Killa

Completing My Bag

15 posts / 791 viewsLast Reply

I’m currently playing 13 clubs in my bag. 

Driver - old Nike Sumo Squared 5900 

3hybrid - old Nike Sumo

4i-PW - 2014/2016 TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB

52° gap - cheap Dunlop wedge I got just for the spacing - works decently. 

56 and 60° Titleist Vokey wedges. Old but trusted 🙂

So I will be getting a new (used) driver and 3 wood set. Probably the Taylormade M2. 

But now I was thinking what to get for the gap between my 3 wood and 4 iron. 

An idea was to get a 3 iron from the same set but I’m having difficulty finding one that won’t cost me more than what I paid for the whole set. 

I could get a hybrid but I really like my 4 iron of the tee in tight fairways so my thought process was if I could get the 3 iron and get 15 more yards out of it that would be perfect. If I get a hybrid I will probably have 4 different shafts between my driver/3wood, hybrid, irons and wedges. That can’t be good. And I won’t be paying for new shafts for the whole bag...

maybe an option would be an m2 driver, 3 wood and hybrid or even a 5 wood? But I really like to hit irons off the tee. Much more confident than with the hybrid I currently have and I’m not hitting it much further anyway. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I used to carry a 3 wood and 5 wood.  When the driver made its way back into the bag I benched the 3 wood.  It turned out that I hardly ever used the thing...unless I butchered a drive on a par 5.  The 5 wood, on the other hand, is pretty handy.  I use it off the tee on the short, dog leg, par 4's...confident that I won't blow the corner if it, accidentally, goes straight.

You don’t ever use the 3 wood from the fairway? Because I’m usually over 250 out on par 5s. That’s where I’m hoping a good 3 wood will get me close in 2...

I'd say a majority of people have different shafts throughout their bags, so it's a non issue really. Another option might be to get a driving iron if you like hitting irons off the tee.

2 hours ago, Killa said:

You don’t ever use the 3 wood from the fairway? Because I’m usually over 250 out on par 5s. That’s where I’m hoping a good 3 wood will get me close in 2...

Once upon a time I did.  The two courses I play now are shorter and more crooked.  It's more corner to corner than bombs away.

12 hours ago, Killa said:

But I really like to hit irons off the tee. Much more confident than with the hybrid I currently have and I’m not hitting it much further anyway. 

What about a driving iron/2 iron/UDI? The TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 iron has great reviews. I have a P790 3 iron bent down to a 2 iron loft and I love it. 

I looked at UDIs on ebay and they are quite expensive. I mean it’s easily $150 with shipping for a single iron. If I could test it first hand maybe...

How about a Taylormade M1 3HL?  That's what I use...it's basically a 4 wood.  Pretty sure it's 16 or 16.5 degrees.  It's adjustable so I could play it at 15 or 18 which is 3 wood or 5 wood depending on either the course I was playing or what I wanted to use in general.

Best three wood I’ve ever hit is my Adams tight lies titanium 13.5*. Love the shallow face as opposed to the thick bulky fairways. You can hit the ball more off the top to get the high launch low spin for nuclear fairway shots. Or you can hit down on it more to produce more spin to hold the greens.  Good off the tee too, no need to tee it up high at all. 

56 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Best three wood I’ve ever hit is my Adams tight lies titanium 13.5*. Love the shallow face as opposed to the thick bulky fairways. You can hit the ball more off the top to get the high launch low spin for nuclear fairway shots. Or you can hit down on it more to produce more spin to hold the greens.  Good off the tee too, no need to tee it up high at all. 

The old Adams tight lies never went very far but they sure were easy to hit!

2 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

The old Adams tight lies never went very far but they sure were easy to hit!

100%. I still have that one somewhere. I was thrilled when they brought it back and it is like the old one but long. Wish Adams was still around. Great clubs. 

14 hours ago, Killa said:

I looked at UDIs on ebay and they are quite expensive. I mean it’s easily $150 with shipping for a single iron. If I could test it first hand maybe...

UDI's are nice but you really need clubhead speed for them to work.  I hit the Taylormade P790 early this year with the stock HZRDUS shaft in it and you really had to get after it off the tee and even more so off the fairway. 

I was initially interested in one but any let up on them and it was lousy for me.  

If the OP can handle it without any question, then it's a great club.

2 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

UDI's are nice but you really need clubhead speed for them to work.  I hit the Taylormade P790 early this year with the stock HZRDUS shaft in it and you really had to get after it off the tee and even more so off the fairway. 

I was initially interested in one but any let up on them and it was lousy for me.  

If the OP can handle it without any question, then it's a great club.

I don’t know if I can, I doubt it really 🙂 I mean I hope my swing changes over the winter will get my driver swing speed over 100mph maybe up to 105 from 97. 

I do know that I can rip my 4 iron of the tee and that it will be hard to get a matching 3 iron for the set. 

I actually was looking into a 3 iron p790 instead of the p790 udi...just to see if it was easier to hit and did what I was looking for it to do...good idea Killa.