IGNORED

HELP! Do Books on Improving My Golf Swing Actually Help? I need to find some lessons

nickben74
Note: This thread is 2251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello Golfers,

I've only been playing golf for a couple years and I can't seem to get my golf swing down.  I've been too proud and or embarrassed to ask for lessons or help but I'm at the point where I need some help.  My uncle said his two friends were using golf improvement books, My uncle and his friends swear by these books and start they are 10x cheaper than lessons.  I want to know if I should invest in getting lessons from my CC Pro and order some of those "improve your golf swing" books.  Can I please get some feedback?

Thanks & happy golfing

Edited by nickben74

I've read a lot of books on the golf swing over the years. My opinion is that no one book fits all golfers'. No one book has all the answers, although most have a tid bit or two of useful info in them. That said, I wouldn't run out and purchase a bunch of books on the golf swing. If you go the book route, find one you like, and stick with it. 

Out of all the books I have read, Earnest Jones "Swing The Club Head" is one of the better ones available.

Perhaps your uncle will loan you one of his books?

Books will never replace personalized instruction from a qualified instructor. Yes, personalized instruction can be quite expensive, but if affordable, it's the best way to go. A good instructor can save the student a lot of time. Also, be prepared for multiple visits. One, 1 hour lesson won't help much. 

Another possible way to go is the various swing instructions available on You Tube. Again, if you go that route, find one you like, and stick with it. Don't jump around. 

Also, this website has a lot of good info on the golf swing. I'm sure others on here will show you how to get going on your way to a better swing. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, nickben74 said:

Hello Golfers,

I've only been playing golf for a couple years and I can't seem to get my golf swing down.  I've been too proud and or embarrassed to ask for lessons or help but I'm at the point where I need some help.  My uncle said his two friends were using golf improvement books, My uncle and his friends swear by these books and start they are 10x cheaper than lessons.  I want to know if I should invest in getting lessons from my CC Pro and order some of those "improve your golf swing" books.  Can I please get some feedback?

Thanks & happy golfing

Absolutely invest in some lessons. 

At this point, using a book or video clips would be just hacking around in the dark, because what you need the most is someone to look at your swing and tell you what your biggest fault is.  Books and videos might be educational and enjoyable, but you can take a huge shortcut to success by getting a lesson or lessons. 

Lessons are not really that expensive when compared to what you pay for just 2 or 3 rounds of golf. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Welcome to TST.   Post a swing video and you'll get free help.    Can't beat free.

This.

And, with bias, the next best option is this: http://evolvr.com/.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!