IGNORED

My Swing (Hugh Jars)

Hugh Jars
Note: This thread is 1005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 6 months
My current handicap index or average score is: About 50 over nine holes 
My typical ball flight is: inconsistent
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: slicing my driver and digging up turf with my irons

Videos: 

Hello all, newby here. 

I had my first lesson with a pro today. Leading up to the lesson I've been suffering the yips with my irons. Shanking balls everywhere and digging up tonnes of turf. It was time to get some professional help. 

These are videos of my swings prior to the lesson, a couple of months old now.

The pro focused on the following things with me. Standing further away from the ball and correcting my posture. "A fist and a thumb" away from the end of my club. Standing up and not bending at the knees so much. In fact he suggested I just hinge at the hips and not even consciously bend my knees.

He also focused on incorporating a "7 o'clock to 1 o'clock" swing plane, with 12 o'clock being directly towards the target. The purpose of this was to bring about releasing my wrist and front arm through the shot. I have tons of practice to do with a drill he gave me until I start getting serious about hitting full swings. Towards the lesson and afterwards I was starting to feel better about my drives in particular, which werent slicing and I was getting greater distance with less effort.

He mentioned that a large percentage of power comes from this wrist snap.

Anyway, I will keep working and documenting my progress.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and tips.

Edited by Hugh Jars

2 hours ago, Hugh Jars said:

I've been Playing Golf for: 6 months
My current handicap index or average score is: About 50 over nine holes 
My typical ball flight is: inconsistent
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: slicing my driver and digging up turf with my irons

Videos: 

Hello all, newby here. 

I had my first lesson with a pro today. Leading up to the lesson I've been suffering the yips with my irons. Shanking balls everywhere and digging up tonnes of turf. It was time to get some professional help. 

These are videos of my swings prior to the lesson, a couple of months old now.

The pro focused on the following things with me. Standing further away from the ball and correcting my posture. "A fist and a thumb" away from the end of my club. Standing up and not bending at the knees so much. In fact he suggested I just hinge at the hips and not even consciously bend my knees.

He also focused on incorporating a "7 o'clock to 1 o'clock" swing plane, with 12 o'clock being directly towards the target. The purpose of this was to bring about releasing my wrist and front arm through the shot. I have tons of practice to do with a drill he gave me until I start getting serious about hitting full swings. Towards the lesson and afterwards I was starting to feel better about my drives in particular, which werent slicing and I was getting greater distance with less effort.

He mentioned that a large percentage of power comes from this wrist snap.

Anyway, I will keep working and documenting my progress.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and tips.

It would be nice to see your current swing as a comparison.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
On 8/20/2018 at 7:11 PM, boogielicious said:

It would be nice to see your current swing as a comparison.

Here is some swings I took today using practice balls in the front yard. Ive been focusing on my set up - standing further from the ball. Ive also been working on hitting more 7 oclock to 1 oclock, doing heaps of half swings. But from the looks of things it seems like not much has changed.

Played 9 holes yesterday and shot 50. Thought I played ok - drives felt much better standing further from the ball.

Any tips, observations would be appreciated.

Edited by Hugh Jars

(edited)

Hoping to get some tips to flatten my downswing. I have a tendency to come in very steep and dig up turf. I’ve been working on my positioning - standing further from the ball, fist and thumb from the end of the club.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=26b180e008f40bf0

0968222B-F5E8-4BFF-AF88-B57B64D673FD.jpeg

Here is the link to my swing thread

the 

Edited by Hugh Jars

Your backswing could have a big influence on you downswing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

(edited)

Here is another video from the range today. I’ve been doing heaps of half swings focussing on directing the club on a 7 o’clock to 1 o’clock path. I can shallow the club with my practice swings, and get decent (75-80%) power with half swings compared to full swings. But when transitioning to a full swing I go back to being steep on the downswing.

I just want to be able to transition my work with halfswings into a full swing. 

Edited by Hugh Jars

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jars said:

Here is another video from the range today. I’ve been doing heaps of half swings focussing on directing the club on a 7 o’clock to 1 o’clock path. I can shallow the club with my practice swings, and get decent (75-80%) power with half swings compared to full swings. But when transitioning to a full swing I go back to being steep on the downswing.

I just want to be able to transition my work with halfswings into a full swing. 

You've made progress, but I think you should also work on your shoulder turn. As @saevel25 stated, your backswing has a lot to do with your downswing.

The thread below is a good read for that.

And item number 4 in this thread is a great way to work on the flexibility and strength to improve your shoulder turn. I do this as a warm up every time I practice and play. If you do it in from of a mirror, you can gauge the improvement.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

You can swing 7-to-1 on your practice swing because it's not a good swing:

01.jpg

What would be helpful is some good face on and down the line video in slow motion.

I'm sure your phone can do it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
10 hours ago, iacas said:

You can swing 7-to-1 on your practice swing because it's not a good swing:

01.jpg

What would be helpful is some good face on and down the line video in slow motion.

I'm sure your phone can do it.

Thanks, Ill work on getting some front on footage.

Whats wrong with this swing plane if you dont mind me asking?

Edited by Hugh Jars

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Hugh Jars said:

Whats wrong with this swing plane if you dont mind me asking?

I said it’s not a good swing. I didn’t say anything about the plane.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 hours ago, Hugh Jars said:

Tough to swing outward if you barely turn your hips. Check out how little the lower body moves, the arms/club basically have no other option than to swing well across it.

hugh jars `.jpg

Compare that to this player on the right. Notice how much more his legs have changed flex and how much more he's able to rotate his torso/hips.

Jars 2.jpg

I'd check out these two threads. Start reducing the fade/slice pieces. Add in the draw pieces.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

20 hours ago, mvmac said:

Tough to swing outward if you barely turn your hips. Check out how little the lower body moves, the arms/club basically have no other option than to swing well across it.

hugh jars `.jpg

Compare that to this player on the right. Notice how much more his legs have changed flex and how much more he's able to rotate his torso/hips.

Jars 2.jpg

I'd check out these two threads. Start reducing the fade/slice pieces. Add in the draw pieces.

Thankyou, this is great. I never noticed the lack of hip rotation and flexion with my front knee. Ive been so set on being as still as possible with my legs as Ive always thought flexing them would move my head and throw the rest of my swing off track.

The articles were very interesting too. I will practice this and video my progress.

(edited)

Been doing some work on getting more hip rotation and front leg flex into my swing. 

Not sure how this will translate on the range and course - will try it out tomorrow. Feels like Im generating easier power. Also, I’m not sure I’ve been able to improve significantly on shallowing the club out. 

Any tips, observations appreciated.

Edited by Hugh Jars

• Administrator

@Hugh Jars, it’s gonna take more than a few days man.

5 hours ago, Hugh Jars said:

Been doing some work on getting more hip rotation and front leg flex into my swing. 

Not sure how this will translate on the range and course - will try it out tomorrow. Feels like Im generating easier power. Also, I’m not sure I’ve been able to improve significantly on shallowing the club out. 

Any tips, observations appreciated.

Looks better, but as @iacas stated, it is going to take a while for it to be automatic. Remember to practice slowly too as per the thread below. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

10 hours ago, Hugh Jars said:

Also, I’m not sure I’ve been able to improve significantly on shallowing the club out. 

Not a bad start, also notice how the left arm is less outward. As @iacas said, it's going to take some time. Try to post a face-on swing.

hugh.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 1005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!