IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Tiger hands down best ever! just my opinion.

MB 710 Iron Set 5-PW Blades Steel Shafts,
Vokey Design Spin Milled Wedges 52,56,60
hybore 2iH, 3iH, 5W, Driver XL, Putter
Balls "Pro V1's", " Callaway Warbirds"
Career Low Round: 79

I think Tiger has done great things for the game in the public eye and has helped bring Nike bring better equipment to the Amateurs. In terms of play style i'm too young to know how Jack played :)
In my M9 Cart Bag:
Driver: MD Superstrong Ti460
Hybrid: Burner Superfast Rescue 3H/18*
Irons: Burner 09 4-SW (inc AW)
Putter: Spider Monza Balero

Jack. Even though the courses are longer now adays, Jack probably didn't use the protein shakes, platelet replacement or personal trainers that Tiger uses. (Lou Brock said last year 'if steroids were available in my day, I may have used them'.) Tiger also has some of the best equipment designed for his fit. He does have the natural skill, but he also has a lot of help that Jack never had.

why do you keep bringing up equipment?

Jack played on courses that were set up shorter than today and the greens were slower as well. The people he played against were using the same equipment as him.
Tiger plays on monster 7000+ yard courses, sure he has better equipment but he plays on longer courses with faster greens.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

why do you keep bringing up equipment?

Ding ding ding! The equipment argument is absolutely irrelevant. As long as your competition is playing the same equipment it's not an advantage. At this point I'll say that Tiger Woods has had the better career through age 35, but we still need to see what happens over the next 10-11 years. Personally, I

like Jack better, but that's also irrelevant, though i wouldn't be unhappy if Tiger finishes out at 17 major victories.

Tiger is a better athlete and has all the above mentioned advances.

Not so sure about that one. Nicklaus was an all-around athlete, playing football and basketball in high school and highly regarded in each sport. He also played a mean game of tennis. Is there any evidence of Tiger playing any other sport beside golf, and being good at it?

There is a bit of relevance to the equipment issue in Jack's favor. According to Frank Thomas, the MacGregor ball Jack played was noticeably inferior to other brands available in his day, and alone might have cost Jack a few majors. That wouldn't happen to a premier player today.

Tiger may win more majors than Jack when its all said and down but I think you have to factor in all of Jacks seconds in majors. Tiger has won a lot of majors but it has been win or not that close so far. Maybe that will change.

Driver G10 10.5*
3 Wood G10 15.5*
5 Wood G5
Hybrid G10 21*
Irons 4-P G10Wedges Tour W 54* & 58*Putter G2 CrazeBag Hoofer LiteBall ProV1X

The statistics with Jack finishing second, third, fourth, fifth and top 10 in majors are staggering.

But write off Woods at your peril. Looking back at his majors career it is amazing how he has went on runs circa 2000/2006 winning major after major. He just needs one more Tiger year to be on the very of accomplising his career destiny.

As for Woods being the greater athlete again it is relevant. As indicated it looks like Nicklaus might have been one of the most athletic of his generation too. I must admit I find the notion that either Nicklaus was better because his equipment was worse or Woods was better because he has the best of the best ill thought out.

bad equipment helps the better player. I remember reading quotes about how many people thought the run of dominant golfers was over in the Mid 90's because of equipment changes brought people into the fray that were never there before.

It's hard to say with all of the equipment advantages Tiger has, but I'll give the edge to Tiger. Jack was probably more consistent, and the jury's still out on how Tiger will end up after the fiasco in his personal life, but I think he'll eventually beat Jack's record. I'd certainly rather have a beer with Jack, though.

Here is an interesting read that compares the two by year in their career. Pretty much just breaks up their careers and compares the pieces rather than just their career as a whole. http://dontcostnothing.wordpress.com...xtensive-look/ . In my personal opinion, Nicklaus had a great career, and there's no question his legacy and records focus Woods and keep him motivated...along with the constant media comparisons... But as good as Nicklaus was, Tiger is simply better. In modern day golf with the difficult course set ups and the constant advances in technology it is hard for the most talented golfer to separate himself and pre-sex scandal Tiger did that and I fully believe he will continue to do that.

JACK !
He had no fitness instructor, no big money Nike backing, no advanced equipment like today, no computer generated swing tools, no 'special' Canadian doctors yet he's still won more majors.
and has more second place finishes as well.