SemperFi

My Swing (SemperFi)

14 posts / 1081 viewsLast Reply

I've been Playing Golf for: 25 years 
My current handicap index or average score is: 110
My typical ball flight is: Left push/Slice
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Both and become for consistent

Videos: 

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

You've got that typical ridiculous amount of looseness at the top of the backswing where the wrists drastically break and the left arm collapses that makes playing good golf near impossible.

Thanks for the insight.  I have been trying to work on my swing for the past 2 years. I've taken a lesson every year from a PGA professional and that is the first time I've been told that. And looking at my swing I see what you mean. So how does one fix that? Any drills. Tips?

Edited by SemperFi

After a second look I’d say the wrists aren’t actually too bad but looked it because of how much that left arm collapses. An extremely straight left arm definitely isn’t something that’s required to play great golf but the amount of bend has to be within reason and should not collapse at the top of the backswing which I certainly think yours does.

Look at the two screenshots I attached both for just how much that arm has collapsed and for another potentially even bigger problem which is your horizontal sway away from the target. That is a very large amount of sway and will make getting back into position really tough if not impossible on a regular basis.

6426DBCA-1815-420C-96C6-1F95FE52BD39.jpeg

6431FDF8-3052-4EB0-8363-A688D8E5DE55.jpeg

Im no expert but i'll try give my opinion.

1) you dont have a full shoulder turn

2) your left arm bends on the backswing

3) chicken wing right elbow on the downswing

Some of the things i picked up.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, SemperFi said:

Thanks for the insight.  I have been trying to work on my swing for the past 2 years. I've taken a lesson every year from a PGA professional and that is the first time I've been told that. And looking at my swing I see what you mean. So how does one fix that? Any drills. Tips?

I agree with the others about your shoulder and hip turn on the backswing. I think your left arm collapses because you are trying to reach back to make up for less shoulder and hip turn and get your hands as high as possible.

Below are a couple of really good threads on this. Read them, then start to work on improving your shoulder turn.

To improve flexibility and get a more full shoulder and hip turn, try item number four in this thread. 

After thoughtful consideration about my Golf swing and where I want to be as a player of this wondeful game I have signed up for GolfTec lessons.  I had my analysis today and while there no big surprises it was eye opening.  I have a lot of work to do.  There was no way I could have ever broken 100 without help.  So thanks for the swing analysis it gave me a push in the right direction.

4 hours ago, SemperFi said:

Heres my updated swing

Still seems like you are breaking that left arm and not keeping it straight although it is somewhat better. I have fought this as well and have done thousands of slow practice swings this winter to try and get rid of it.

1 hour ago, Bo the Golfer said:

Still seems like you are breaking that left arm and not keeping it straight although it is somewhat better. I have fought this as well and have done thousands of slow practice swings this winter to try and get rid of it.

Yes I know.  I have tried to keep the left arm straight while swinging.  What technique do you use?  Do you break the wrists earlier or just work on flexibility?  I feel my arm just won't do that.

Edited by SemperFi

7 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Yes I know.  I have tried to keep the left arm straight while swinging.  What technique do you use?  Do you break the wrists earlier or just work on flexibility?  I feel my arm just won't do that.

I work on flexibility as that is an issue for me. I also take very slow swings with a weighted club for 5 to 10 minutes a day keeping my left arm straight. I'm knee deep in snow here but was in Florida last week and finally hit some balls and I am definitely seeing changes for the better.

48 minutes ago, Bo the Golfer said:

I work on flexibility as that is an issue for me. I also take very slow swings with a weighted club for 5 to 10 minutes a day keeping my left arm straight. I'm knee deep in snow here but was in Florida last week and finally hit some balls and I am definitely seeing changes for the better.

Good to hear.

As @iacas asked above, what are you trying to work on specifically? @boogielicious and others suggested some directions. I'd focus on one at a time, and post progress.