IGNORED

Golfing Tomorrow!!

SmiterofPV1x
Note: This thread is 2190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm generally off work on Thursdays so I typically play a lot of morning rounds on Thursdays (side note if anyone in NC Ohio ever wants to play on a Thursday morning, PM me). Tomorrow I'm playing a round with my dad, 9:45 tee time. I. Am. Stoked!!! This will be the first "dad and I" round of the year and I'm looking forward to it immensely! Last year we played Thursday morning probably 15 times together. 

Last season I gave dad 18 strokes (neither of us have an official handicap, he's capable of bogey golf so I can't give him more:)). I won every time. A couple times he had victory in his hands and pooped it away on the last hole or two, he was up 3 (versus the spread) heading into 17 the last round we played last year and dunked three tee balls into the lake that 3/4 surrounded this SHORT par 3. He's improved so much this offseason that I don't think I can win giving him 18. He's upgraded every club in his bag, usually by either my recommendation or by me buying it for him and telling him to try it. He's shot a couple low 40's nines this year, good for him! We play for 1.00 and much much more importantly, bragging rights. I think I'll give him his 18 to start the season and adjust from there, lol. He may just get his first win tomorrow! The course we are playing though, 15-17 could easily derail his train. They're the toughest holes on the course by far. 

Im in the middle of an equipment crisis. I don't know what driver AND wedge set up to play. It'll be a gametime decision based on the warmup session. Driver, I have two loves currently. An Epic SZ with a HZRDUS Black and an M3 440 with same. The Epic is steady Eddie while the M3 rocket launches balls into low orbit, 50% of the time. I'm not sure twist face is for me because I have seen zero forgiveness on mishits. To further that I have no idea where they'll go either. Serious 2 way miss going on when that one isn't dead centered. Wedges are an even bigger issue as I used to use my stock set PW, GW, then a TM 52* TP something or other. The 52* came up missing after a round 2 weeks ago and no one turned it in. As far as gapping goes that was perfect for me. I am a HIGH launch player so I could hit every wedge shot with the 52* when needed. I have several other 52* wedges but none of them feel right. I have a 54* Mizuno that will probably make the bag, but I lose about 15 yards with it so there's a 25 yard gap between GW and that club for full swings. That and I have to dead hand everything full shot with it to keep it from zipping back off the green. 

So to say I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning might be an accurate statement. I've always been an "all in" type of guy. I'm all in for tomorrow's round. I'm going to post a score, I can feel it already. Hopefully dad won't cheat too bad...:) Have a great night golfing friends!! 

Sorry not to comment more than this but I'm just chiming in to say that the title of your post makes me happy.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Your games with your dad sound like the ones with my Dad. I took up the game again as my dad was slowing down, and all of a sudden I now give my dad a shot a hole like you do with yours. But I still always look forward to them, even though it's only a few times a year in my case.

Enjoy them while you're both still healthy enough to play. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SmiterofPV1x said:

Tomorrow I'm playing a round with my dad, 9:45 tee time. I. Am. Stoked!!!

And I love people who love golf! Best wishes golf friend, -Marv

• Thumbs Up 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Just finished the round with dad. I have one every year, this was my round to suck. Horrible. Just horrible. Dad played bad too, we stopped keeping score on the back it was that bad. Surprisingly I hit most fairways. That was the end of the good points. I finally made a par on 16, the hardest hole on the course. Carried that over to 17, the second hardest. Just when I thought I'd come around I hit my tee ball OB on 18 and to a re-teed par (double bogey) on the last hole. 

Golf is hard. 

On 4/26/2018 at 8:20 AM, dennyjones said:

Great story.   Cherish the time you get to golf with your Dad.  

Oh I do! We had a round. He actually beat me straight up on the front-I played that bad. He rarely beat me with a shot a hole given for 9 last year. Never once for 18. I gained some back on the back but trying to recover from 10+ down (vs the spread) is a fools game. I've gone 29 for 9 before and would struggle to make it up even if I went that low. I certainly didn't, lol! I'm blaming my dog bit hand, I truly think that was a lot of it, but I was on 16 before I made a putt over 4ft. I can't blame that on the dog bite. 

I'm in a very firm slump. No worries, it's not like life is treating me bad. I just can't golf right now. Im playing in a tournament on 05/19 (I think that's the day it starts) so I'm probably more upset due to that than anything. Golf is a fickle beast though. Sometimes I've been dead on in the morning and dead wrong in the afternoon or vice versa. I'm a little worried though because I haven't had any signs of positivity this season yet. Granted it's early but I usually flirt with Par every couple rounds and I'm flirting with 100% suckage every time I tee it up so far. I'd take a high 70's low 80's round right now and feel like I won. Everything is a struggle right now. I'm struggling to make solid contact with irons, that's how bad it is. Normally I'd beat that by heading to the range and working it out. Can't do that due to the dog!! bite. 

Golf is hard. I hope it's easier for y'all right now than me! 

One other quick note then I'll quit wasting your time... 

