IGNORED

Slump

Dunit507
Note: This thread is 2081 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I’m probably not the only one who has ever gone from solid to struggling and feel like the swing is lost. I had been fighting it for about 2-3 weeks. Going from shooting mid 70’s to struggling to break 90. Well today it finally clicked. I got back to basics and found a simple swing thought. Boom 1st tee a monster dead straight, sand wedge to 10 feet. 2 putts and some confidence. I end up making 4 bogeys, 2 birdies. I holed my sand shot on 18 for good measure! Hit 13 GIR!!! I missed 7 in a row yesterday! Round of 74 feels like 10 under right now! Guess I’m just excited to feel like I can still play the game and for anyone who is in a similar situation remember..... don’t over think. Go back to basics!

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You're lucky you figured it out on your own while there is still some summer left. I had to take a lesson yesterday to get straightened out. 

I know it’s simple but I was flexing my left, lead arm at address. I exaggerated the stiff left arm at address and was banging it all day. Club championship is in a month and I think I was in my own head trying to prepare and put pressure on myself. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

I thought I was the only one in this predicament. Started about 3 weeks ago. Shooting mid 70's, low 80's. Now it's 89, 92, 96, and that's the adjusted score for handicap purposes. I took an 11 on one par 5 hole Sunday. I'm signed up for a lesson from our Pro later this week. I hope he sees something obvious. I'm so bummed, I don't even feel like playing.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Yea I know that feeling. Yesterday I quit after 7 holes. I missed 7 greens. Made 7 bogeys. Used the guys in front of me walking as the excuse cause sick of waiting on them but realistically it was just awful, awful play that led me to give up. But I was sitting around last night and thought about what could be the issue. I watched some old videos of my swing. Thought about when I was younger how I always used to exaggerate my stiff lead arm and tuck my chin to the point my friends would make fun of me for the way it looked..... and I went back to it. It’s usually something simple. 

I have always gone from playing good golf, to playing poorly. I just figured that's the way one'golf game goes. 

I gave up years ago trying to figure out how, or why this cycle takes place. Sometime it was mental, other times it was a physical thing. Just never knew which, unless an injury was involved. Obviously fatiqued is on that short list.

This year, for the first time, while playing pretty well, I decided to stop playing for a while. This before my game went sour. I do continue to practice however.

In the past, I would always play through my poor rounds , eventually getting back to my better game. Sometimes it took longer than I cared for to get my game back. 

I just figured this time I would leave my good game, and hopefully, when I start playing again, my good game will be with in easy reach to continue on. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I had a streak before this cold streak where I couldn’t miss. Every shot solid. Then slowly The driver went. Then the irons went. Then I’m missing from 70 yards with a sand wedge. I’m just hoping that this good day is repeatable and tomorrow morning I find it just as easy.

I’m almost afraid to post this cause it looks like I’m playing an easy course but today I just drove the ball so well that hit for my approach to the green

Sw,GW,GW,GW,SW,W,W,8,chip (one par 3 was a W, the 5 I had to lay up and the chip was driveable 4 and I was just off)

GW,SW,SW,9,SW,SW,7,8,GW (9 and 7 off the 3’s, the par 5 I missed short right was a SW)

For the record 129/69.3 for the tees I played today)

I know I can't always shoot in the 70's. I'm usually happy if I can keep it under 85. Anything over that, and I start worrying about the swing. I was the same way a few weeks ago, I loved going out for a game, because it seemed I couldn't do anything wrong. Then all of a sudden a shank here and there, and then I was shanking 3-4 shots in a row. Maybe the next time out, I'd get back to an 83 with no shanks. Then they'd come back again. Then the confidence starts going, and after that, the game sucks. Last year I had a slump, and decided to hang up the clubs for about 2 weeks, then started going out to practice, and the game came back. Sometimes I think I may be golfing too much, and I lose interest, and it becomes a mental thing.

Going to go out this afternoon, and just try to go back to basics. My fairways and greens mantra. Not try killing the ball, not try any fancy shots, just hit the fairway, and leave me in a position to hit the green.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

I really think I got in my own head with the club championship in a month and stressing out about trying to prepare. If I drive the ball well, as evident from my round today I think I’ll be fine. Little frustrating I couldn’t make more birdies but I had to putt defensively in some cases. I wasn’t sharp with my wedges. Left some above the hole and longer than I wanted but overall 13 greens after an 0/7 and rounds of 3 and 4 last 2 times out I was thrilled. 

Man, I was in a slump for 6 weeks!!!  Just like you, I was shooing in the high 70's to low 80's and then all of a sudden, I couldn't break 90!!!

