IGNORED

Driver questions, suggestions, recommendations

Note: This thread is 2199 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A few years ago I had a really bad slice, so bought a Ping G SFT.  I hit it better but still struggled with slicing the ball. Last year I upgraded to a G400 SFT 12 * which I really like.  Over the last few months I have had 10 lessons that have improved my tempo to 2.8:1 and increased my swing speed from low to mid 90's to around 102.  I still have occasional slices, but find a lot going right.  Wondering if the increase in swing speed coupled with the SFT is causing the hook.

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

Assuming you have the right shaft, I would say you have a great club. I notice that when I slice it feels like I have not made the best turn. Less than my normal full turn will cause be to come outside to in and either pull it (if the club face is square to path) or slice it if the face is open or square to target line. If your swing tends to be "armsy", it is not the club. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, cnl390 said:

A few years ago I had a really bad slice, so bought a Ping G SFT.  I hit it better but still struggled with slicing the ball. Last year I upgraded to a G400 SFT 12 * which I really like.  Over the last few months I have had 10 lessons that have improved my tempo to 2.8:1 and increased my swing speed from low to mid 90's to around 102.  I still have occasional slices, but find a lot going right.  Wondering if the increase in swing speed coupled with the SFT is causing the hook.

Post a swing video.   The analysis is free and it will give you help to correct the swing fault.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

When the Ping G drivers came out, I got my best numbers (of all drivers I tried that year) with the base G driver and the stock TFC419 shaft in R-flex. (No, I didn't buy it).

The G SFT gave me hook misses no matter how I set up, while the G LS.Tec (low spin) gave me line drives.

Your driver slice likely resulted from an over-the-top move (were you ever a baseball player?) And, the lessons likely have coaxed out a more desirable diagonal swing plane.

I suspect you have improved to the point the SFT clubhead is a liability, giving you a hook machine. Also, with the higher clubhead speed, check the shaft torque. The extra power generated may be causing your clubhead to close down more than you want. This will cause left misses.

Back when I was testing the G drivers, I also tried the Srixon drivers. With the Srixon Z355 head, the shots felt solid but I got low left line drives. Turned out the sub-60 gram R-flex shaft had torque of 5.7. Launch monitor showed I was closing down the 10.5* clubhead to about 7.5* at impact.

The fitter switched me to a 10.5* Z545 (face set 1* open) with a 61-gram Kuro Kage R-flex shaft | torque ~ 4.0. This straightened things out nicely, ranging from a slight push to a gentle draw.

Your solution: get on the Trackman with a good fitter, and find the ideal driver head + shaft combo for your new and improved swing. 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I was thinking the same thing about the lessons having made my swing better, thus making the SFT more of a detriment than help.  That is why I put the post out there for some expert opinions.  I have a lesson this Friday and will ask my pro what he thinks.  If he agrees I will go to MK Golf Technologies for a fitting.

And a plug for my pro, David Ogrin.  He will be on the Morning Drive this Wednesday.

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

Note: This thread is 2199 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!