IGNORED

My Swing (Bo the Golfer)

Bo the Golfer

Have been doing a lot of set up and grip work after getting my feedback from  @iacas via Evolvr. The stronger grip and making sure I'm set up correctly feels different but that was the point. So excited as to where this can take me.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

6I FO

6I DL

Changing to a stronger grip felt very strange when hitting balls for the first time vs. dry practice. Patience and work is the order going forward. 

BO THE GOLFER

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

• Administrator

When you record next for Evolvr, get closer (especially down the line) and get the camera in the right place. And, you can edit it to keep the slow-mo going the whole swing.

That's also not really a stronger grip. You see only a knuckle and a half or so at setup. Just make sure it's in the fingers, though. Ideally a full 2 or 2.5 knuckles, though, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 hours ago, iacas said:

When you record next for Evolvr, get closer (especially down the line) and get the camera in the right place. And, you can edit it to keep the slow-mo going the whole swing.

That's also not really a stronger grip. You see only a knuckle and a half or so at setup. Just make sure it's in the fingers, though. Ideally a full 2 or 2.5 knuckles, though, too.

Thanks Erik. Will do. 

So with my latest Evolvr feedback and @iacas comments above they'll be some more concentrated work. Need to make sure I am gripping the club strong. I will also be woring on adding left side bend as I really stand up while going back and lose sight of the golf ball. I kind of figured thay would be brought up eventually. Really enjoy working to try and get better. 

BO THE GOLFER

• Administrator

Remember that "strong" is how many knuckles you see (and you don't have to see that many), not how tightly you're holding it.

I don't think that you're thinking differently there, but just in case.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

Remember that "strong" is how many knuckles you see (and you don't have to see that many), not how tightly you're holding it.

I don't think that you're thinking differently there, but just in case.

No, I get it's the amount of knuckles. So I don't get to in the weeds, would the side bend also help with a more centered swing? 

BO THE GOLFER

2 hours ago, Bo the Golfer said:

No, I get it's the amount of knuckles. So I don't get to in the weeds, would the side bend also help with a more centered swing? 

Theoretically these are separate. As in, you can be uncentered with side bend and centered with no side bend. But of course everything affects everything else in the golf swing!

One thing I'll note is that none of us are pro golfers, and many of us aren't young anymore. So all of our thinking about mechanics has to be adapted to what our bodies are capable of in terms of strength and flexibility. Not commenting on your swing, but just a heads up that it's totally possible you could look at your DTL position at, say, impact (P7) or after (P7-P8) and compare to your favorite pros and see you have less side bend. That may or may not be an indication that you need more side bend!

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator
5 hours ago, mdl said:

Theoretically these are separate. As in, you can be uncentered with side bend and centered with no side bend. But of course everything affects everything else in the golf swing!

He needs to side bend. He stays in forward flexion, so he doesn't side bend and he doesn't extend.

5 hours ago, mdl said:

One thing I'll note is that none of us are pro golfers, and many of us aren't young anymore. So all of our thinking about mechanics has to be adapted to what our bodies are capable of in terms of strength and flexibility.

Just about everyone can stand up straight-ish and bend left 10-15°.

5 hours ago, mdl said:

Not commenting on your swing, but just a heads up that it's totally possible you could look at your DTL position at, say, impact (P7) or after (P7-P8) and compare to your favorite pros and see you have less side bend. That may or may not be an indication that you need more side bend!

He's not really talking about impact, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, iacas said:

He needs to side bend. He stays in forward flexion, so he doesn't side bend and he doesn't extend.

Just about everyone can stand up straight-ish and bend left 10-15°.

He's not really talking about impact, though.

Yeah I was trying not to comment on whether he needs to side bend or not given he's getting active lessons. What I was responding to was it sounded like Bo was maybe going rogue and proposing his own hypotheses around what he needed to work on. I was just calling out something I've learned over the years. Like, don't look at Will Zalatoris's swing and think you should copy that as a middle aged or senior golfer :-D

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator
1 hour ago, mdl said:

Yeah I was trying not to comment on whether he needs to side bend or not given he's getting active lessons. What I was responding to was it sounded like Bo was maybe going rogue and proposing his own hypotheses around what he needed to work on. I was just calling out something I've learned over the years. Like, don't look at Will Zalatoris's swing and think you should copy that as a middle aged or senior golfer :-D

Right, but he's talking about left side bend during the backswing, because that's what I have asked him to do on Evolvr. 😄 

• Funny 1

https://youtube.com/shorts/YOxNrLvTWNk?si=IyHujjUZAOnZu4sc

https://youtube.com/shorts/IfV0R46a5FI?si=Czm1XJQNnma5QRSl

So things aren't looking much better. I realize it's a marathon and not a sprint. After filming these I worked on hip to hip swings and am feeling like those should be my regular swing. I did not get those filmed but will next week as that felt so much more connected. I'm sure when I see them on video they'll be longer than hip to hip but with my current swing I just can't seem to stop this arm break down. 

BO THE GOLFER

• Administrator

Can you see the ball clearly at the top?

It seems unlikely.

I concur. Love the idea of a shorter swing so I'll add that work. Thank you. 

BO THE GOLFER

Took my father in law to get his driver regripped today. While that was being done I hit a Ping G430 7 iron with Golf Pride CP2 wrap jumbo grips. I have smallish hands but these grips felt so comfortable. Something to think about. If anyone reading this have used jumbo grips let me know what you thought especially if you smallish hands. 

BO THE GOLFER

14 hours ago, Bo the Golfer said:

If anyone reading this have used jumbo grips let me know what you thought especially if you smallish hands. 

Yes. It made me 'handsy'. 

14 hours ago, Bo the Golfer said:

I have smallish hands but these grips felt so comfortable.

Purely a guess but it's because you are already super handsy. There's a good chance that what feels good to you now is probably not actually good for your swing. 

15 hours ago, Bo the Golfer said:

Something to think about.

Yeah, rabbit holes tend to be seductive for the curious and intuitive.

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

43 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Yeah, rabbit holes tend to be seductive for the curious and intuitive.

Nice quote, I’ll have to remember this.

• Funny 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Thank you for the reply @GolfLug. Some very good insight there. 

BO THE GOLFER

I use midsize grips but I have long fingers. If you can take a good photo of your lead hand grip, post it here or send it to Erik. We all work on our grip a lot.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave