IGNORED

Pro-V-1X vs TP5X vs Chrome Soft X

Hoganman1
Note: This thread is 2350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been experimenting with golf balls recently and I'm curious as to what forum readers think about these three "tour" quality balls. I've played the Pro-V-1X for years, but recently tried the TP5X. The TP seems a little longer off the tee and seems to perform pretty well on the greens. I haven't tried the Chrome Soft X as yet, but plan to try it soon. For the members that play one of the three, which one is your favorite and why? 

(By the way, I'm a senior with a ss in the low 80s and my strength is chipping and putting.)

Played 9 holes with the TP5x this past weekend,and hit it beside the Prov1X and the AVX. I saw no difference in distance. I thought it performed just fine, but saw nothing that would make me switch from Titleist. In fact the durability I felt was not as good as the Titleist. I have given my opinion on the Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X on several threads on here, but I feel it's the closest ball on the market in comparison to the Titleist Prov1X. I think the Titleist has an ever so slight edge, for me, off the putter. Distance, spin, playability, durability are all on par with the ProV1x. That being said IMHO it doesn't outperform the Titleist in any area so why would I want to switch?

I do have a much higher swing speed than you, so our numbers could be drastically different.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've got to say, despite my username, I've switched to the TP5x for rounds when I'm serious. It edges the PV1x ever so slightly in a couple categories for me, mostly relating to feel. Doesn't hurt that it's usually at least a few bucks cheaper and that the 2017 PV1x is half schizophrenic compared to the prior generation. That's probably the turning point for me, I just didn't like the 2017 version of the PV1x. It performed too different and IMO wasn't an improvement and in fact was inferior for my game compared to the 2016 version. I thought it was just ok where before I loved it more than any others. I don't know what they did but it's now just a slightly above average tour ball to me instead of THE ball to end all others. 

The CSx, I just don't know. It's the longest one out of the bunch for me. Piercing flight. Checks great. But once or twice a round I'll hit an iron that goes 15-20 yards longer than I'd expect. Thought it was a fluke the first time or two but when I was hitting my high fade uphill and into the wind and overshooting greens, I lost confidence in it. If you take those shots out I'd love it but it wasn't consistent enough from a distance control aspect to get more than a long look. I haven't spent much time with the graphene version that's out so it'll get a long look for sure, but I just don't trust it to this point. 

Seeing that you (OP) doesn't have the SS of the next poster, you might consider the Project (a). It's not a ball for me but I've found it to be the highest spin ball I've played. Ten bucks or so cheaper than the others too. I can't play it but I was impressed as heck with it's stopping power on half wedges. Full wedges and it just about spin back to me, lol. If you're looking for a ball for a medium swing speed that checks like a maniac around the greens, this might be a great ball for you. Even on chips and short pitches, it stops as soon as possible for a ball. If the rules permitted playing two balls I might consider using it from 50 in. Results may vary but that ball is awesome for getting short shots to stop. Another viable option might be the Q Star Tour. Along the same lines but just shy of the stopping power of the Project (a). Also easier on the budget than the mentioned balls, can be found for 20.00 a dozen much of the year. 

Depends on your game -- but if fitters put you on Trackman and you had a decent swing with a low 80's speed, you'd probably be fit into a ProV1x and the Chrome Soft (not the X) if you wanted more control around the greens (a urethane ball). Typically, you'd need more spin and more height and a steeper angle of descent - and you'd get that with these balls.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I used to play Pro V1x almost exclusively.  But I've switched to Taylormade Tour Preferred X and then the TP5X.  It is about a half of club longer for me and with great feel and spin with irons.  I don't like any Callaway golf balls.  I hate the way it feels.  Feels very hard to me.  I've tried their Hexblack and all their premium golf balls, but have not found any that I like.

Taylormade's Project (a) is also a great ball that costs a significantly less than TP5X.  I will play these in casual rounds when I don't have anything ride on the line.

• Informative 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Yessir Yukarii! The Project (a) also comes in yeller (redneck for yellow) making it easier to find in certain times of the year on certain courses. Did you switch from the ProV1x with the current (2017) model? That's when I did. It lost its appeal to me real quick. I had played it a few times and something just felt off about it when I hit a course that didn't have any so I bought a sleeve of TP5x balls. Found them to play more like the 2016 ProV1x, but maybe even a little better. Specifically in feel (subjective) and stopping power. I didn't notice much difference in distance, and I'm not good enough to notice 2-3 yards. I continued the ball experiment and bought a sleeve of the CSx yellow and black Truvis. I loved it until I started hitting wild fliers. I airmailed a few greens that should have never happened. It was a course I was very familiar with too. I'm talking balls that flew 20+ yards more than I expected. I don't know if I got a weird batch but I just haven't trusted them since. 

Edited by SmiterofPV1x
Misspelling

I switched about two years ago.  I tried Tour Preferred X and liked it better than Pro V1X.  I stayed with Taylormade since.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator

Just about everyone here should try out stuff like the Snell MTB Red or Black. No reason to be paying $40+/dozen these days.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Just about everyone here should try out stuff like the Snell MTB Red or Black. No reason to be paying $40+/dozen these days.

£29.99 here in in the UK and available in "Optic Yellow". Considering getting hold of a sample to try.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Thanks for all your input. I think I'm going to stay with the TP5X for now. It sounds like if I try a Callaway ball I should go with the regular Chrome Soft instead of the CSX.

Note: This thread is 2350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!