IGNORED

Of last years big name drivers that are now deeply discounted...

Note: This thread is 5766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Of last years big name drivers that are now deeply discounted...

• Adams Redline
    • Callaway Big Bertha 460
    • Callaway X460/Tour
    • Cleveland HiBore XL
    • Cobra Speed Series
    • Cobra HS9
    • Nike Sumo/Sumo Squared
    • Taylor Made R7
    • Other (please specify)

Which would/do you play? Deeply discounted meaning they are now under $200.

In My Bag:

Driver: R7 460
5w: Bah!
3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its gotta be the r7. With the moveable weights-i think that theyre soo far ahead of the game with technology in drivers that is why you see guys still holding on to the original r7 quad such as jj henry and tommy lehman.

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Im thinking of buying one as a gift for a friend (r7) because he loves my superquad but I wont let him touch it again (he grounded his third swing and my eyes began to tear). Luckily nothing happened but its enough for me to get him his own... R7 all the way...

Nike VR S Covert Tour Driver 2.0, 8.5* S
Nike VR S Covert Tour 3-Wood (15*) S
Nike VR Forged Split Cavity (2-5)

Nike VR Forged TW Blades (6-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM4 54* Wedge

Nike VR X3X Wedge 58*

Nike Method Core 1 Putter

Titleist ProV1

"Hakuna Matata - It means no worries..."

I bought my Cobra F-Speed when the L4V first came out at discount. The golf shop I go to - part of a chain - called around until they found one of their stores that had the exact specs I wanted, had it shipped to the local store, and then sold it to me at the sale price.
So, I would go with the Cobra *-Speed (whichever is appropriate for your swing), since I did.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They were selling the new cobra speed ld's for 120 at the pittsburgh golf show---i mean are you kidding me?

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

They were selling the new cobra speed ld's for 120 at the pittsburgh golf show---i mean are you kidding me?

You must be a Steelers fan.

I'm not sure how extensive your knowledge on golf shows is, but you have failed to realize that merchandise at golf shows is always very cheap. Why is this? A couple reasons: 1. The equipment is being sold directly through the manufacturer. This eliminates any middle-man so they can sell their equipment at wholesale price and still make money. $120 might be what your retailers like Golf Galaxy are paying. They make the same amount of money whether they sell it to Golf Galaxy or directly to the customer. The only ones missing out are the retailers and merchants. 2. Not only are they making money off the wholesale of equipment, but it is allowing them to get their name out there. If Joe Shmo buys a Cobra LD driver for $120 and loves it, he will tell his friends and hopefully they will go out and buy one. Theoretically, the trend should continue and lead to a lot more sales. It's a very simple form of marketing, really. That said, I dare you to find me one online or in-store retailer that will sell a brand new 2008 Speed LD driver for $120 and I will eat a box of Nike Platinums and put it on youtube.

In My Bag:

Driver: R7 460
5w: Bah!
3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

No surprise on the r7 winning. Quality club.

O yea i know --it is a club that can stand the test of time. A club with screws now--they really are incredible. I mean a these new clubs they make now are bombers clubs. With the r7 a 20 handicapper can use and it will help with theyre slice or natural hook. Theyre awesome

Its gotta be the r7. With the moveable weights-i think that theyre soo far ahead of the game with technology in drivers that is why you see guys still holding on to the original r7 quad such as jj henry and tommy lehman.

Having owned the original R7 I'm just not sold on the whole movable weight thing. Do you really move the weights around or did you, when you bought it, took it to the range, experimented, and left it set on draw.? I changed the weighting a couple of times but for the most part left it on what I originally set "draw". Now I simply own a draw biased driver. To me it's a little gimmicky. Don't get me wrong, it's a good driver but the changeable weights are the big selling point and that's not why it's good.

My son owns a Callaway BB 460 and for the money I think it might be the best driver out there ($ for $).

DoctorFRO--hey --yea i had to change the weights because when i first got my r7 425 everything flew left. I now have it on fade. But thats the beauty of the club--if youre hitting it somewhere you dont want to--you can change the weights to hit it where you want it-its kind of like cheating

Having owned the original R7 I'm just not sold on the whole movable weight thing. Do you really move the weights around or did you, when you bought it, took it to the range, experimented, and left it set on draw.? I changed the weighting a couple of times but for the most part left it on what I originally set "draw". Now I simply own a draw biased driver. To me it's a little gimmicky. Don't get me wrong, it's a good driver but the changeable weights are the big selling point and that's not why it's good.

For the most part, I completely agree with you. I had (backup now) the original r7 and other than some messing around when I first got it, I had it set to neutral. My r7 460 TP is set to neutral and I see no reason to change it. I did like the ability to add slightly heavier weights to my driver but that's about it.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

For the most part, I completely agree with you. I had (backup now) the original r7 and other than some messing around when I first got it, I had it set to neutral. My r7 460 TP is set to neutral and I see no reason to change it. I did like the ability to add slightly heavier weights to my driver but that's about it.

I Agree I think that the heavier weights make all the difference. Everyone that has a r7 knows that the 2 gram weighs just arent cutting it. They are too light to make a difference.

• Administrator
I Agree I think that the heavier weights make all the difference. Everyone that has a r7 knows that the 2 gram weighs just arent cutting it. They are too light to make a difference.

The point of the two gram weights is to maintain the same swing weight when you use a 14-gram weight.

8-8 10-6 12-4 14-2 They all add up to 16 for a reason.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hit a bunch of these drivers and just bought the Nike Sumo 460, just liked it a little better than the Hi-Bore XL
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I really never thought I would buy the Hibore XL, but the launch monitor just kept telling me to. I tried the Ping G10, Ping G5, Nike Sasq, Callaway FT-5 & FT-i and a few others, all with different shafts. Loft of 9.5 +/- 0.5

I average about 3,400 spin rate with most drivers, ping G10 with V2 shaft was the lowest of the bunch, until I hit the Hibore XL Tour. 2,900 RPM on average...that meant 20 more yards for me. I've swung a lot of drivers over the past 2 years and switched out a bunch of shafts...I have just never been that amazed as I was with the Hibore. The Fit-on red is definitely a contributer as well, the Fit-on gold took me back up over 3,000. I tried the Fit-on red in another driver and was still over 3,000.

Hibore XL if you have spin challenges.

In the Bag

Cobra Amp Cell Pro Black Tie 7M3 Stiff  |  LS Hybrid Kurokage Stiff  |
 Nickent 4DX KBS Hybrid Stiff 3,4  | Cobra S3 Pro 5-PW Project X 5.5  |
 Scratch 53*, 59*  |  Odyssey Backstryke  |  Srixon Z Star

Hi Bore is a sweet club---i like the XLS--the thing looks like it could do damage to a ball

Note: This thread is 5766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!