I finally got my swing back about two weeks ago and shot 81, 79, 82. 

I think I was over thinking my swing during my slump and it made it worse.  Like you, I went back to the basics to get my swing back. 

My worst enemy on the golf course lies 6 inches between my ears.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Always happy if I keep it under 85. The membership includes 3 courses but this course is the home course. Fastest, most severely sloped greens. Tightest drives with lateral hazards and OB waiting on many holes. A par 3 that’s only a wedge.... but uphill and over water. It’s not long but trying to overpower it can cause problems. I started off hitting the ball great off the tee and took some chances today. Was able to take advantage of my length with confidence in the driver. There are days where the driver stays in the bag more.... or I hit 2 or 3 OB. 

Ive been trying to just play it, and play it, and play it to prepare for the end of September. Other than outings I haven’t played competitive golf since high school when I graduated in ‘97. Think that had a big impact on my slump as I was really stressing myself out trying to get the score down. Today’s round was my best there at this course by 4 strokes. Confidence is key and the only way I’m getting it is repetition. So back out in the morning!

39 minutes ago, Yukari said:

My worst enemy on the golf course lies 6 inches between my ears.

Absolutely! I kept myself up at night after a round that I really only broke 90 In due to reporting standards with my handicap. That made it worse. It was just a simple thought for today that made all the difference. I know I got into a lot on this post not related to the topic but end of the day it’s really not overthinking and basics when you slump.

I am very new to the game, but also was in a slump a month ago.

I went back to my pro, and he said, lift your chin and even out your weight at address.

Bang, right back at normal for me.

Like has been said, it can be something very simple.

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

7 minutes ago, millsan1 said:

I am very new to the game, but also was in a slump a month ago.

I went back to my pro, and he said, lift your chin and even out your weight at address.

Bang, right back at normal for me.

Like has been said, it can be something very simple.

Right! I’ve been playing since I was 13. I’m now 39 on Monday. The game can bring experienced players to their knees. The important part is staying with it. It happens to everyone. At the pro level a slump is different than the slump for the average hack but still. I think what is important is understanding that nobody plays greet every time out. Slumps happen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Dunit507 said:

I had a streak before this cold streak where I couldn’t miss. Every shot solid. Then slowly The driver went. Then the irons went. Then I’m missing from 70 yards with a sand wedge. I’m just hoping that this good day is repeatable and tomorrow morning I find it just as easy.

I know exactly what you mean.I put together 3 months of solid ball striking,prolike chipping and putting but sure enough the ball striking slipped sum then putting went in the tank.WTH?

9 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

I know exactly what you mean.I put together 3 months of solid ball striking,prolike chipping and putting but sure enough the ball striking slipped sum then putting went in the tank.WTH?

It is crazy how the confidence builds up and the game comes so easy and then all the sudden it feels like you can’t hit a green from 20 yards. I couldn’t string together good shots for the life of me over the last week. Friday I nearly hit a par 5 in 2 then from just off the green I make a 6. Yesterday 7/7 in missed greens, chip and 2 putts for bogey before I gave up. It isn’t like I wasn’t giving myself a chance. On 1,4,5,7 I was holding a wedge or less and missed the green. Another classic from Friday was not hitting a green until the 6th and promptly 3 putting. Still kept it together and shot a 41 on the front. Make an up and down at 10. Bogey on 11. I’m up 2 on my buddy I’m playing with and promptly hammer a drive OB left to make an 8 on 12. He gives it right back on 13 by making an 8 of his own..... but that’s the par 5 I nearly hit in 2 and took the 6 on. 2 holes later I dump a ball in the water going for the green in 2 with a 3 wood..... and take a drop to promptly dump a sand wedge in the same water. I wasn’t done tho because I hit a pull hook OB on 16 too. Then from 50 yards out I miss the green on 17 to make bogey. I did hit the green and 3 putt 18 as well. Just your average 41/51 for a 92! I can’t tell you how good it feels to finally hang up a solid round today!

And I was back out this morning. 77. Inexcusable error at 2. Par 5 I’m driving the ball well enough I cut corner and flirted with the pond. My reward was 190 uphill in. Blocked a 5 iron and was pin high right in the rough. Everything slopes away and I ran my shot through the green into a trap. Made a damn 6!!!! 9 is a drivable par 4 and I hit my worst drive of the day into the tee box way left of the green and again everything slopes away. And again I ran my shot through and made bogey..... still I’m complaining about bad shots or bad holes instead of bad days. 10-15 I hit every green and 2 putted for par. Up and down at 16 for par. Bogey/bogey finish but still not angry with a 77 and more important 2 good days at the course overall!!!

Note: This thread is 2081 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!