IGNORED

Match Play Question

jsgolfer
Note: This thread is 2016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So wI played in a match play event the other day, the course gave us the cards, we tee off and play the match and win by 1.  2 days after the match they realize that the strokes were incorrect and the other team should’ve had an extra stroke.  So the course retroactively gave them the stroke, which ties the matxh and then they won the final event.  I always thought that if you play a match and play the match, the strokes are what they are and you can’t go back and change the outcome. But maybe I’m wrong. 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

It's their responsibility to make sure the handicaps are correct.

The match should have stood as played.

6-2. Handicap 

a. Match Play 

Before starting a match in a handicap competition, the players should determine from one another their respective handicaps. If a player begins a match having declared a handicap higher than that to which he is entitled and this affects the number of strokes given or received, he is disqualified; otherwise, the player must play off the declared handicap.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's their responsibility to make sure the handicaps are correct.

The match should have stood as played.

6-2. Handicap 

a. Match Play 

If a player begins a match having declared a handicap higher than that to which he is entitled and this affects the number of strokes given or received, he is disqualified; otherwise, the player must play off the declared handicap.

Just curious why they mention only the case of someone declaring  higher hcp in the above ruling. 

Same would apply if they declare a lower hcp (to their detriment), correct?

Vishal S.

• Administrator

@GolfLug

38 minutes ago, iacas said:

Before starting a match in a handicap competition, the players should determine from one another their respective handicaps. If a player begins a match having declared a handicap higher than that to which he is entitled and this affects the number of strokes given or received, he is disqualified; otherwise, the player must play off the declared handicap.

I bolded the section that covers playing off a lower declared handicap.

The rule covers all scenarios:

• handicap too high
  • handicap too low
  • handicap correct

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

40 minutes ago, iacas said:

@GolfLug

I bolded the section that covers playing off a lower declared handicap.

The rule covers all scenarios:

• handicap too high
  • handicap too low
  • handicap correct

You are correct. I did not read that all scenarios are covered. My mistake.

Vishal S.

And what makes it worse is that on the last hole we were up 1 and we made our putt for a bogey and they were off the green chipping for par and hit it 6-8 feet past the hole but since we were already in and the match was over we of course gave them their putt. Which of course we wouldn’t have given them if it was tied at that point.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I'd suggest that your match should have stood as played.

HANDICAP IN MATCH PLAY

Decision 6-2a/1 Failure to Determine Handicaps Prior to Start of Match

There is no penalty if players fail to determine one another's handicaps before starting a match. If this results in one of them not receiving a handicap stroke at a hole at which he is entitled to receive one, the hole stands as played.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Darn everyone beat me to it...I actually knew this one because I read this last night when reading through the 2019 rule book.

It would seem to me that if the match is concluded, the scores accepted and posted by the committee (or course), that's all she wrote! Re-reading the OP, he states that "they" realize the strokes are wrong, never delineating who "they" are.

I figure it has to be the opposing team, since the committee depends on the information supplied to them by the competitors. In that case the opposing team still loses. They failed to make sure of their handicaps before or after they tee off.

I know there are a lot of guys out there who play "loose" golf, myself included. I struggle to get my buddies to compare golf balls on the first tee! What are you playing? And mark them w/a Sharpie? You gotta be kidding! This has led to several instances of the wrong ball being played.

I played in a sponsored tournament this Summer and tried to talk a buddy into it. He's used to mugging the ball all over the place. Oddly enough, that's one place where I kind of tighten up on the rules. Unless it's sopping wet, and the ball is picking up big globs of mud, I play the ball down.

When I told him that would probably be the case, he shied away.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I struggle to get my buddies to compare golf balls on the first tee!

That's not a rule. I almost never do that. You only have to be able to identify your golf ball.

But… back to the topic.

Note: This thread is 2016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!