IGNORED

A Story From A 17 Year Old Passionate Golf Fan

JRoseFan
Note: This thread is 1843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello, I'm new here as you can tell and I've been hooked onto the PGA tour for years now. I have a home in the Orlando area in the US but I am currently living in China (sadly). The first tournament I remember going to was the 2013 Arnold Palmer Invitational on monday morning (it was rained out on sunday). Tiger was finishing his round up on the 16th where I remember Rickie Fowler hitting it in the water twice. I went on to go to the tournament in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. It was an amazing experience at Arnie's place and it's sad now that he's gone. The put up a large statue of him near the clubhouse for spectators to view and many houses in the neighborhood were putting up banners thanking him for all that he did to golf. The other few tournaments I went to include the 2016 Players Championship where I got Rickie Fowler's autograph on a hat I bought there (he was generous in signing to all the fans after the round). Back in I believe the 2016 event of the API, I remember watching the players driving off the practice range when Cameron Tringale walked up to me and gave me his hat. I was stunned, maybe it was because of my haircut lol. I got Adam Scott's autograph on the hat when he finished his round in the rainy conditions which was nice of him. At the 2016 Players Championship, I was following my favorite golfer, Justin Rose on Saturday during the 3rd round (as you can see in my username). Few people were following his group as many fans preferred the young guns such as Jordan Spieth, Rickie Fowler, and Jason day (who went on to win the tournament). Rose wasn't playing his best round of golf that day. I remember him pulling a shot in the woods on the par 5 16th and chipping out into the water, he went on to splash another one on the famous 17th hole. Walking off of the 17th to the 18th, he looked at me and bounced his ball on the cartpath toward me which I caught. I couldn't believe my eyes, I was so excited because this was my favorite golfer and he just gave me his ball! I went on to follow him through the front 9 as he started on the back 9, I saw him give another guy my age a golf ball then he gave me another one after finishing the 7th. As he was walking to the green on the par 3 8th hole, my dad asked him if he could sign my flag after the round to which he responded "We'll see." He ended up shooting a 78 in that 3rd round, but after he finished his final hole, he walked up to me, shook my hand, and signed my TPC flag. I couldn't have asked for more of a special moment than that, especially since he was just coming off of one of the worst rounds of his career. The next year at the 2017 Arnold Palmer Invitational as Rose was walking off the putting range to tee off in Round 3, I held out one of the golf balls he gave to me back at the Players Championship and he graciously signed it. To see these golfers who are so nice and gracious was a dream come true. I can say that Justin Rose, Adam Scott, Brandt Snedeker, Cameron Tringale, and Rickie Fowler are all humble and respectful golfers who give back to the fans. It's moments like these that will make me cherish golf and the PGA tour forever. I distinctly remember 2 moments I cried in my life. When Arnold Palmer died in 2016 when I was on a road trip to the Ryder Cup and when Justin Rose lost in a playoff at the 2017 Masters. I am hoping that Justin Rose can get it done with his new equipment at Augusta this year. Thanks for reading this story and please share some of yours where you guys met players on or off the course. Again, thanks.

Edited by JRoseFan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

120 views, no responses… because of the wall of text? Perhaps.

Tough to read without paragraphs, @JRoseFan.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At 49 it's just a strain on my eyes to read that wall. But hey, I got through it. I've been to the API the last 4 years. I really like that venue and I'll be going there next week as well (Friday) with my brother who's coming in from Houston. You've had some nice interactions with players. I had quick chat with Justin Rose two years ago it was I believe. He's a real cool guy and easy going. Such a great swing to watch in person. I appreciate your passion for golf as I'm a die hard fan as well. Best game on the planet imo. Anyway, take care and enjoy your life of golf. Cheers.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 2/20/2019 at 2:31 AM, JRoseFan said:

I have a home in the Orlando area in the US but I am currently living in China (sadly).

What is the golf like in Kunming, do you get to play much there?

On 2/20/2019 at 4:31 PM, JRoseFan said:

was a dream come true

Welcome to TST. Great to read about your passion. Enjoy! Yeah, paragraphs please - I agree.

Nave

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2019 at 10:44 PM, Carl3 said:

What is the golf like in Kunming, do you get to play much there?

I don't play golf, I just watch it. Don't ask why ha but I hear there are some good golf courses here designed by the golden bear himself.

Note: This thread is 1843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!