Someone did turn in my wedge. I picked it up from the course that it fell out of the bag on yesterday. It wasn't the end of the world but it was a darn fine wedge, perfect for my game. Add in it was a TP model and it would have been tough to replace. Thanks golfers for being great citizens! 

10 hours ago, SmiterofPV1x said:

Someone did turn in my wedge. I picked it up from the course that it fell out of the bag on yesterday. It wasn't the end of the world but it was a darn fine wedge, perfect for my game. Add in it was a TP model and it would have been tough to replace. Thanks golfers for being great citizens! 

It sort of gives you hope for mankind...There are good people, you just have to find them.    I believe there is a thread about finding clubs and people returning them on the golf course here somewhere.   Most golfers go out of their way to return a lost club.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 4/26/2018 at 3:27 PM, SmiterofPV1x said:

Just finished the round with dad. I have one every year, this was my round to suck. Horrible. Just horrible. Dad played bad too, we stopped keeping score on the back it was that bad. Surprisingly I hit most fairways. That was the end of the good points. I finally made a par on 16, the hardest hole on the course. Carried that over to 17, the second hardest. Just when I thought I'd come around I hit my tee ball OB on 18 and to a re-teed par (double bogey) on the last hole. 

Golf is hard. 

Anticipation and expectations incite golf God's wrath... It keeps you grounded. Sounds like you have a great dad, especially since he lets you win all your rounds as well as letting you off the hook for keeping score on the back nine... 😂 Glad you had time to enjoy with him.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

8 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Anticipation and expectations incite golf God's wrath... It keeps you grounded. Sounds like you have a great dad, especially since he lets you win all your rounds as well as letting you off the hook for keeping score on the back nine... 😂 Glad you had time to enjoy with him.

Lol! He is a great dad! I will point out two things that are very minor...lol. There was no letting me win. I can't spot him more than 18, neither of us have an official handicap. I probably play to about a 5 now (prior was a legit + but that was a long time ago, but with a HC that traveled-I've always had a WTHeck round or two every year) and he played to about a 20 last year. I've regressed, at least for a round, and he's progressed. I'm going to give him 10 next round and we'll see how it goes. He had every opportunity to win multiple time last year and just flat out crashed a few times. But knowing him there was zero "letting" me win going on. If he coulda beat me, he would have. 

Hes as competitive as I am and there is zero chance he'd throw me a winning bone. Absolutely zero. Lol. Maybe the game wasn't square last year but he's a pretty steady bogey golfer, but with that he'd always have a late blow up hole. Trust me please when I say that he wasn't throwing the match. He invented new cuss words a few times during those blowup holes. 

The other minor thing I'll point out, we both quit keeping score. We weren't recording the score for HC purposes and we were both playing terrible. I did come around a little on the back and he got worse. I still won shot for shot pretty handily but I wasn't even 10 shots better, let alone 18. The bottom line though, I don't really care what either of us shoot. Playing a round with him is an honor and a privilege, and I'll cherish every one of them. There'll be a day not too far in the future where we can't do that. I'll cross that bridge when it comes up but for now I don't care how he plays. I don't care how I play. I just love golfing and more specifically, I love golfing with him. Very minor to that is winning, keeping an accurate score, etc. There'll be plenty of time for that. For now I just enjoy playing with him. I can get upset golfing when I play bad. That's a fact unfortunately. I haven't even come close to losing my cool playing with him. He's the older level headed guy and he now gets way more upset than I do. I just enjoy playing with him not matter how bad I'm playing. I might mutter "Nate! You big dummy" or some such under my breath, but I always look up and smile. Dad saw some spectacular blow-ups 20 years or so ago, including my drowning my SW after three straight into the drink. Then when my PW 4th straight shot found the drink I tried to throw the entire bag in-ended up with the strap catching my shoulder, somersaulting me, and me sitting on the edge of the lake half laughing, half crying. That was my last true blow up and my mental game is now where it needs to be. 

Dad just texted me and wants to play in the morning tomorrow. It's going to be cold. But I'm in!! Duh. Have a great night golfing friends!! 

5 hours ago, colin007 said:

I got $5 on the old man next time you play.

Good plan! However I'm adjusting the strokes to a more reasonable 10  next time we play. I think that'll more accurately portray where we each are. He paracticed (with me and at my request) all winter and that made a huge difference in his game. I'll take that bet if you wanna place it! Lol. But he's not getting 18 anymore. He's had a couple low 40 nines, I don't usually shoot low 30's for nine so he's down to 10. 

So if you wanna bet on the old dude, let me know. I'll be factual and 100% honest in the round. I'd hope that would be apparent after just telling everyone that I 100% stunk last time out. I tell you what, no bet necessary. If I lose the next time we play (spotting him 10) I'll send you a personalized SmiterOfPv1x, Pv1x golf ball to add to your collection. I'll post our next round to this thread and if I don't come through, call me to the carpet and you'll have a premium ball gratis, lol! You can then launch it into the trees, drown it into a lake, (those are the only 2 fitting options) or save it. Your choice, lol  let me know if we have a deal, ha! 🙂 Habe a great night weird betting golfing friend!:)

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 2190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!