IGNORED

905R v. 909D2

Note: This thread is 5246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. 905R or 909D2?

• Titleist 905R
    • Titleist 909D2

I'm in the market for a "new" driver this Christmas. I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two drivers. I can get the 905R in near perfect condition for $125ish. And the 909D2 in near perfect condition for $210ish. I really like these two because they both launch the ball high, which is what I need. I was wondering if there is a huge difference between these two. And on whether or not I should drop the extra $100 on the 909. I'll probably be keeping this driver in the bag for a few years.

Edit: Also if I got the 909, I'd probably have to pitch in $50 or so. The 905R I wouldn't have to.

I'd go with the newer technology; I love my D2. I have never hit the 905 though.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

905R is one of the best Titleist ever made. Don't believe the "Newer technology" hype, it's just that, HYPE!!!

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

• Administrator
905R is one of the best Titleist ever made. Don't believe the "Newer technology" hype, it's just that, HYPE!!!

Who said you had to? Why not just believe the performance differences? Less spin.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know, let's put out a graph that shows our NEW drivers are out performed by our old ones that you can pick up for a fraction of the cost.

-Landon

Thanks for the post Iacas. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the 909D2 and DComp. I like how the Comp launches it a bit higher, as my usual ball flight is real low.

Specifically to Iacas (since I know he's hit all 3 drivers): Is the launch angle that much different in the DComp than in the D2?

And also, on 3Balls, the DComp is about $20 less than the D2. Why exactly is that?

Thanks in advance.

I know, let's put out a graph that shows our NEW drivers are out performed by our old ones that you can pick up for a fraction of the cost.

Happy to be corrected but it looks to me that the graph shows the new drivers are superior (all be it not by huge amounts.)

By superior I mean that they spin less and travel further.

Driver - RAM FX V
3 Wood - Callaway Steelhead Hybrid - Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21 degree
Irons - Titleist DCI 4-PW
Wedges - Cleveland CG10, 52, 56, 60 degree
Putter - Rife Antigua

• Administrator
well i think i would go with the 905 based on the graph just me though i like saving the money

Did you look at the graph properly? Very few people generate too little spin.

I'm almost certain YOU looked at the graph improperly.

Specifically to Iacas (since I know he's hit all 3 drivers): Is the launch angle that much different in the DComp than in the D2?

Yeah, noticeably higher. It still sounds good and looks really good.

Happy to be corrected but it looks to me that the graph shows the new drivers are superior (all be it not by huge amounts.)

No, not huge amounts. And they offer two or three models to fit various people, and for some, the older model may fit them better.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I believe OP's point was made in sarcasm - the company would not release a chart unless it touted the new products over the old ones, in order to promote sales.

I have long used the 905 and been happy with it. But it's been a few years; maybe I should look at the 909s.

I was being sarcastic. I'm saying the cost of their NEW drivers is not justified by performance difference. The 905R is probably the best they ever made in a 460cc head.

-Landon

I was being sarcastic. I'm saying the cost of their NEW drivers is not justified by performance difference. The 905R is probably the best they ever made in a 460cc head.

Oh ha. You were wrong and now you're trying to play it off as sarcasm. That or you don't know what sarcasm is.

Simple fact of the matter is that plenty of people are willing to pay a little bit of money (less if they can trade in their older club) for a little bit more performance. You don't get to justify what decisions other people make. I've worked with guys who'll trade out a shaft for 30-50 RPM less or more RPM. Better is better. Some people don't want something that's second-best, and it's not like the difference is some bizarre level like $10 for a 905R and $1000 for a 909.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Great price; add a $20 headcover and your are golden. I love my D2; hopefully it works out for you.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Take it from me: I have both. Every time I need to bomb one, the 905R goes about 20 yds further than the 909D2. Control-wise, they are just about the same. In my opinion, the 909 actually lauches the ball lower with the same shaft and loft. But that's just me. I'm keeping this one for a while...

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

Just pulled the strings on a 909D2! Got it in new condition for $230. No headcover unfortunately, but for the price I couldn't go wrong. Can't wait 'til December 25th!

Sweet stick.

I saw some brand new in the bag 909D headcovers for well under $20 on ebay this afternoon. This is one factory headcover that appears to be worth paying for....the magnetic enclosure works well.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Note: This thread is 5246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!