IGNORED

pulling irons?

Saint
Note: This thread is 5344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What causes it? Where the ball is in the stance, or what?

there are a lot of things that contribute a pulled shot.

- your lead shoulder is opening up and changing your swing path to the left. -don't over swing -when you transfer your weight to the right side, make it a stable shift and brace that left left so you don't open up - it could be your swing - it could be your setup i can't think of any else, don't want to give you a BS answer..... a little while back i was hitting everything solid then, i developed a pull w/ my irons even putter. i was just rushing things and going back to my old way of thinking (trying to murder the ball). just gotta trust the clubs loft and your swing . no extra muscle needed. hope that i could help...

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

the ball in your stance could be it but as stated before it can be a number of things. as far as ball placement is concerned; too far forward then the club can strike it late in the swing when the face will be already shut. too far back and it becomes easier to hit a smother hook to not chunk it. for most irons middle of stance is fine and just let the club do the work. i found when i loosened up my grip a bit it helped me control the club better.

Putter first 
:titleist: newport 2 oil can
:titleist: 58* SM4
:titleist: 54* SM4
:titleist: 50* SM4
:titleist: 4-pw AP2 project X 6.0
:ping: i20 9.5 TFC Stiff

Without knowing your setup or swing I will say this. Just make sure you dont have excessive tension in your grip, forearms, shoulders, thighs as you start the backswing. A relatively relaxed takeaway will insure that you complete the backswing and virtually eliminate the straight "pull" shot.

In a navy blue Vintage L8 stand bag
Big Bertha 454
Muirfield 20th 2 iron
Vip Tour CB-92 3-PW
by Macgregor Greg Norman Forged FW Special 55 BeCuTad Moore TM-2 Milled putter AD333/Trispeed

Well, I ask this, because my cousin is having the problem. I've tried and tried and tried to get him to move the ball in the back of his stance, but he wont. I mean, he plays his pw in the forward middle of stance. I tell him that if he would move it to the middle back, I think he would quit pulling it.

Well, I ask this, because my cousin is having the problem. I've tried and tried and tried to get him to move the ball in the back of his stance, but he wont. I mean, he plays his pw in the forward middle of stance. I tell him that if he would move it to the middle back, I think he would quit pulling it.

hm... i guess he likes to pull then, if he doesnt want to listen to your advice.

In my Warbird Hot Stand Bag:

Driver: R9 420cc 9.5° stiff
3 Wood: Burner 07 Fairway #3 Stiff
5 Wood: Burner 07 Fairway #5 Stiff3 Hybrid: Burner 08 Rescue #3 StiffIrons: MX-25 4-G Project X 5.5SW: CG12 STD bounce 56° Black PearlLW: CG12 STD bounce 60° Black PearlPutter: California...

Shouldn't be pulling everything just by having the ball slightly more forward. Depends how much we are talking of course, but it could be an outside to inside swing path.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I did this on a couple of rounds recently. Checked out my setup and turned out I had the face every so slightly closed at address due to incorrect foot alignment.
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*
- Launcher 18* Hybrid - 21* Hybrid - S2 Max 5i - SW - MP T-Series 47* - 60* LW - White Hot XG #1

I am doing this also, not all the time, sometimes off the tee/ground with an iron (never woods or driver) and other times dead straight, I am working on stopping this as it means I am always left of the green pin high, so always a bunker or some rough to chip over instead of a nice 2 put for par :)

I think with me it is a lack of body turn through the swing so my arms come around me as I strike the ball, will be working on hitting down the flight line on the range this week with a smoother more relaxed swing.

Failing that I will get my dad to take a look at me as he is an "Old Pro" :)

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

I am doing this also, not all the time, sometimes off the tee/ground with an iron (never woods or driver) and other times dead straight, I am working on stopping this as it means I am always left of the green pin high, so always a bunker or some rough to chip over instead of a nice 2 put for par :)

I think with me it is a lack of body turn through the swing so my arms come around me as I strike the ball, will be working on hitting down the flight line on the range this week with a smoother more relaxed swing.

Failing that I will get my dad to take a look at me as he is an "Old Pro" :)

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

When I'm pulling it's always because my grip has gradually become too strong without my noticing it. Right hand more neutral cures it 100% (for me).

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

What causes it? Where the ball is in the stance, or what?

Most likely an Outside to Inside swing. When your balls do go strait, you are leaving the club face slightly open. So when you get the club face square, you hit it left or pull it.

The clubhead is the factor that decide where the ball starts the most. You can hit shots that go straight left with a square swing and closed clubface. Essentially, his clubface is closed, or the ball would not go left. Could be a faulty grip, flipping the arms over, bowed wrist.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

The clubhead is the factor that decide where the ball starts the most.

That would be the swing path. Club face direction does influences the ball but it's greater when the Moment of Inertia slows down and spin takes over from the open or closed club face.

You can hit shots that go straight left with a square swing and closed clubface.

Yes and no, but it would have more of a hooking arch than a strait path.

Essentially, his clubface is closed, or the ball would not go left. Could be a faulty grip, flipping the arms over, bowed wrist.

An outside-in swing with a square club face (square to swing path) would go strait left. So essentially his club face does not have to be closed.

A video or more accurate description of his swing and what the ball is doing would help answer his question.

Square to the swing path yes, but the ball goes left of his target, so the clubface is closed relative to the target line. He said it does not look like he's got an outside to inside swingpath, so I was pointing out that it is possible.

I agree that an outside to inside swingpath is the most likely problem, but the OP isn't exactly helping a lot here. Throwing suggestions out there is like guessing which club to use on an approach, regardless of distance.

It's not a guess. It's factual to the information that was written. I know which club to hit and when to hit it.

There are a lot of factors here. Where he's standing to watch him? off to the side? What is the ball flight, which is the most critical. There is no mention of ball flight! Strait ball = square face to path. Draw or hook is closed, fade or slice is open. Is it consistent or with just certain clubs?

That was my point. We don't know enough to know the cause.

In my world, a pull is a ball going straight left as a result of pulling the club to the inside, pulling the clubface along. A pull hook is pulled left, but with even more closed clubface which cause it to spin further to the left. All we know is that the OP thinks he pulls his irons, but don't think he's outside to inside. It is possible to come square to the ball and tug the club to the inside on the downswing, which would make an inside to too inside swing path. With low speed and bad impact, you can swing it straight, but a closed clubface cause it to go relatively straight left. That's with a bad shot though, if you have good impact, the ball will curve to the left. Where it starts depends on the club and some other variables.

I still think he's coming outside to inside or pulling the club through the downswing.

Note: This thread is 5344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!