IGNORED

60 degree wedge bounce...what do you play and why??

Note: This thread is 4994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you game a 60, what bounce do you play? Why?

I'm in the market for a 60. Gonna be my 14th club. I find myself having a couple of shots per round where I'm hitting 3rd shot on a par 5 or punched out of the woods on an errant drive to come up 50 yards or less out.....various reasons....

There are times when I simply open up the face of my 54 SW and it works out very well, however I would prefer to simply square it up and simplify shots from this distance. My home course has well bunkered greens and many are elevated....this makes it a little more dicey on the simple bump-n-run low shots into them. It's easier sometimes to fly it and stop it.

I recently used some Vokeys and liked that style of 60 very much....but I think I'll be going with PING version of the tour wedge due to the fact that I can order it with the same shaft/grip/lie/weight as my G5 irons&wedges.;

There are many bounce angle options as well as some low bounce options that PING designates as their TS model (thin sole).

What are the various advantages of higher bounce and lower bounce in the 60?

I already have high bounce SW that I will continue to use on all greenside bunker shots, so the 60 will be from grass lies only.

Also, I'm more of a digger than a picker or sweeper.

My goal with this stick is to reduce the number of 1/2 wedge shots in close...instead hoping for a more reliable 3/4 smoothies that get up and drop. Hope this all makes sense.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Well, my latest 60 degree wedge has 4 degrees of bounce. I did not intend on getting one this low but I grabbed the wrong one as I was swinging different clubs. With that being said, I now hit it just as good as any other club. I just pay more attention to what my lie is now. If the lie is tight then I will use it. I used to use it anywhere but with the low bounce, I have to decide when to use it versus my SW which has 14 degrees of bounce.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In the past I have gamed 58* and 60* wedges and used them with very little bounce. I think one of my 58's was 4* and one was 6*, which is also what at least my last 60* was. Lower bounce is great for tight lies or opening up the clubface for the flop shot, but can cause issues if you need to use it out of sand or thick rough as it becomes easy to slide the club right under the ball without even making contact. My last 58* had 10* of bounce which made it a little more versatile. I also am a bit of a digger so I wanted a little extra bounce to help with that, but not so much that I lost all versatility.

Your choice really comes down to exactly what you want the club for and what kind of lies you'll be using it out of. If your club has a lot of thin lies than I think low bounce is a good option; if thin lies is a rarity then go with 8-10* of bounce which should help it not dig, but still provide a little more versatility. That bounce level will still allow you to hit floppers (or the 'flopadopolis' as Scott Van Pelt calls it on the Titliest "Inside the Cup" commercials) because it will let the club slide under the ball when it's sitting up a little.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Cleveland DSG CG12 60 degree with 3 degree bounce because I don't like to bounce. My goal is to get down and behind the ball, but not too steep. With little bounce I can do this. I also play on firm courses.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I've got a low bounce 60 degree wedge, but to be honest I rarely use it. I can hit it just fine, but for high shots around the green I tend to reach for my SW. It has 55 degrees of loft and a lot of bounce, but I'm just more comfortable using it for those 3/4 and 1/2 shots. I'm a digger too, but it's more of a comfort level due to the fact that I use it so much and that it's part of my set range routine.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I played last week with my Dad. At 61 years old he's lost a little distance off the tee.....but not as much as one may think...He's loving his Burner driver and 3 wood.

He hits longer clubs into the greens and misses them more than he used to....but.....he dearly loves to pull out his 60 and flop 'em tight. It never ceases to amaze me watching him hit these shots. He's so consistent with this shot that he's really not even scrambling when he misses greens.

Anyway...he showed me a few things about the shot that have me encouraged....just got to get the weapon. I want to demo a couple and really set how they sit when squared and opened.

I doubt I use it more than 3 times per round.....but I would love to pull it off even half as good as he does.

