IGNORED

Lessons?

Usmcgolfmkw
Note: This thread is 1860 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ive been looking into lessons for the last two days and Golftec is really expensive! The guy said 2300 or more I’m going to see or get more. I don’t know how much more I want to see with 2300 or more dollars leaving my pockets. That I won’t do, I’m a weekend golf warrior I’m not getting paid. Any tips on cheap lessons? Or is that pretty much what I’m looking at cost wise for lessons. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Usmcgolfmkw said:

Ive been looking into lessons for the last two days and Golftec is really expensive! The guy said 2300 or more I’m going to see or get more. I don’t know how much more I want to see with 2300 or more dollars leaving my pockets. That I won’t do, I’m a weekend golf warrior I’m not getting paid. Any tips on cheap lessons? Or is that pretty much what I’m looking at cost wise for lessons. 

Have you checked out evolvr.com? A number of people here use it to great effect.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, Usmcgolfmkw said:

Ive been looking into lessons for the last two days and Golftec is really expensive! The guy said 2300 or more I’m going to see or get more.

That's nuts.

My Pro charges $330 for a package of 6 half-hour private lessons.

Rob Tyska

Agree - 

2 minutes ago, RemyM said:

That's nuts.

My Pro charges $330 for a package of 6 half-hour private lessons.

Agree - I would expect to pay $50-75 for half hour lessons in either NJ or TN for most quality pros.  And based upon what you've told us I wouldn't be pressured into signing up for more than a 5-6 lesson package.

Lessons are not mandatory.  After all, a major winner like Bubba Watson is completely self taught.  However, it is very difficult to groove a good swing unless you are either very athletic, very naturally talented or willing to learn and make changes as you go.  I would advocate lessons for most golfers.  The important thing is picking a good coach.  I once took a set of lessons and the coach had a simple philosophy of this and only this is the correct swing.  He wanted me to make too many changes.  I would suggest a coach who will look at your swing and try to make small changes, one at a time.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator
Just now, pganapathy said:

Lessons are not mandatory.  After all, a major winner like Bubba Watson is completely self taught.

Eh. Not really. He’s had “coaches.” He’s just never called and scheduled an official “lesson.”

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Have you checked out evolvr.com? A number of people here use it to great effect.

As one of those, I can confirm for OP .  Started evolvr at 19-point-something IIRC.  Got as low as 12.2, creeping up due to my own being inattentive to practice.  Evolvr is excellent. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 hours ago, Usmcgolfmkw said:

Ive been looking into lessons for the last two days and Golftec is really expensive! The guy said 2300 or more 

No way! That is crazy! Did he say what the $2300 includes? I am pretty sure I paid no more than $800 for 15x30-min sessions with a swing analysis. When I put in my request for info online, a golftec rep called me back but he wasn’t specific to my location and gave me a random number. I ended up going in to the actual golftec location and got the rates in person. Perhaps you can try that? There was a $2000+ package but it was for 1 lesson/week for 10 months. 

Edited by FlyingAce

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Eh. Not really. He’s had “coaches.” He’s just never called and scheduled an official “lesson.”

Didn't know that.  Read that he was totally self-taught.  Thanks for the info

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

Didn't know that.  Read that he was totally self-taught.  Thanks for the info

He likes to foster that image. He had a college coach, I've seen him talking about the golf swing with people (many instructors) on the range at PGA Tour events, etc.

He's just never had a literal, formal lesson. Which he thinks makes him look cool?

But, yeah, he's certainly had less formal instruction than most. But the exception proves the rule?

15 hours ago, Usmcgolfmkw said:

I second Evolvr. I has been really good for me. You work at your own pace. You can send in not just full swings, but all short game swings and putting. They will put you on the right path to improvement and then it is just up to you to work to improve.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I've posted here in the past ranting about one of my closest friends that had the golf bug for 5+ years and wasn't improving. Some years he was playing 75+ rounds and couldn't break 100. The one summer he caved in and got lessons he improved by 10 strokes in like 2 months. For me personally, I wholeheartedly credit all my gains in golf towards my swing coach.

Note: This thread is 1860 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!