IGNORED

Lie Angle Question

Note: This thread is 1914 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

IMO, needs to be flatter, you're hitting the ground on the tow of the club. See a club fitter and have your lie adjusted.

Hitting ground toe-side means he needs the club to be bent more upright, not flatter.  Doesn't look too far on the toe-side so I'd say 1 degree bent further upright should be ok.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Club needs to be more upright, but this isn't really a great test. The line on the ball test is better, IMO, as well as seeing where the ball is going (start line control). That's ultimately what matters most with that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Could the OP just adjust his grip on the club to get a more favorable lie angle?

Or, could a bad grip in the first place cause this issue?

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

7 minutes ago, Patch said:

Could the OP just adjust his grip on the club to get a more favorable lie angle?

Or, could a bad grip in the first place cause this issue?

Lie angle fitting starts with physical measurements. Height and wrist to floor length. Most of the time, the outcome of those measurements are very close to what angle the swing produces. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

The club could be too short.  Moving the head farther away would flatten the effective lie.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:16 PM, phillyk said:

Hitting ground toe-side means he needs the club to be bent more upright, not flatter.  Doesn't look too far on the toe-side so I'd say 1 degree bent further upright should be ok.

I stand corrected, by flatter I meant more upright. Thanks for the correction.

On 1/22/2019 at 6:31 PM, BuckeyePete77 said:

I'm a short guy 5'8" on a good day and my clubs are Callaway X2 Hot  irons bought off the rack at Dick's Sporting Goods. They have never been altered. I also have short arms and the wrist to floor is 29 1/2 to 30 inches. 

Are you sure you measured wrist to floor and not fingertips to floor?  30in would indicate you have longer arms compared to height.  At 5'8" with the 30in wrist to floor, the PING fitting system would put you at 4 degrees flat.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Are you sure you measured wrist to floor and not fingertips to floor?  30in would indicate you have longer arms compared to height.  At 5'8" with the 30in wrist to floor, the PING fitting system would put you at 4 degrees flat.

There's a lot more to fitting than a static measurement fit. You know this @phillyk.

Static fits are great starting points, but are worth very little beyond that.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 1/22/2019 at 9:01 PM, Piz said:

The club could be too short.  Moving the head farther away would flatten the effective lie.

No. This is wrong. Lengthening the club increases the lie angle. It's about 1 degree for every 1/2 inch of length.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Adam C said:

No. This is wrong. Lengthening the club increases the lie angle. It's about 1 degree for every 1/2 inch of length.

Let's be clear: lengthening the club doesn't change the lie angle at all.

When you lengthen the club, the shaft angle when the club is soled is lower (or flatter), and the toe raises (often off the ground). So a lengthened club:

• plays as a club that's more upright than the shorter length club.
  • must be flattened to play the same as when it was shorter.

Everyone was probably saying the same kinds of things, but let's be picky about how we phrase things.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Let's be clear: lengthening the club doesn't change the lie angle at all.

When you lengthen the club, the shaft angle when the club is soled is lower (or flatter), and the toe raises (often off the ground). So a lengthened club:

• plays as a club that's more upright than the shorter length club.
  • must be flattened to play the same as when it was shorter.

Everyone was probably saying the same kinds of things, but let's be picky about how we phrase things.

Not sure how that is different from what I said but the point was length increases lie angle.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Adam C said:

Not sure how that is different from what I said but the point was length increases lie angle.

Length doesn’t literally do anything to the lie angle.

I am nitpicking semantics but they matter.

• Upvote 1

(edited)

@phillyk yes the measurement I gave was incorrect. Wrist to floor is 33 inches. I appreciate everyone's input. PGA Superstore said I should be in a Ping black dot but looking at their chart it states Red 1 degree flat. Like I said I bought these Callaway X2 Hot's right off the shelf at Dick's and I hadn't played in 30 years and shooting in the mid 80's with them and a low of 78. I tend to pull my shots to the left with my irons mostly my lower irons 8-PW. The 4,5 I seem to dig the turf with so that's why I posed the question. Thanks so much for all your help. 

Edited by BuckeyePete77
wrong input

Note: This thread is 1914 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!