IGNORED

Problems striking the ground behind the ball?

LAMountaineer
Note: This thread is 2124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a 67 YO retiree with a 24.5 handicap who consistently strikes the ground first -- about 1-2 inches behind the ball -- no matter what club is in my hand.  I have tried moving the ball forward and backwards in my stance.  I also have tried focusing on the front, center, and rear of the ball prior to starting my swing.  Nothing has changed.  When I strike the ball first, the results are good.  Drives somewhere between 220 - 230.  Lately, my swing has become much more consistent that ever before.  But, that consistency means that I am striking the same spot -- about two inches behind my aim point -- no matter what club is in my hand.  Are there any others out there who have suffered with this same problem?  If so, what have you tried to help solve the problem?  Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, LAMountaineer said:

I am a 67 YO retiree with a 24.5 handicap who consistently strikes the ground first -- about 1-2 inches behind the ball -- no matter what club is in my hand.  I have tried moving the ball forward and backwards in my stance.  I also have tried focusing on the front, center, and rear of the ball prior to starting my swing.  Nothing has changed.  When I strike the ball first, the results are good.  Drives somewhere between 220 - 230.  Lately, my swing has become much more consistent that ever before.  But, that consistency means that I am striking the same spot -- about two inches behind my aim point -- no matter what club is in my hand.  Are there any others out there who have suffered with this same problem?  If so, what have you tried to help solve the problem?  Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Key #2? Where's your weight at impact?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good question.  I have tried a modified version of the Stack & Tilt, tried to keep my weight back, centered, and forward.  Nothing seems to help.  I believe that my swing has been so bad for so long that now that I am getting better, this portion of my old, bad habits just won't go away.

I am near your age. When I hit a fat shot it's usually one of two things. I drop my rear shoulder prior to impact, or I don't shift my weight forward properly. Maybe a combination of both sometimes. 

My cures are keeping my shoulders as level as possible, and/or doing my step through drill, where I walk through with my rear foot during my down swing, just prior to impact. This drill reminds me what it feels like to transfer my weight. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

All good information.   To help focus on Key #2 place a towel on the ground about 2" behind the ball.   You'll get a quick visual about your weight shift and it may help you.   Do you have a swing video?

Member Swing video

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

when i hit the ball bad it's usually from chunking it, or catching too much turf before the ball.....   i was always trying to take a pro type divot lol.....  

Well to counter this, the thing i worked on was to " pluck the ball " off the ground and try to take a small divot or none at all....     

I seen one video where the guy takes a can of white spray paint and puts the ball down on the line and then uses that to see where he is hitting the ground at...  

or look on youtube for Meandmygolf they have a bunch of good videos on hitting your irons better...

It is what it is

When I hit the ground it is almost always because I am flipping my wrists, which releases the club too early sending it right into the ground.

Edited by Inferno2ss

My father used to do that and he found that he was not dragging the club back in his back swing rather he was picking the club yp and it was throwing his whole swing off, You might try slowing down your back swing.

Note: This thread is 2124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!