IGNORED

Hitting the Ball a Groove Low

Note: This thread is 1904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been noticing lately that all of my shots have been coming out about a groove low.  For my irons its not such a big problem because they are still getting in the air I am just losing distance off them and when I am playing not taking divots or getting any amount of spin when coming into the greens.  My driver I have also been hitting low on the face but with that it is not getting up in the air at all.  I assume my issue (without seeing a video of my swing) is that I am jumping up and out of my swing and that is causing me to be hitting the ball low on the face.  I wouldn't say I'm "topping" the ball because when I look at the face of my club i can see the whole imprint of the ball on the club face but it is just at the very bottom of the face so I am close to topping it.  Does anyone have any good drills to help fix this issue and help me get down and through the ball?

Thanks!!

Thomas

Driver: :tmade: M3 10*  3 Wood: :nike: Vapor Fly 12*  Hybrid: :tmade: P790 UDI 2 Iron  Irons: :titleist: 716 AP2 (4-PW)  Wedges: :vokey:  52*, 56*, 60* Putter: :tmade: TP Juno  Shoes: :nike: Lunar Command,  :adidas: 360 Traxion, :adidas: Tour Boost 360  Bag: :titleist: 2016 Lightweight Stand Bag

8 minutes ago, Tommy_Boy14 said:

I've been noticing lately that all of my shots have been coming out about a groove low.  For my irons its not such a big problem because they are still getting in the air I am just losing distance off them and when I am playing not taking divots or getting any amount of spin when coming into the greens.  My driver I have also been hitting low on the face but with that it is not getting up in the air at all.  I assume my issue (without seeing a video of my swing) is that I am jumping up and out of my swing and that is causing me to be hitting the ball low on the face.  I wouldn't say I'm "topping" the ball because when I look at the face of my club i can see the whole imprint of the ball on the club face but it is just at the very bottom of the face so I am close to topping it.  Does anyone have any good drills to help fix this issue and help me get down and through the ball?

Thanks!!

I suggest starting a swing thread in the Member Swings section.

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

You might be jumping up and out, you might not. You might be staying down and perfectly over the ball but pulling the handle up at the last second as an attempt to square the clubface which is making you contact the ball with the bottom portion of the clubface. Nearly impossible to tell without seeing video of your swing. 

I also find it impressive that at a 6 handicap you can tell the difference between 1 groove on the clubface.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A groove low should launch the ball slightly lower but actually generate more spin due to vertical gear effect. My guess is you're also delofting the face too much.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• iacas changed the title to Hitting the Ball a Groove Low
  • Administrator

You're probably flipping just a little, and you've learned not to hit it fat.

I played one year when I was an amateur and went from a 3.1 to a 1.4 hitting just about every shot a groove or half a groove thin. Shot the most annoying, least pleasing 72s and 73s and 74s you could imagine.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

To this day I can remember an 8 iron I hit to a par 3 that I caught a groove or two low. It went out on a line, but I could feel that it had to be spinning about 10K rpm! It hit about 3 feet in front of the cup, hit again about 2 foot past, then proceeded to dance all around the cup before coming to rest about 4" away! I seriously though I could get a hole in one! 

The ball cut a huge gouge in the green where it first hit, and I had to spend a lot of time fixing that mark! 

Note: This thread is 1904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!