IGNORED

does a hazard have to be marked to be a hazard?

RandyBobbitt
Note: This thread is 2135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My home course has plenty of water hazards and lateral hazards, but few of them are marked with stakes or lines. These two questions came up during a recent round:

On several holes there are wooded areas (no water) that begin 20 to 30 feet from the edge of the fairways. No hazard stakes, no OB markers. If you're brave enough to go in to find your ball, you might be able to play it back to the fairway. Most players simply play these as lateral hazards even without the markings, but my understanding is that without hazard stakes/lines or OB stakes/lines, this is a lost ball -- go back to the tee. 

But what about lakes and ponds much closer to the fairway? Are these presumed to be hazards, even without stakes? These were marked as hazards for a recent college tournament, but as a practical matter, I understand why they don't mark these for everyday play. So do we just apply the hazard/lateral hazard rules? Or is it a lost ball, even when you see the splash?

Just askin'

Edited by RandyBobbitt

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Rocketballz (non-adjustable), 10.5 degrees, stock graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados w/SuperStroke grip 
Ball: Bridgestone RXS

• Administrator

No.

If it meets the definition, it's a water hazard.

If some area of woods don't meet the definition of a water hazard… then it's not a water hazard. It's often a lost ball, as you noted.

See here: http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!decision-26,d26-3 .

26/3 - Unmarked Water Hazard

Q.An unmarked ditch on the left of a hole is in bounds, but the left-hand margin is out of bounds. Accordingly, it is impossible to drop behind the water hazard under Rule 26-1b. A player's ball comes to rest in the ditch. Is the player restricted to playing the ball as it lies or proceeding under Rule 26-1a?

A.It is the responsibility of the Committee to define accurately the margins of water hazards and lateral water hazards - see Rule 33-2a. However, if the Committee has not done so, the ditch is, by definition, a lateral water hazard and the player should be permitted to proceed under Rule 26-1c(i).

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Technically, and as shown by iacas, hazards can still be hazards even if they are not marked.

But to reduce confusion, arguments, and speed play, they should be marked. Changes coming in 2019 may help to reduce confusion and speed play with regard to hazards, but a well marked course is what golf courses and their committees should be working towards.  

Talking about this, I have another question. At our course the hazards are all marked with markers and normally painted lines. Here in Florida, there are quite a few ponds, lakes, water hazards. We are in our rainy season right now, and these ponds, lakes, and water hazards are overflowing. If you look at the hazard markers, they could be 10 feet into the water. Does the hazard move with the water line, or if my ball falls between the water line and the hazard marker, is that now casual water where I can take a free drop?

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Really good question. I believe that in a tournament, the director would be expected to remark the water hazard with a new boundary line and possibly move the stakes too.

Remember you are not required to take a drop, you can play the ball as it lies assuming you can find it, so one might argue that water outside the hazard markings is then "casual water", nope. The director or committee is required to mark the hazard properly and in the even of an error in it's marking, the player is not allowed to take relief.

See Rules and Decisions 26/2

10 hours ago, Rkrider99 said:

Talking about this, I have another question. At our course the hazards are all marked with markers and normally painted lines. Here in Florida, there are quite a few ponds, lakes, water hazards. We are in our rainy season right now, and these ponds, lakes, and water hazards are overflowing. If you look at the hazard markers, they could be 10 feet into the water. Does the hazard move with the water line, or if my ball falls between the water line and the hazard marker, is that now casual water where I can take a free drop?

25/2

Overflow from Water Hazard

Q.If a pond (water hazard) has overflowed, is the overflow casual water?

A.Yes. Any overflow of water from a water hazard which is outside the margin of the hazard is casual water.

1-4/7

Ball Lost in Either Water Hazard or Casual Water Overflowing Hazard

Q.It is known or virtually certain that a ball is lost either in a water hazard or in an area of casual water overflowing the hazard, but it is not known which. What is the proper procedure?

A.In equity (Rule 1-4), the player must proceed under the water hazard Rule. (Revised)

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

(edited)

So the consensus seems to be that these unmarked lakes, ponds, and ditches are to be played as hazards. That does raise another question -- how to determine where the ball crossed the margin of a hazard when there are no lines or stakes? 

The incident that prompted this question occurred on a par-5 with a lake extending the entire right side of the hole, meeting the definition of a "lateral hazard." My ball started down the right side of the fairway, faded slightly and hit in the rough, then bounced 90 degrees to the right and into the water. But there was no well-defined water line to use as the margin of the hazard. There was rough, then a sloping bank, then 5 to 10 feet of marsh, then water. This was not a competition, but my group always plays by the rules. We agreed that the farthest point to which you could safely step (where the bank turned into marsh) would be the edge of the hazard. Two club-lengths from there allowed me to drop in the rough. Does this make sense?  

Edited by RandyBobbitt

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Rocketballz (non-adjustable), 10.5 degrees, stock graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados w/SuperStroke grip 
Ball: Bridgestone RXS

9 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I need to read the rules book more often.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

• Administrator

@RandyBobbitt you use the definition of a hazard (and some common sense) to determine where the margin is.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

From the excellent USGA publication, How to Conduct a Competition, page 35, tells us how to mark water hazards and lateral water hazards:

Stakes or lines should be so placed that they include in the hazard not only the water, but also rough banks and unkempt growth related directly to it. In general, they should be placed where the ground breaks down to form the depression containing the water. 

Edited by Asheville
"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Note: This thread is 2135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!