Jump to content
cooke119

Driver Swing Speed Increase?

14 posts / 1027 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

First let me say that I am 67 years old and have had three back surgeries but the back feels fine. I'm dismayed because I was on a launch monitor yesterday hitting both the TM M3 and M4 drivers and my swing speed was coming in on average around 78 MPH with very little carry. I'm following all the lessons from the Swing Thoughts, "How to hit a driver" and use of the arms from here on TST. But still my swing speed sucks. Any thoughts on how to increase my speed without fading/slicing the ball, (my old habit)? I know this is a wide open topic and has probably been discussed before but I couldn't find any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

5 hours ago, cooke119 said:

First let me say that I am 67 years old and have had three back surgeries but the back feels fine. I'm dismayed because I was on a launch monitor yesterday hitting both the TM M3 and M4 drivers and my swing speed was coming in on average around 78 MPH with very little carry. I'm following all the lessons from the Swing Thoughts, "How to hit a driver" and use of the arms from here on TST. But still my swing speed sucks. Any thoughts on how to increase my speed without fading/slicing the ball, (my old habit)? I know this is a wide open topic and has probably been discussed before but I couldn't find any.

Without seeing your swing, it will be hard for anyone to help with any certainty. 

But Swing Speed could be increased a few of ways. First, better form. If you are casting or swinging OTT, it can have an effect. Second, flexibility. Having a more flexible body can help. Third, training. Core strength work and even swing speed training can really help too.

As we age, I’m 59 next month, we have to work at keeping our fitness level, flexibility and subsequently swing speed up. I take lessons to improve my form,    work on my core strength and flexibility and have just started swing speed training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you can, strengthen your legs more, to gain more balance. With more balance, you can gain more "controlled" swing speeds. You can only swing as fast as your leg balance will let you. 

I am getting close to aging into another decade myself. I find that my 80% swing today, is actually 70%-80%, of my original 80% I had just a few short decades ago.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 hours ago, cooke119 said:

First let me say that I am 67 years old and have had three back surgeries but the back feels fine. I'm dismayed because I was on a launch monitor yesterday hitting both the TM M3 and M4 drivers and my swing speed was coming in on average around 78 MPH with very little carry. I'm following all the lessons from the Swing Thoughts, "How to hit a driver" and use of the arms from here on TST. But still my swing speed sucks. Any thoughts on how to increase my speed without fading/slicing the ball, (my old habit)? I know this is a wide open topic and has probably been discussed before but I couldn't find any.

While core training, strengthening and flexibility are certainly important, I would first focus on your mechanics. Not only is this the fastest of the components to increasing your speed but it is imo the more important. Why? Because it won’t do you much good in the long run to simply swing OTT and casting...faster. Now of course you can do both strengthen and improve flexibility while working on mechanics depending on your time availability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 hours ago, cooke119 said:

Any thoughts on how to increase my speed without fading/slicing the ball, (my old habit)? I know this is a wide open topic and has probably been discussed before but I couldn't find any.

SuperSpeed Golf. It works.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 hours ago, cooke119 said:

First let me say that I am 67 years old and have had three back surgeries but the back feels fine. I'm dismayed because I was on a launch monitor yesterday hitting both the TM M3 and M4 drivers and my swing speed was coming in on average around 78 MPH with very little carry. I'm following all the lessons from the Swing Thoughts, "How to hit a driver" and use of the arms from here on TST. But still my swing speed sucks. Any thoughts on how to increase my speed without fading/slicing the ball, (my old habit)? I know this is a wide open topic and has probably been discussed before but I couldn't find any.

Lower carries are usually a sign that your launch might not be optimum.

Could you share your launch conditions? Or take note of them next time you go to the monitor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 hours ago, cooke119 said:

First let me say that I am 67 years old and have had three back surgeries but the back feels fine. I'm dismayed because I was on a launch monitor yesterday hitting both the TM M3 and M4 drivers and my swing speed was coming in on average around 78 MPH with very little carry. I'm following all the lessons from the Swing Thoughts, "How to hit a driver" and use of the arms from here on TST. But still my swing speed sucks. Any thoughts on how to increase my speed without fading/slicing the ball, (my old habit)? I know this is a wide open topic and has probably been discussed before but I couldn't find any.

https://superspeedgolf.com/collections/all-products?aff=40

Please also use the coupon code "iacas" when you check out, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All good advice, thank you. I'll checkout 'superspeedgolf.com'. I have to be careful with core strengthening given I can not lift weights because of my back issues, I'll need to join a gym and talk with a good trainer. I'll need a machine that strengthens the turning motion of my core I guess. For me exercises like sit ups or lifting weights are out. I can do bench presses and leg lifts as long at it doesn't put stress on my lower back, (L5S1). I'll talk to a trainer and see what he or she says.

I feel I am pretty flexible, my lower back feels OK when I swing. I do stretch out before each game or at the range, something I do not see a lot of people do. But I do notice that after 14 of 15 holes, even when riding a cart, my back tightens up. I take Aleve before each round which helps.

