IGNORED

Titleist vs Taylormade Irons

Note: This thread is 2084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I'm looking into some new irons I think I've narrowed it down to either the TaylorMade P series irons or Titleist AP series.  I know it comes down to what I hit better BUT I'm just looking for people who have experience in both or one of the sets I am looking at (TaylorMade P750, P770 or Titleist AP2 or AP3) just from an aesthetic, feel, and overall wear and tear perspective.  My irons now are Nike VR Split Cavity, I've had them for about 8 years now and they still look basically brand new, I take excellent care of them.  They are bladey looking but have the cavity back that offers the forgiveness on a shot that's not 100% in the middle of the face and I would like to stay with that same look.  I'm certainly not good enough to play a P730 that's too baldey for me so I'm looking for something with the looks of a blade but the forgiveness of a cavity backed iron.

Thanks!!

Thomas

Driver: :tmade: M3 10*  3 Wood: :nike: Vapor Fly 12*  Hybrid: :tmade: P790 UDI 2 Iron  Irons: :titleist: 716 AP2 (4-PW)  Wedges: :vokey:  52*, 56*, 60* Putter: :tmade: TP Juno  Shoes: :nike: Lunar Command,  :adidas: 360 Traxion, :adidas: Tour Boost 360  Bag: :titleist: 2016 Lightweight Stand Bag

1 hour ago, Tommy_Boy14 said:

So I'm looking into some new irons I think I've narrowed it down to either the TaylorMade P series irons or Titleist AP series.  I know it comes down to what I hit better BUT I'm just looking for people who have experience in both or one of the sets I am looking at (TaylorMade P750, P770 or Titleist AP2 or AP3) just from an aesthetic, feel, and overall wear and tear perspective.  My irons now are Nike VR Split Cavity, I've had them for about 8 years now and they still look basically brand new, I take excellent care of them.  They are bladey looking but have the cavity back that offers the forgiveness on a shot that's not 100% in the middle of the face and I would like to stay with that same look.  I'm certainly not good enough to play a P730 that's too baldey for me so I'm looking for something with the looks of a blade but the forgiveness of a cavity backed iron.

Thanks!!

You are a 6 handicap...how are you not good enough to play a blade??  If its preference, I get it, but don't sell yourself short by saying you aren't good enough to play a blade.  I started playing blades about 8-9 years ago when I was about a 10-12 handicap.  Bought a set of Nike TW Blades.  Rode them down to about a 4 handicap.  Next set was the Nike VR Pro blades and rode them down to a 1 handicap.  Just recently upgraded to the Callaway Apex MB irons...hoping to ride them into the plus handicaps.  I would go to a golf shop and hit some blades, you might be surprised at how well you hit them.  It has made me put some work into making center face contact which has improved my game. 

Best thing to do is to go get fitted.  Go with an open mind and not be focused on a specific brand.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Tommy_Boy14 said:

aesthetic, feel, and overall wear and tear

I've had the 718 AP2's since last fall and absolutely love them.  I'm nowhere near your skill level and have only played about 15 rounds total maybe with them but I'm they are beautiful, feel great, and I've noticed no wear and tear.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

All the major brands produce good clubs. If you are looking for something that is blade-ish in looks, but has some game improvement help. A short list off the top of my head, 

Taylormade and Callaway produce blade irons that are not in the traditional design of muscle back (i.e. titles MB's).
The Mizuno JPX line is good.
I like my Srixon set a lot. They offer a great selection of golf shaft options at no upcharge. 
I wouldn't discount Ping irons.

I would just get fitted and try out a bunch of them. You might be surprised what you end up with. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 8/3/2018 at 5:39 AM, Tommy_Boy14 said:

Thanks!!

Fyi, the P770 is analogous to the Ap2 (player’s cavity back) and the P790 is analogous to the Ap3 (hollow player’s distance iron).  If you are considering TaylorMade P750 then that would be more like the Titleist CB (minimalist cavity back).  And of course each company’s blade would be comparable.

They all look close to blades from the top IMO except the P790, which is a bit bigger.  The AP3 has more noticeable offset than the others.

Note: This thread is 2084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!