IGNORED

Modern Version of Ping Eye 3? Losing Distance

Note: This thread is 2148 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am 35 years old and an 8 handicap.   I have been hitting the same Ping Eye 3 Blades (black dot) for about 15 years now and love them.  They are forgiving but also allow me to work the ball (as best as an 8 handicapper can!).    They were a hand me down set from my dad who is 5’10.  I am 6'2 and have been fitted for a 1/4 to 1/2 inch extension but have yet to make any changes.  I have learned to hit the standard length clubs and I’m really afraid to tweak that much.    I have, however, lost distance as I have gotten older.   I like a carry distance of at least 165 with my 7 iron.   Over the last two years, I have only been able to carry it 150 tops.    

I am now considering buying new irons to address the loss in distance but do not want to move too far from the Ping Eye 3 design or feel.   My questions are as follows:

What is the modern Ping equivalent of the Ping Eye 3 blade?   Is there a Ping product available that has the slimmer look of a blade but that is actually a cavity back and has cavity back forgiveness?      For some reference, I tried the Titleist AP2s for a couple rounds and they were too difficult for me to hit.  

I have also hit the g400 and g700 on a simulator but not a fan of the bulkiness.  However, I hit the g400 and g700  7 iron 175-180 with them so I can tell that technology does make difference regardless even if the lie angle is bit different.

I love Ping but open to other brands as well.    Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

2 hours ago, zellmea0 said:

I am 35 years old and an 8 handicap.   I have been hitting the same Ping Eye 3 Blades (black dot) for about 15 years now and love them.  They are forgiving but also allow me to work the ball (as best as an 8 handicapper can!).    They were a hand me down set from my dad who is 5’10.  I am 6'2 and have been fitted for a 1/4 to 1/2 inch extension but have yet to make any changes.  I have learned to hit the standard length clubs and I’m really afraid to tweak that much.    I have, however, lost distance as I have gotten older.   I like a carry distance of at least 165 with my 7 iron.   Over the last two years, I have only been able to carry it 150 tops.    

I am now considering buying new irons to address the loss in distance but do not want to move too far from the Ping Eye 3 design or feel.   My questions are as follows:

What is the modern Ping equivalent of the Ping Eye 3 blade?   Is there a Ping product available that has the slimmer look of a blade but that is actually a cavity back and has cavity back forgiveness?      For some reference, I tried the Titleist AP2s for a couple rounds and they were too difficult for me to hit.  

I have also hit the g400 and g700 on a simulator but not a fan of the bulkiness.  However, I hit the g400 and g700  7 iron 175-180 with them so I can tell that technology does make difference regardless even if the lie angle is bit different.

I love Ping but open to other brands as well.    Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Did you try the Ping i200? Great irons. Late August, early September I believe Ping is coming out with an ‘i500’ so you may want to wait. 

If you’re a Ping fan you would probably like the i200’s. And of course you can wait and see the i500’s. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You could pick up a set of Ping I25 or the Ping ie1 for short money.  Callaway Apex Pro, Taylormade 770...other choices to look at.  Ping fan myself...the ie1 has the 431 stainless which feels much better than the I25 irons.

Losing distance at age 35?.. That shouldn't be happening.  Might want to have a pro take a look too.

9 hours ago, zellmea0 said:

I am 35 years old and an 8 handicap.   I have been hitting the same Ping Eye 3 Blades (black dot) for about 15 years now and love them.  They are forgiving but also allow me to work the ball

Any club can be "worked". These irons will not allow you to "work" the ball any more or less than others. Spin is imparted upon the ball by club path/angle, not perimeter weighting or lack thereof.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I don't think Ping i3 are blades?  Cavity back at least.

If you are a Ping fan I would try the Ping i200 for sure.

Note: This thread is 2148 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!