IGNORED

Putter help

Note: This thread is 2124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I'm in the market for a new putter, which just so happens to be the worst part of my game. Came across 2 separate Scotty Cameron putters in my price range but don't know which to get, the futura X or GoLo select. Can anyone attest to the pros or cons and which would be better?

Thanks!

The obvious answer is which ever putter you can make the most putts with. It's your score card, and you are responsible for the numbers you write down. Putters, regardless of make, are just tools for the end user.. 

I can honestly tell you I own three Scotty Camerons, which for me, are great dust collectors. Two were gifts, and one was won in a raffle. This does not mean SCs are not a good putter. They are top of the line, made famous by Tiger, and work quite well in the right hands.

My new gamer putter now sells on eBay for $10-$15 dollars, and I make alot of putts with it. Best score saving club in my bag. 

My point is, try some different putters out. If one of the Scotty's work out best for you, there's your answer.

Also check on getting a putter fitting for your paticular stroke. Some putters, with different weight designs, work better than others, depending on the golfer's stroke. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, Patch said:

The obvious answer is which ever putter you can make the most putts with. It's your score card, and you are responsible for the numbers you write down. Putters, regardless of make, are just tools for the end user.. 

I can honestly tell you I own three Scotty Camerons, which for me, are great dust collectors. Two were gifts, and one was won in a raffle. This does not mean SCs are not a good putter. They are top of the line, made famous by Tiger, and work quite well in the right hands.

My new gamer putter now sells on eBay for $10-$15 dollars, and I make alot of putts with it. Best score saving club in my bag. 

My point is, try some different putters out. If one of the Scotty's work out best for you, there's your answer.

Also check on getting a putter fitting for your paticular stroke. Some putters, with different weight designs, work better than others, depending on the golfer's stroke. 

Are you trying to sell these dust collectors? Lol

27 minutes ago, hockeyman said:

Are you trying to sell these dust collectors? Lol

No, the two that were gifts were from my daughter's. Don't want to hurt their feelings.

The raffle one, my Granddaughter has just started using in her quest to develope her game. 

I did try them out a few weeks ago when I was forced to find a new gamer putter. Great putters, just not comfortable using them. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Evenroll seams to have taken the putting scene by storm the last couple years as one of the best tested on the market in both mallet and blade. 

There are a lot of really nice putters on the market and before spending your hard earned cash I would set an appointment and go through a putter fitting.  You maybe surprised at what you end up with.

• Like 1

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Do not buy based on name or logo or what some pro uses or reputation or other peoples opinion on a golf forum.  Try many, many putters including different styles/shapes.  If you find one that really works, walk away from it and try some others.  Then go back and see if it really works, still.    The best expert on what works for you is.... you.  

I can directly compare the Futura X and Golos as I have tried both.

The Futura X is a full mallet famous for being used in Adam Scott's 2013 Masters win.  It is a cumbersome beast with some of the most stability help you can imagine in a putter.  Face-balanced and tends to suit more a slighter arc rather than a more rounded arc.  It is a lot of putter to haul around if you prefer a lot of movement and shaping the path.  But it is good if you prefer the putter to really constrain your actions so you get a consistent result.  You might say the Futura is a train, going only down one path.

The GOLOs are mid-mallets (which have been in the bags of PGA competition winners) of which there are many different models and sizes such as the 3, 5 and 6 (progression in size).  They have squarish backs except for the R versions which have rounded backs.  They have a bit more toe-flow than the Futuras.  They may feel a bit more natural in the swing and maybe a bit easier to shape the arc to trace the break.  But with less guidance from the putter, they swing in a less structured fashion than the Futura.

You need to figure out if you prefer a blade (Newports), a mid-mallet (GOLOs/Squarebacks/Roundbacks) or a mallet (Futuras).  In general, a blade is great for distance control but harder for directional control, a mallet is great for directional control but harder for distance control.  The blade has more ability to shape the putter swing path to follow lines of break and more ability to change the amount of power and distance by microscopic amounts.  However, the more bladish, the lower MOI and less forgiving.  The more malletish, the higher MOI and more forgiveness.  A mid-mallet may blend the advantages or disadvantages of both. 

If you really want to dive deep into the subject, different shapes and lines work with your brain to get you to point and orient the putter head differently and this is very individual to the person!

I recently went through a few days of putter fitting.  It looked for my arc or lack of an arc.  They even had me compare the beast I used to play with and used it as a starting point.   After the first day we got it down to a list of 8 or so I liked.  I Waited a day, came back and got it down to 4 including price point. Finally I made my choice.  I was lucky I had a golf pro who listened more that sold.  In fact, ended up with the putter I first liked.  I could have cone with an SC but they never said "me".  I became a firm believer to try before you by just from that

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Getting fit for a putter is a far better plan than a household name one.  The reason you see so many Scotty Camerons on tour, I believe, is that he was among the first to do extensive putter fitting for the pros.  Get fit for whatever putter you buy.  I got fit for an Edel about three years ago and I think it might have been my smartest club purchase ever.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 2124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!