IGNORED

Ball moves in backswing, penalty?

MacDutch
Note: This thread is 2160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Maybe easy for the rules experts here, but I didn’t know the answer.

situation: ball in the rough, I address nothing happens, then I start my backswing and the ball moves more then an inch, less then 2 during backswing. I have a short stop at the end of my backswing and decide in a split second to continue and hit the ball well. Bit of a Matsuyama swing said my playing partner.

So what should be the verdict of a rules official?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am just guessing here, but no penalty since the ball started moving after the back swing started.  I think 14.5 applies here. Like I said, just a guess on my part. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Rule 14-5 does not penalize you for having the ball move in your backswing and proceeding to hit the ball. 

I'd say you should take a penalty under 18-2. There isn't much that causes a ball to move in the rough than your club causing it to move. With out other evidence to the contrary, you caused the ball to move. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

The new 18-2/0.5 Decision gives the answer. It is quite lengthy with examples but the bottom line is ; "If the weight of evidence indicates that it is more likely than not that the player caused the ball to move, even though that conclusion is not free from doubt, the player incurs a one-stroke penalty under Rule 18-2 "

We all agree that if the player does not ground the club or touch anything during the backswing, the presumptive conclusion, barring other factors, is that the ball moved as a result of something other than influence by the player?

Brian Kuehn

17 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

We all agree that if the player does not ground the club or touch anything during the backswing, the presumptive conclusion, barring other factors, is that the ball moved as a result of something other than influence by the player?

Well, I do, but the way that rule 18.2 reads, a player can be penalized based on "almost"  an asumption. ,"More likely than not" and " is not free from doubt" kind of puts the screws to rule 14.5.......lol

In the OP's post he does not say he grounded the club, only that he addressed the ball. I know alot of golfers, myself included who address the ball without grounding the club, especially when in the rough. 

In My Bag:

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Patch said:

In the OP's post he does not say he grounded the club, only that he addressed the ball. I know alot of golfers, myself included who address the ball without grounding the club, especially when in the rough. 

B9D10F9E-F397-419F-97F8-1C2CB03D1839.jpeg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, iacas said:

B9D10F9E-F397-419F-97F8-1C2CB03D1839.jpeg

Didn't know that. So, with that, I guess I don't address the ball, since rarely ever ground the club.

In My Bag:

I addressed the ball, there was nothing else that could have made the ball move then taking the club backwards in my backswing. So thats an extra stroke for me. Thanks for explaining.

!8-2 was a lot clearer 8 years ago when there was an 18-2b

:"Ball Moving After Address 
If a player’s ball in play moves after he has addressed it (other than as a result of a stroke), the player is deemed to have moved the ball and incurs a penalty stroke. The ball must be replaced unless the movement of the ball occurs after the player has begun the stroke or the backward movement of the club for the stroke and the stroke is made.

:.

Note: This thread is 2160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!