IGNORED

Monthly Budget + Tips for Newbie Starting Out

Note: This thread is 1963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all,

I couldn't find a newbie section on this forum, but if there is one hope a mod can move it here...

I've decided to pick up golf in 2019 - i've held off for a few hours out of laziness but my parents are getting old and want me to play with them on family vacation, so figured I'd rather learn it sooner than later since they've become obsessed with the game. 

I am in my early 30s and while I have a decent amount of disposable income, I definitely dont want to spend too much yet. I hear splurging on golf lessons is recommended at the beginning since it's important to have some basics down, so figured I'll need to spend some there. I live in new york city so golf is not cheap, but trying to figure a monthly budget and the best way to get better fast. My goal is to be able to shoot <110 on a golf course within a year (not sure how realistic that is).

Initial budget (NYC prices):

- monthly golf lesson ~$150/month (how many should i have when first starting? 1x a month, 2x a month?) i assume i want private/semi-private lessons rather than group, since i hear those are very hit and miss

- monthly driving range membership - $135/month - the cheapest option in nyc is chelsea piers which has a off-peak driving range membership for ~$135 a month. it's not great but i figured i would need the unlimited option since i need a lot of hours

- golf clubs (n/a) - i'm going to borrow some from family/friends... dont need a new set and if i do i can buy them used

- golf gear (n/a) - i hear this isn't really necessary for beginners; just using sneakers and shirts. maybe ill get a glove if i really need it?

- other: $20/month - i paid for a rotaryswing course since it has lots of instruction. i know there are mixed reviews but i figured online instruction is cheaper than taking weekly classes

Am I missing anything else that's critical? any training tools that help accelerate practice (e.g. some orange whip thing i keep hearing about for tempo; will I need this?)

Thanks

57 minutes ago, lolercoaster said:

I've decided to pick up golf in 2019

Welcome to TST

You can also find an enormous amount of information pertaining to swing basics on this website.
Instructional information has been posted by the site owner and others.

I suggest searching for starters
1 Proper Grip
2 Stance
3 Club positions throughout the swing

Also, when first starting, practice with short clubs first.
Work on controlling putting - line and speed and distance
Work on chipping and pitching
Try a few bunkers shots - greenside

All of these are discussed in detail on the site.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Monthly Budget + Tips for Newbie Starting Out

Welcome to TST.   You've found the best place on the web to discuss golf.

Check out : TST Instructional content.   

The online lessons here from Evolvr are cheaper than your $150 / month budget and I'm sure better.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Best budget advice I know, is if there even an inkling you can't afford it, then you can't, and shouldn't buy it. 

When I was younger, I use to put a few bucks away every month for stuff I thought I needed. It was my golf account. Funny thing was, that once I had saved up enough for the purchase, I found I really didn't need it anyways. 

Golf Lessons: as many as you can afford, and stay with the lessons long term.

Driving range membership? Glad I don't live in NYC. If it's worth it to you, then go for it. Is there a free, short game practice area available?

Nothing wrong with borrowed clubs for now, even if they don't fit your swing. Question is, how will these borrowed clubs work with your monthly lessons?

Golf Gear. All you need is a bag, clubs, tees, balls, divot tool, and a rag to wipe things down with. (learn how to use the divot tool on the greens)

Regardless of the money spent, just enjoy the game for what it has to offer. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

20 hours ago, lolercoaster said:

Hello all,

I couldn't find a newbie section on this forum, but if there is one hope a mod can move it here...

I've decided to pick up golf in 2019 - i've held off for a few hours out of laziness but my parents are getting old and want me to play with them on family vacation, so figured I'd rather learn it sooner than later since they've become obsessed with the game. 

I am in my early 30s and while I have a decent amount of disposable income, I definitely dont want to spend too much yet. I hear splurging on golf lessons is recommended at the beginning since it's important to have some basics down, so figured I'll need to spend some there. I live in new york city so golf is not cheap, but trying to figure a monthly budget and the best way to get better fast. My goal is to be able to shoot <110 on a golf course within a year (not sure how realistic that is).