Just another thing to work on. Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cooke119 said:

All good advice, thank you. I'll checkout 'superspeedgolf.com'. I have to be careful with core strengthening given I can not lift weights because of my back issues, I'll need to join a gym and talk with a good trainer. I'll need a machine that strengthens the turning motion of my core I guess. For me exercises like sit ups or lifting weights are out. I can do bench presses and leg lifts as long at it doesn't put stress on my lower back, (L5S1). I'll talk to a trainer and see what he or she says.

I feel I am pretty flexible, my lower back feels OK when I swing. I do stretch out before each game or at the range, something I do not see a lot of people do. But I do notice that after 14 of 15 holes, even when riding a cart, my back tightens up. I take Aleve before each round which helps.

Just another thing to work on. Thanks again.

There are a lot of cores exercises you can do without weights. I've done the two below.

joey-d-golf-mobile.png

Golf fitness training isn't just about 'working out' for golf. We optimize your body with exercises and workout programs built for you.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/training/sklz_golf_strong_video_program_review

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 hours ago, boogielicious said:

There are a lot of cores exercises you can do without weights. I've done the two below.

joey-d-golf-mobile.png

Golf fitness training isn't just about 'working out' for golf. We optimize your body with exercises and workout programs built for you.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/training/sklz_golf_strong_video_program_review

 

Thanks for the info, I have reviewed both and they sounds like what I need. I emailed Joey D Golf, I'll see what they recommend. I'm in New York so I'll have to work from a book or DVD. They did talk about an on-line program, I'll explore that as well. 

How did you approach the program, did you buy all the equipment? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cooke119 said:

Thanks for the info, I have reviewed both and they sounds like what I need. I emailed Joey D Golf, I'll see what they recommend. I'm in New York so I'll have to work from a book or DVD. They did talk about an on-line program, I'll explore that as well. 

How did you approach the program, did you buy all the equipment? 

They are both good, book and DVD. Yes I bought the resistance bands, DVD but not the big ball. My gym had that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/19/2019 at 8:20 AM, cooke119 said:

I'll need a machine that strengthens the turning motion of my core I guess. For me exercises like sit ups or lifting weights are out. I can do bench presses and leg lifts as long at it doesn't put stress on my lower back, (L5S1). I'll talk to a trainer and see what he or she says.

My son’s high school golf team went to a sports motion place to develop the turning motion muscles. I think it’s basically turning with power bands. A sports trainer could help with what specifics to focus on?

His swing speed and the others in his team still have incredibly fast swing speeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with getting the body in shape and toning the muscles.  Pretty hard to get significantly stronger at our age though:(

To build up swing speed, I would also try stretching exercises on regular basis; not just before playing golf....

Stretching and flexibility can help keep your swing 'long'.

==================

I've read somewhere that delaying your release, actually making sure you don't hit from the top, can increase swing speed, or at least release the speed closer to impact zone, where it counts the most.

perhaps a refresher lesson from a pro can spot some places your swing could use a tip?

===================

assume your request for swing speed is like asking for more distance.  If so, maybe get fitted to a club, i.e. driver than has plenty of loft:  e.g. 12 deg; and a shaft that maximizes your swing energy.   

with that swing speed, you want to keep the ball in the air as long as possible.

=======

are you striking the ball in the sweet spot?  a slightly shorter shaft might increase your hits in the sweet spot, and we all know those go further than off center hits.  you just might get longer by hitting the sweet spot more consistently :)   

would bet those would be in the fairway, too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mywong23 said:

I agree with getting the body in shape and toning the muscles.  Pretty hard to get significantly stronger at our age though:(

To build up swing speed, I would also try stretching exercises on regular basis; not just before playing golf....

Stretching and flexibility can help keep your swing 'long'.

==================

I've read somewhere that delaying your release, actually making sure you don't hit from the top, can increase swing speed, or at least release the speed closer to impact zone, where it counts the most.

perhaps a refresher lesson from a pro can spot some places your swing could use a tip?

===================

assume your request for swing speed is like asking for more distance.  If so, maybe get fitted to a club, i.e. driver than has plenty of loft:  e.g. 12 deg; and a shaft that maximizes your swing energy.   

with that swing speed, you want to keep the ball in the air as long as possible.

=======

are you striking the ball in the sweet spot?  a slightly shorter shaft might increase your hits in the sweet spot, and we all know those go further than off center hits.  you just might get longer by hitting the sweet spot more consistently 🙂  

would bet those would be in the fairway, too!

Thanks for the response. I'm always looking for more distance but I don't think it is the driver, I have four of them including a Ping G, all go about the same distance which sucks because my swing speed is so slow as I found out. I purchased the book from JoeyD Golf as was recommended, I'll try that first and concentrate on the exercises . I'm also thinking of getting back into yoga to increase flexibility. I'll keep working at it. BTW, with my Cobra driver I hit the sweet spot often, actually get my best drives with that club, it is in the bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...