IGNORED

Golf League Handicap

DAK
Note: This thread is 1904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just looking for suggestions on handicapping our 9 hole golf league. What is the best system for keeping it fair and competitive? Currently we get 80% of our GHIN for the 9 holes. I’ve noticed the sandbaggers benefit and the better, honest players get screwed. I was wondering if the Callaway system would make it more fair? Please help. Sandbaggers are bad for golf. You know who you are!

• iacas changed the title to Golf League Handicap

What is the format for your league?
Match, Stroke, Team, Individual?

Are they playing for cash? Points?

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do you have records from previous years?  You could do a separate calculation for "league only" scores, perhaps use the lower of official USGA handicap and the league-only index.   You could also check to be sure that the league scores get posted to Ghin, and find a way to penalize those who choose not to post properly.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Club Rat: our format is 2 man team. Each has their adjusted GHIN and low team adjusted score is recorded for that hole. Win the hole=1 point. Team with highest points at end of season wins some cash. 

No real records from previous years. Too many teams come and go each year. 

(edited)

I do the handicapping for my 9 hole league and it seems fair enough. Out of their most previous 8 league only scores I will average their lowest 5 for handicap.

If starting out new. I take straight average weeks 1-4, week 5&6 would be Average of low 3 scores, week 7&8 average low 4 scores, then 9 and after low 5 of most previous 8.

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Use the 80% rule like you suggest, but keep track of scores in your league as well. Then once you have the data, use the lower of the two.  Any sandbaggers would only have an advantage for the short term.

Note: This thread is 1904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!