IGNORED

Finally Pulled the Trigger

Note: This thread is 1873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well I have been playing a Nike SQ (yea the original one) for years. It was a 10.5 degree with a regular flex shaft (on the monitor I’m routinely 101-104mph) and I finally decided to upgrade. I also bought my SQ off the shelf. Used.

I’m a 5 handicap and been hitting maybe 4 fairways a round so I thought this may be worth spending a few bucks on.

Went and got fitted today for a Ping G400. After a few adjustments I’m dialed in with a 9 degree, turned up a little bit, stiff flex. Getting 250+ of carry and the last handful I hit were virtually dead straight. With the SQ i could get 240-245 of carry but sprayed the ball all over the yard. 

Living in western PA the weather has been awful. Paid my membership off for the year last week. New driver. Had my Anser putter re shafted over the off season, cut down and inch shorter and de-lofted.... in other words I CANT WAIT FOR THE WEATHER TO BREAK so I can play. I’m literally dying to get out to the course. Sorry for the new topic and rant but just a bit excited to get the new year going on the course! 

Anyone else in my shoes with something new in the bag and no suitable weather?

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

58 minutes ago, Dunit507 said:

I’m literally dying to get out to the course. 

Are you sure you know the definition of the word "literally"?  Reminds me of a guy I used to work with who said he could "literally eat a thousand bags of almond M&M's".

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

5 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Are you sure you know the definition of the word "literally"?  Reminds me of a guy I used to work with who said he could "literally eat a thousand bags of almond M&M's".

Come on man.... You're literally being too hard....;-) 

adverb
adverb literally
  1. in a literal manner or sense; exactly.

• used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.

Back on topic.   I'm right there with you with the winter blues and golf anxiety.   I got new clubs for Christmas and although I have been hitting balls indoors, I'm literally dying to start playing outdoors.   I'm going to the Michigan golf show tomorrow and that will help/

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 minute ago, dennyjones said:

Back on topic.   I'm right there with you with the winter blues and golf anxiety.   I got new clubs for Christmas and although I have been hitting balls indoors, I'm literally dying to start playing outdoors.   I'm going to the Michigan golf show tomorrow and that will help/

I’ve been to the indoor place around here twice since 1st week of October. My last time out at the home course was the club championship last weekend in sept. Made a bird on my 5th hole to get to even and then the wheels fell off. The next time out I played a resort course that’s pretty challenging and hit the ball well enough to shoot high 70’s but I looked like I had never putted in my life. That’s when I shut it down for the year. Wasn’t even thinking about it till it came time to pay the membership and of course now that I got my bonus and treated myself to a new driver I am itching for that 1st good day to play. It’s one thing to see numbers on a monitor. It’s another to see a drive go down the middle.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

8 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

8 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Come on man.... You're literally being too hard....;-) 

adverb
adverb literally
  1. in a literal manner or sense; exactly.

• used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.

Mary Poppins.gif

Congrats @Dunit507

I just hope you didn't jinx the weather!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

10 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I'm with you as well. A while back my local course sent an email saying they are opening on March 1st. It literally snowed on March 1st. 

I've been hitting balls occasionally as well, but always off mats, either in a dome or even at the outdoor range when the weather hasn't been too brutal. 

In theory next week should be in the 50's. If it doesn't rain, I'm hoping to get out there and walk 18. 

Right now I'm figuratively dying to play and literally driving my wife crazy. 

I should have mentioned I too will have something new in the bag this year. I got fitted for a new driver and @iacas fitted me for a new putter. (The putter hasn't arrived yet, probably have a week or two longer to wait.) So, I'm figuratively dying to get that as well and literally really looking forward to it. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

11 hours ago, Dunit507 said:

Anyone else in my shoes with something new in the bag and no suitable weather?

Over a month ago now......  New Cleveland HBs Irons  with 3 Cleveland CBX Wedges.  New Mizuno ST180 Driver........  Only have 3 other clubs left in the bag.........

Record snowfall and low temps this year.....  If the temps rise too fast, there will be a lot of flooding and very muddy courses for awhile.  Not looking to be able to his the course until maybe April sometime..........

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Last year it was the new irons. Well new to me. Just like with the driver I tend to be a year or 2 behind the times with my equipment. I got the 2016 G irons last year. I had my Zing 2 since 1995. Well I couldn’t wait to get those out on the course as I knew there would be an adjustment period with distance changes in my irons. I’m hoping this is a smooth transition for me simply upgrading to a driver that is dialed in for me. Should I’m theory give me a boost by hitting more fairways. On my best day I may hit 6. I’m long enough that on the home course driver off the tee gives me a lot of chances to hit wedges and short irons in on par 4. Be a lot easier to come in from the short grass more often tho. 

Little off topic, I don't have a new club this year, but I live in New York so I haven't played in some time, I'm also waiting for the weather to break. What is new for me is that I got into Yoga over the winter and have really increased my flexibility. Waiting to see if that helps me play better. I have had three back surgeries and Yoga has really helped. I also use to get terrible legs cramps at night, they are gone as well. 

19 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

Little off topic, I don't have a new club this year, but I live in New York so I haven't played in some time, I'm also waiting for the weather to break. What is new for me is that I got into Yoga over the winter and have really increased my flexibility. Waiting to see if that helps me play better. I have had three back surgeries and Yoga has really helped. I also use to get terrible legs cramps at night, they are gone as well. 

That has me thinking about this year. I lift weights a lot. I’m the type to play 18 in the morning. Go lift and then an afternoon 9. (My membership has 3 diff courses so I am tempted to play more than one a day) but anyhow you doing yoga is going to have a positive effect on your swing due to better flexibility most likely. For me this year I’m going to back off the heavy lifting during golf season and try to conserve my body some. I broke down toward the end of last year. Couldn’t make it 18 holes due to over working. 

Yooooo that Nike SQ driver was nuts, sounded like hitting cue balls with an aluminum baseball bat

• Thumbs Up 1

Colin P.

On 3/8/2019 at 2:40 PM, colin007 said:

Yooooo that Nike SQ driver was nuts, sounded like hitting cue balls with an aluminum baseball bat

I loved my SQ! I considered just getting a stiff shaft put in and seeing what kind of luck I had with it but I realized it’s time to move on! I had my Zing 2 irons for over 20 years before I finally let them go. If a club or set of clubs is working for me I don’t like to change. Looking back at my stats over the last season tho and seeing myself only hitting 4-5 fairways on an average round I realized that driver is a weakness. Yea I hit it past everyone I play with but I know I can improve my game with the upgrade. Never had a driver fitted so I’m beyond excited to see what I can do with it. Even 2-3 more fairways a round will help. I’m also seriously going to spend time working on the putter this year. That’s the part of my game that has held me back over the last couple years. 

Went and played 9. Hit my 1st tee shot and got under it. Still carried as far as my old driver. By the time I hit the 8th from the temp tee it plays 270 Center. Carried it to the fringe. Hit 5/7 fairways and was longer than I ever imagined and being wet that was all carry! I am so excited to see what is in store for me this season. I was hitting bombs at times with my old driver. This is another level right now!

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!