iacas

NFL's New Helmet Rule

Helmet Rule  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like/agree with the NFL's new helmet rule (see the first post)?

• Yes, I like it.
    • No, I don't like it.

7 posts / 2660 viewsLast Reply

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I saw a few college games where the helmet rule  was questionable but I believe leading a tackle with the helmet is not good for the game.   

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My main/only (?) problem is that your head sticks out pretty far above your shoulders. I guess the "protection" against that is if you don't go horizontal, but if you're going to try to tackle someone low - which you have to do against powerful runners, etc. - then you're going to be horizontal. So… will low tackling be made difficult to do legally now?

I like it. One not so important reason is I think it could have an impact on getting back to form tackling. A lot less “going for the big hit” and completely missing the guy they are tying to hit lol. Especially from guys in the secondary...

If the new rule saves just one player from a permanent injury, or series of injuries that ends a player's career, it's a good rule.

9 hours ago, iacas said:

My main/only (?) problem is that your head sticks out pretty far above your shoulders. I guess the "protection" against that is if you don't go horizontal, but if you're going to try to tackle someone low - which you have to do against powerful runners, etc. - then you're going to be horizontal. So… will low tackling be made difficult to do legally now?

I think this will be where the controversy will arise from. Powerful RB get low, so to tackle them, you will have to go low too. Same with receivers who dive forward like the one shown with Amendola.

But if they follow the third point listed, then ejection would be harder, “the player had other options.” This is where they will have to spend a lot of time to make sure they get it right.

It's hard to not be for anything that might prevent a head injury (so I voted that I liked it), but I just see it being another giant gray area. Most of the examples on the video looked to be "helmet to helmet" which I thought was already illegal.

I don't know what the answer is, but I like that the league recognizes head injuries as a serious matter.