Initial budget (NYC prices):

- monthly golf lesson ~$150/month (how many should i have when first starting? 1x a month, 2x a month?) i assume i want private/semi-private lessons rather than group, since i hear those are very hit and miss

- monthly driving range membership - $135/month - the cheapest option in nyc is chelsea piers which has a off-peak driving range membership for ~$135 a month. it's not great but i figured i would need the unlimited option since i need a lot of hours

- golf clubs (n/a) - i'm going to borrow some from family/friends... dont need a new set and if i do i can buy them used

- golf gear (n/a) - i hear this isn't really necessary for beginners; just using sneakers and shirts. maybe ill get a glove if i really need it?

- other: $20/month - i paid for a rotaryswing course since it has lots of instruction. i know there are mixed reviews but i figured online instruction is cheaper than taking weekly classes

Am I missing anything else that's critical? any training tools that help accelerate practice (e.g. some orange whip thing i keep hearing about for tempo; will I need this?)

Thanks

You’re in an area that costs a lot to golf.

If you can get a decent net and mat, that could help you with the basic swing.

Once you have a means to swing and/or hit daily, and only a little bit each day, you’d need to focus on your swing and body positions. That’s the key to a good swing and game.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thanks, everyone. Yes, in NYC there's only 1 driving range and it's $30 for 94 balls (during peak hours, slightly less during non-peak). I'm reading these other threads where it costs like $3 for 30, sigh... so hence I figured I'd need an unlimited membership. Sadly I live in a cramped apartment in manhattan so its not like I have a massive space to practice.

Will try to borrow long-term clubs from family members as they have a bunch of old ones and book a few lessons to start. hope i dont go broke...

4 minutes ago, lolercoaster said:

Thanks, everyone. Yes, in NYC there's only 1 driving range and it's $30 for 94 balls (during peak hours, slightly less during non-peak). I'm reading these other threads where it costs like $3 for 30, sigh... so hence I figured I'd need an unlimited membership. Sadly I live in a cramped apartment in manhattan so its not like I have a massive space to practice.

Will try to borrow long-term clubs from family members as they have a bunch of old ones and book a few lessons to start. hope i dont go broke...

At most, hit 20 balls a day and do a lot of body position exercises with a mirror every day for around 5 minutes to 25 minutes.

Just hitting 94 balls or more a day won’t really help you score better.

You can use the 5SK videos as a guideline then take videos and/or in front of a mirror as you swing to get some idea what positions are close to what you need in a dynamic situation?

You don’t really need an actual club when you practice body positions.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It sounds like you have solid base to start off from.  Id suggest getting your own set of clubs, even if its a cheap set.  Playing clubs that you know what they will do and that you like playing are huge, IMO.  You could buy a decent set for less than $300 that would do everything you need.  You dont need name brand clubs.

I would also invest in some good polo shirts and some decent shorts or pants.  Some courses are kind of funny about wanting you to wear a collared shirt and not wearing jeans.  I dont live in NYC but I would imagine they frown upon jeans and t-shirts.

Beyond that, have fun.  Golf doesnt have to be an expensive hobby, most of us make it expensive, thinking we need the latest and greatest name brand gear.  I started out with cheap gear, went name brand for many years and now Im back to playing cheap gear (Pinemeadow, Top-Flite and Nitro balls) and I really notice little difference in my scores.

50 minutes ago, Lihu said:

At most, hit 20 balls a day and do a lot of body position exercises with a mirror every day for around 5 minutes to 25 minutes.

Just hitting 94 balls or more a day won’t really help you score better.

You can use the 5SK videos as a guideline then take videos and/or in front of a mirror as you swing to get some idea what positions are close to what you need in a dynamic situation?

You don’t really need an actual club when you practice body positions.

Thanks man you just saved me $50/month. makes sense to just pay per ball at the range at the beginning and work a lot more on body position / practicing in front of a mirror. doesnt seem like i should use a monthly unlimited membership so will put that savings into lessons.

Note: This thread is 1963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!