IGNORED

The 20-Hole Golf Course

Note: This thread is 1990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Let's say someone builds a 20-hole golf course. The other two holes would be set aside for

playing lessons;

a 'hit a bucket, play two holes' deal;

play a bit of golf (two holes) before or after work.

One would be, say, a 325-yard par 4 and the other a 150-yard par 3.

It could be a way to ease new golfers into the game, too.

Your thoughts?

• Administrator

Chautauqua Golf Club has three learning holes. They're "okay" - they're about 150-170 yards only.

I think the problem with having two holes like that are that you'd just get a lot of people not "playing" them but standing there hitting 10 or 15 shots to them.

And if that's the case… why not just build a short game area that's good and accepts shots from various distances, and let the driving range handle the longer shots?

Look at this short game "range" at Lake View CC in Erie county, PA:

(Click the satellite view. The short game area is by Station Road/Route 89 to the bottom left. You can hit 150+ yard shots there if you want.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Two holes does not seem like enough.  Also, I imagine most of the play would be singles and some twosomes.  Could be quite crowded and who wants to line up for their turn.

Brian Kuehn

My home course has a short game area, that's free to use for shots up to 170 yards. However, there is no green to use for shots over 5-10 yards. 

A two hole practice area sounds feasible. Three holes might be better if there's enough room. Maybe add a par 5. Make it free, with the stipulation that golfer can only use one ball as they walk the two (or three) holes. 

I'd probably walk it several times. lol

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• 3 weeks later...

My home course has a great, 3-hole, Par 3 practice course (inside the yellow circle) and a chipping green with a large bunker. The range, putting green, chipping green, and the Par-3 course are free for our members and have been great for teaching my daughter & nephews without being in mix on the 18-hole course.

Sometimes people do camp out and hit a dozen balls at one hole...but not if there are other people playing the course.

It's also great when you can only get in a couple of holes at the end of a work day.

waterview.jpg

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

There are at least two courses in the Southwest/West Chicago area that have two practice holes.  They’re set apart from the course and are for practice/warmup only, not play-through as part of a full round.  They each have guidelines saying to play one ball, but it’s commonly accepted to play a few shots as long as you’re not holding up anyone.  

I play each each multiple times a year, along with hitting the ranges and short game areas.  They get surprisingly little play, though I go exclusively during the week.   I love them.

Note: This thread is 1990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!