IGNORED

58 vs 60 Degree Wedge

CaseyD
Note: This thread is 1919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just looking for thoughts and opinions on one vs the other. Enough difference to worry about? Too similar to worry about? Things of that matter.   

• iacas changed the title to 58 vs 60 Degree Wedge

I have a 56* (bent to 55) and a 60* (bent to 59). I rarely uses the 60. If I have a short shot going over a hazard and I really need a high, soft flop shot I’ll use the 60*. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I actually execute the shot I love the 60 but I think I’d be more consistent with a 58. I just don’t know if there is truly enough to make a difference. I guess a 60 is pretty versatile, you can hit a high 10 yard flop and a nice low 200 yard approach 🤬🤬😧

My guess is that it would take a pretty good golfer, with an excellent impact position to tell the 2* degree difference. I know I probably couldn't. 

I also often wonder just how many golfers can actually take an iron's designated loft and put that actual loft on the ball consistently. 

Or, is it more common to hit a 60* degree wedge sometimes with a 58* degree swing, and other times with a 62* degree swing?

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

58 will be more forgiving than the 60. I doubt you will ever get into a situation where you are thinking, "Man, I wish I had 2 more degrees to pull this shot off".

• Thumbs Up 1

I read a Butch Harmon article when I first started playing where Butch said, "amateur golfers shouldn't use anything greater than a 58."  So when I bought a wedge I went 58 instead of 60. Can most of us tell the difference? Probably not, but I agree that you'll likely never wish you had two more degrees, especially if you get a 58 that you can open up.

BTW, my step-father had a 64.  Distance control on that club was way harder than a 58, so I do know that 6 degrees can make a difference.

After i broke my 60°, i played with my 56° for a month till i bougth a new 60°. It really don´t find much of a difference.
I guess i would be even less with a 58°

Note: This thread is 1919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!