IGNORED

Have Callaway Rogue X irons gone too far?

Note: This thread is 1945 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I was in Golf Galaxy just looking around and I saw The Callaway Rogue X irons. The Golf Galaxy guy came up to me and asked if I needed anything. “Not really, just looking.”

Anyhoo, he told me most people were buying the set of Callaway Roque X in 6 through Gap wedge configuration. Why because they are so strong lofted. Sure enough the 7-iron was 27 degrees. He told me in traditional clubs that’s between a 4 and 5 iron loft???

As I was driving, I was thinking about that. So, does that mean the folks buying The Callaway Rogue X irons in 6 iron through gap wedge are really getting 4 iron though 9 iron?

My question, does it matter what number is on the iron? Should they sell irons that are just mentioning the loft? What are your thoughts?

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

There's a lot more to loft in determining launch angle of a ball.

Some of the strongest lofted SGI clubs launch higher than a comparatively much weaker lofted muscle back, for example.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

There's a lot more to loft in determining launch angle of a ball.

Some of the strongest lofted SGI clubs launch higher than a comparatively much weaker lofted muscle back, for example.

That's true. I thought of that while driving away. I almost feel like there's too many options today. Perhaps that's why my irons are over 10 years old. I feel like I "know" them.

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Why because they are so strong lofted. Sure enough the 7-iron was 27 degrees. He told me in traditional clubs that’s between a 4 and 5 iron loft???

GI and SGI clubs are designed with the CoG low and back away from the face which makes it easier to launch the ball. They have to lower the static loft to bring the flight back down for playability and control. Distance gains are a result of that. The Rogue X 7i is lofted like a traditional 5i and hits just as far, but it's also significantly easier to hit than a traditional 5i.

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

So, does that mean the folks buying The Callaway Rogue X irons in 6 iron through gap wedge are really getting 4 iron though 9 iron?

No, because GI and SGI irons are progressively designed. The shorter clubs are closer to "traditional" design than the longer ones.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

OK, first off, what is the difference between the Rogue and the Rogue X?  As a female, I had a golfing friend's Pro fit her with the Ladies Shaft and the men's Rogue X head.  I have been playing the Ping G-15's for several years and during the last half of this past season, I have had numerous problems hitting my irons.  I decided to try the Rogue Ladies Clubs and ordered a slightly used set from Ebay.  I hit them perfectly every time.  I am spot on with my distances being 9-90, 8-100, 7,10 etc...  With the Rogue clubs I was short from 5 to 10 years every time and could not figure out why.  It is my short irons that I am having the most problem with regarding hitting the sweet shot.

I looked at the lofts and my G-15 (assuming it was the loft for both men and women since I could not find two sets of numbers) was 32 degrees.  The loft for the Rogue Ladies was 31.25.  The club length on the G-15 was 36 and the length on the Rogue was 35.50 according to Ping.  Just moving up to a 6 instead of a 7 is not in my plans as I was so accurate on my distances when I hit them correctly.  Having talked to several of men golfers today while watching the Big Match, they informed me that I could have the shop adjust my loft on the Rogue to give me that additional distance I need to stay the same as my Pings.  I never had a mishit with the new Callaways, but cannot hit my sweet spot to save my sole on the Pings.  They have been measured 2 times in Phoenix at Ping and I finally asked them to set them to standard as frustration. If I ordered the Rogue X head with the Ladies shaft would that solve the problem?

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:00 AM, Hookedongolf2004 said:

OK, first off, what is the difference between the Rogue and the Rogue X?  

The Rogue X as a rule is longer, lighter, more offset, and more strongly lofted than the standard Roque irons. Callaway claims that more mass in the club head is moved lower as compared to the standard Roque as well. 

The numbers clearly don't tell the entire tale, even less so in these days.

Could it be an advantage hitting a 7 iron as long as you'd hit your current 5 iron? That a shorter club is easier to control. Longer shots will of course be less accurate by just being longer, but shorter shafts should make you better able to hit the ball and control face angle, no?

You do want to compose a set which gives you decent gaps, but if they can make a shorter club fly farther, it might be helpful.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Most traditional sets and "players" irons have a 5 iron around 27-28* since around the early 1990's. Back in the 70's a typical 5 iron was more like 30*.  My current 5 iron is 24*(same as my old 4 iron),  down to 43* in my PW.  So, in terms of pure loft, yes to your original question. However, as Erik mentioned, the design and tech has changed so that these low lofted irons still launch higher. My Titleist AP1s perform pretty much as advertised (if I make a good pass, lol) letting this 60 year old get back some distance with reasonable control.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 1945 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!