to Casual water fall under Section 25

Yes, but you only quoted the parts that said "must." That's if the player chooses to take relief. Players are not required to take relief from casual water.

They are from ESAs, some kinds of GUR (as determined by the committee), OB (though it's not really "relief" - just pointing out you can't play from OB).

I think that's about it.

There are only a few instances of required relief, and they should be to protect things: otherwise, if you're on the golf course and WANT to play your ball, you should be able to. You may have the option not to, but if you're not damaging something that needs protection, you generally get to play away. You hit your ball there, after all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

From USGA

Indeed. And the Rule says

Except when the ball is in a water hazard or a lateral water hazard, a player may take relief from interference by an abnormal ground condition as follows:

Unless it is for the protection of the course or surrounding area relief is an option. Once you take relief you must take full relief from that interference. There was a good example last year with Jordan Speith taking relief from the cart path I believe but not the water. Maybe someone can remember the exact event.

On 2/19/2018 at 2:55 PM, iacas said:

They are from ESAs, some kinds of GUR (as determined by the committee), OB (though it's not really "relief" - just pointing out you can't play from OB).

I think that's about it.

There are only a few instances of required relief, and they should be to protect things: otherwise, if you're on the golf course and WANT to play your ball, you should be able to.

Two that come to mind are Staked Trees and Wrong Greens

Note: This thread is 2246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!