Tommy_Boy14

Hitting the Ball a Groove Low

5 posts / 755 viewsLast Reply

I've been noticing lately that all of my shots have been coming out about a groove low.  For my irons its not such a big problem because they are still getting in the air I am just losing distance off them and when I am playing not taking divots or getting any amount of spin when coming into the greens.  My driver I have also been hitting low on the face but with that it is not getting up in the air at all.  I assume my issue (without seeing a video of my swing) is that I am jumping up and out of my swing and that is causing me to be hitting the ball low on the face.  I wouldn't say I'm "topping" the ball because when I look at the face of my club i can see the whole imprint of the ball on the club face but it is just at the very bottom of the face so I am close to topping it.  Does anyone have any good drills to help fix this issue and help me get down and through the ball?

Thanks!!

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

8 minutes ago, Tommy_Boy14 said:

I've been noticing lately that all of my shots have been coming out about a groove low.  For my irons its not such a big problem because they are still getting in the air I am just losing distance off them and when I am playing not taking divots or getting any amount of spin when coming into the greens.  My driver I have also been hitting low on the face but with that it is not getting up in the air at all.  I assume my issue (without seeing a video of my swing) is that I am jumping up and out of my swing and that is causing me to be hitting the ball low on the face.  I wouldn't say I'm "topping" the ball because when I look at the face of my club i can see the whole imprint of the ball on the club face but it is just at the very bottom of the face so I am close to topping it.  Does anyone have any good drills to help fix this issue and help me get down and through the ball?

Thanks!!

I suggest starting a swing thread in the Member Swings section.

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

You might be jumping up and out, you might not. You might be staying down and perfectly over the ball but pulling the handle up at the last second as an attempt to square the clubface which is making you contact the ball with the bottom portion of the clubface. Nearly impossible to tell without seeing video of your swing. 

I also find it impressive that at a 6 handicap you can tell the difference between 1 groove on the clubface.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A groove low should launch the ball slightly lower but actually generate more spin due to vertical gear effect. My guess is you're also delofting the face too much.

You're probably flipping just a little, and you've learned not to hit it fat.

I played one year when I was an amateur and went from a 3.1 to a 1.4 hitting just about every shot a groove or half a groove thin. Shot the most annoying, least pleasing 72s and 73s and 74s you could imagine.

To this day I can remember an 8 iron I hit to a par 3 that I caught a groove or two low. It went out on a line, but I could feel that it had to be spinning about 10K rpm! It hit about 3 feet in front of the cup, hit again about 2 foot past, then proceeded to dance all around the cup before coming to rest about 4" away! I seriously though I could get a hole in one! 

The ball cut a huge gouge in the green where it first hit, and I had to spend a lot of time fixing that mark!