IGNORED

Looking for a Ball Recommendation

Note: This thread is 5481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The rust is slowly but surely starting to come off of my golf game after not playing during the winter. I'm hoping to tee off at a course I haven't played before on Thursday, and I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to switch up my ball the next time I go out on the course.

My primary ball in the rounds I've played so far this year has been the Wilson Staff Zip; I love how that ball fits with my iron play. However, as temperatures are getting a little warmer and I start playing longer courses, I'm beginning to think that I'm sacrificing too much distance off the tee with the Zip to get that iron feel. Maybe it's time to make a change.

Basically, I'm looking for a three-piece ball that comes off the driver face a little firmer and maybe a little lower. (My typical driver speed is in the mid-to-high-90s, and can reach the 100s if I really muscle it.) I don't want it to be too hard off of my irons, though, nor do I want to lose a lot of backspin. I'm hoping to keep the price at under $30/dozen, and the ball had better not be the NXT Tour. I'm open to suggestions.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Topflite Gamer.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

How about the Bridgestone E6+. From what I've read about that ball (I haven't gamed it myself), it sounds like it might be what you're looking for.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

How about the Bridgestone E6+. From what I've read about that ball (I haven't gamed it myself), it sounds like it might be what you're looking for.

agreed 101%. i'm a huge bridgestone advocate. irons and balls... that sounded dirty

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

your good with any 3 piece ball with a soft cover i think it's called urithaine ?(sp) if your swinging in the 90's with little to no problem i don't see sacraficing any distance.

Like the others said, Topflite Gamer is the ball for you.

Can't beat it for the money.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

The rust is slowly but surely starting to come off of my golf game after not playing during the winter. I'm hoping to tee off at a course I haven't played before on Thursday, and I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to switch up my ball the next time I go out on the course.

Like some of the other guys > I would suggest the Bridgestone E6+, but, if you find that you loose too much touch with the E6+ around the greens (you certainly will, when compared to the Wilson Zip's you have in play at the moment) try the E5+. It's a little bit softer, but, still flies hot off the face/ Especially with you, relatively, slower swing speed.

My top suggesttion would be the Callaway HX Hot Bite. in short it's: Long off the tee and soft around the green. GOOD LUCK!
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

I too would recommend the e6+, if you are looking for a more penetrating ball flight the e7+ is designed for that so that might be an option. The e5+ is a two piece ball but the 6 and 7 are three piece.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

if you want a good balance between spin and distance I play the Titlest NXT extreme. It is a 2 piece balll that goes a little farther than the average ball and I am able to stop it at reasonable distances on the green when I hit a pitch or flop shot. Titlest as say if you ever shred one of them send it back to them and they will send you a free sleeve of them. hows that for customer service.

$25 per dozen good balance of spin and distance. they go far and the average golfer wont be able to make them roll back but the wont roll much after that hit either.

the gamer is an awsome ball as well and probably the best for the price but it wont go as far as the extreme and has more spin so its your call

Try reading the Hot List article in Golf Digest this month (also on golfdigest.com). I was surprised at the results. It will show you which balls get you the distance and spin for the money. It breaks them down by price so you can find the best ball for your budget.

In My University of Kentucky Bag:

R9 460
R9 T3
TP Rescue 17, 21 degree R7 TP 3-PW W/ Project X 6.0 Rac Z TP Wedges 50, 54, 58 Rife Two Bar Hybrid Mallet TP Black Pro V1

My top suggesttion would be the Callaway HX Hot Bite. in short it's: Long off the tee and soft around the green.

Hey guys...First post here. I was going to start a thread that is exactly this question, but its already here. I'm in the same boat. I want distance, and I want control around the green and I swing about 100. I've read up on the Golf Digest reviews and I've narrowed my next choices down to 3. The Top Flite Gamer ($20), Callaway HX Hot Bite ($30), and Nike One Vapor ($30).

I've had quite an aversion to the rock hard Flites of the past so now I'm trying hard to decide between the Hot Bite and the Vapor. They're clearly at the same price point and aim to fill the same niche. Sooooo...Has anybody played one or both of these balls? Your thoughts? Thanks much ahead of time, and I hope to learn much more than I post here. Cheers.

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

Hey guys...First post here. I was going to start a thread that is exactly this question, but its already here. I'm in the same boat. I want distance, and I want control around the green and I swing about 100. I've read up on the Golf Digest reviews and I've narrowed my next choices down to 3. The Top Flite Gamer ($20), Callaway HX Hot Bite ($30), and Nike One Vapor ($30).

To be honest, I was leaning toward the Hot Bite and Vapor before starting this thread. I think I'll buy a pack of one of them tomorrow before I head to the course and move from there.

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Before you try any of those, try the Srixon AD333 or the Trispeed. You won't be disappointed!

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

Before you try any of those, try the Srixon AD333 or the Trispeed. You won't be disappointed!

I tried the AD333 for a while, but I just didn't think I played very well with it.

I do NOT mean to offend anyone with this question:

can people with 20+ handicaps really tell the difference between balls? Wouldn't much of the perceived "hardness" of the balls come from mishits?

The only reason I ask is because I want to buy some new balls; but I am not sure if I'd even be able to tell the difference between hard/soft balls.

I do NOT mean to offend anyone with this question:

I have just recently come down (plummeted really, epiphany style) out of the 20s, and I could tell a difference. I acquired the ability to discern by hitting my pile of shag balls into the net in my yard. It wasnt a goal of mine, just an observation. That's not the big issue for me though. Holding the green on the approach shots and pitches is. I bought a box of the Callaway HX Hot Bites today. Good balls. Never pulled the string, but had some nasty looking ball marks where the ball sputtered the grass out from under it. My Cleveland CG12 56* also found them quite tasty as they look a little chewed on. I wish I knew how the Vapor would perform, but I'd rather spend my money on greens fees!

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

Note: This thread is 5481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!