jsgolfer

Match Play Question

10 posts / 1474 viewsLast Reply

So wI played in a match play event the other day, the course gave us the cards, we tee off and play the match and win by 1.  2 days after the match they realize that the strokes were incorrect and the other team should’ve had an extra stroke.  So the course retroactively gave them the stroke, which ties the matxh and then they won the final event.  I always thought that if you play a match and play the match, the strokes are what they are and you can’t go back and change the outcome. But maybe I’m wrong. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

It's their responsibility to make sure the handicaps are correct.

The match should have stood as played.

6-2. Handicap 

a. Match Play 

Before starting a match in a handicap competition, the players should determine from one another their respective handicaps. If a player begins a match having declared a handicap higher than that to which he is entitled and this affects the number of strokes given or received, he is disqualified; otherwise, the player must play off the declared handicap.

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's their responsibility to make sure the handicaps are correct.

The match should have stood as played.

6-2. Handicap 

a. Match Play 

If a player begins a match having declared a handicap higher than that to which he is entitled and this affects the number of strokes given or received, he is disqualified; otherwise, the player must play off the declared handicap.

Just curious why they mention only the case of someone declaring  higher hcp in the above ruling. 

Same would apply if they declare a lower hcp (to their detriment), correct?

@GolfLug

38 minutes ago, iacas said:

Before starting a match in a handicap competition, the players should determine from one another their respective handicaps. If a player begins a match having declared a handicap higher than that to which he is entitled and this affects the number of strokes given or received, he is disqualified; otherwise, the player must play off the declared handicap.

I bolded the section that covers playing off a lower declared handicap.

The rule covers all scenarios:

• handicap too high
  • handicap too low
  • handicap correct

40 minutes ago, iacas said:

@GolfLug

I bolded the section that covers playing off a lower declared handicap.

The rule covers all scenarios:

• handicap too high
  • handicap too low
  • handicap correct

You are correct. I did not read that all scenarios are covered. My mistake.

And what makes it worse is that on the last hole we were up 1 and we made our putt for a bogey and they were off the green chipping for par and hit it 6-8 feet past the hole but since we were already in and the match was over we of course gave them their putt. Which of course we wouldn’t have given them if it was tied at that point.

I'd suggest that your match should have stood as played.

HANDICAP IN MATCH PLAY

Decision 6-2a/1 Failure to Determine Handicaps Prior to Start of Match

There is no penalty if players fail to determine one another's handicaps before starting a match. If this results in one of them not receiving a handicap stroke at a hole at which he is entitled to receive one, the hole stands as played.

Darn everyone beat me to it...I actually knew this one because I read this last night when reading through the 2019 rule book.

It would seem to me that if the match is concluded, the scores accepted and posted by the committee (or course), that's all she wrote! Re-reading the OP, he states that "they" realize the strokes are wrong, never delineating who "they" are.

I figure it has to be the opposing team, since the committee depends on the information supplied to them by the competitors. In that case the opposing team still loses. They failed to make sure of their handicaps before or after they tee off.

I know there are a lot of guys out there who play "loose" golf, myself included. I struggle to get my buddies to compare golf balls on the first tee! What are you playing? And mark them w/a Sharpie? You gotta be kidding! This has led to several instances of the wrong ball being played.

I played in a sponsored tournament this Summer and tried to talk a buddy into it. He's used to mugging the ball all over the place. Oddly enough, that's one place where I kind of tighten up on the rules. Unless it's sopping wet, and the ball is picking up big globs of mud, I play the ball down.

When I told him that would probably be the case, he shied away.

5 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I struggle to get my buddies to compare golf balls on the first tee!

That's not a rule. I almost never do that. You only have to be able to identify your golf ball.

But… back to the topic.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.