Short game is such an equalizer.....I'm a solid three clubs longer than he is...but he can still beat me 7/10 rounds due to his short game. It's like a free lesson when we play...I learn something every time.
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

My 60 has 6 degrees of bounce, but I'm thinking about getting one with either 8 or 10 degrees. I'm an 18 handicap, and last year I switched from a Pelz style short game to the Utley style. My short game has improved tremendously, and I can hit my 56 with 11 degrees of bounce even off hardpan. In Utley's book, he talks about hitting off concrete with 12 degrees of bounce, just to prove that it won't hurt you as much as people think. I tried it, and he's right (at least for me).

--------------------------
"There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- Those who can count, and those who can't."

Depends on the courses you play largely. I recently got a Cleveland lob with 3 degrees. Good for the tight lies and firmer ground. If playing plush lies and such, maybe a 6-8 degrees of bounce would be better. For being creative around the greens, I like less bounce. And the "2-3 shots/round" you suggest. I doubt it. The lob wedge is a great club and the more you use it, the more applications you will find for it. Hitting out of the woods is way down that list of applications though. I get best results on good lies. With the lob wedge, it makes a big difference in my opinion.

My first 60* has 7* bounce which allows me to hit crazy flop shots, even when I wasn't trying to. I went with the 60*10 w/ the C-Grind and find it much more versatile. It took some getting used to, but now I no longer come up short of the greens.

RZR Hawk 9.5

Diablo Tour 3W

RZR X Hybrid 21
09 X-Forged 4-P
X-Forged 52/56/60
Byron Morgan 007

I have two, 60* lob wedges with 4* of bounce. They are perfect for greenside chipping, work well from greenside bunkers and are the go to club for anything inside 70 yards. Occasionally, I'll even putt with it rather than go back to the bag and retrieve the putter.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

They are perfect for greenside chipping, work well from greenside bunkers and are the go to club for anything inside 70 yards.

Same here man. I use my 60 all over the place. Admittingly, more than I should at times, but that is a great way to learn to use any club. Very versatile club the low wedge. Much more so than most folks realize if I had to guess.

I played last week with my Dad. At 61 years old he's lost a little distance off the tee.....but not as much as one may think...He's loving his Burner driver and 3 wood.

Cool post. Reminds me when my dad could still get out and play he would hit this 175 yard fade for a drive and rarely miss a fairway. After that hit this goofy 11 wood or some other "funny" club and then add the 28 putts he would roll in and before you knew it you were buying the beer! Enjoy the lessons, they are truly priceless. Anyway that's off topic.

I play a 60 with a 4* bounce. Simply put it plays like any other club.

I just cashed in my amex membership rewards points for a vokey spin milled w/ 7 bounce. I can't wait to get it. I already have a 54 degree vokey and love it.

Hibore Driver
Burner Steel 3 Wood
Rescue Mid Hybrid
mp 52s
54* and 60* Spin Milled Wedges Craz-e Putter Bag Cart Neo gps

I have a 60* with 12* of bounce. The original idea was to get it bent to 58*/10*, but I haven't been able to go to a proshop lately. I like the higher bounce because I really hit down with my wedges (and take a divot). I don't use my 60* for full shots, just from shots around the green sometimes. I like it out of the bunkers since it goes very high and just stops. And honestly, I can open it up and do almost as much as a lower bounce wedge.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

I've always played Cleveland Gunmetal wedges until I recntly switched to Vokey Oil Cans.

I use a 60* 4 bounce and could not be happier. I've always played low bounce on every 60* wedge because it's so versatile and on tournament courses I can play it from every lie.

In Utley's book, he talks about hitting off concrete with 12 degrees of bounce, just to prove that it won't hurt you as much as people think. I tried it, and he's right (at least for me).

Concrete? It may not hurt me, but what about the club?

I've got Utley's book, but haven't started reading yet. If hitting off something hard helps, I would suggest a bad range mat or piece of wood.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I have two, 60* lob wedges with 4* of bounce. They are perfect for greenside chipping, work well from greenside bunkers and are the go to club for anything inside 70 yards.

I do this occasionally, too. If you focus on maintaining your stance, the bladed wedge can putt really well.

Note: This thread is 4994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!