IGNORED

Furyk oversleeps

O.B. Right
Note: This thread is 4991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

With Tiger and Phil out on vacation, the new star of the PGA tour is harsh rulings. Hope it doesn't hurt him too badly in the overall playoffs. I am known to miss the occassional plane but, with so much riding on it, I'm suprised there was no backup plan (ie - wake up call, etc).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
A link typically comes in handy so people know what you're talking about.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours...-furyk-dq-0825

Not the first time a golfer has missed a pro-am and been DQed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I feel bad for Furyk..but this is kinda funny.. Perhaps he should stop partying like a demon and get his priorities strait!
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

This is ridiculous, I can see that why they punish players who don't play in the pro-am. But a DQ is way too harsh.

bad for the sport? really? are there going to be any less people playing or watching the game this weekend because jim furyk was DQed?

Colin P.

A link typically comes in handy so people know what you're talking about.

Agreed. I had no idea what he was talking about....thanks for the link

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

bad for the sport? really? are there going to be any less people playing or watching the game this weekend because jim furyk was DQed?

I think the larger problem is the people and corporations that paid money to meet and play with PGA stars in the pro-am, who didn't get to play with one. I imagine good will and therefore future revenue to the PGA tour could've been lost. As to how bad for the sport that is, I'm not sure.

Bill

This is incredibly ironic to me.

All throughout college my friends, particularly one of my roomates, and I played Tiger Woods for the PS2/PS3 to pregame before we went out. Everytime you take a shot in the game you take a shot of beer... simple as it gets, but remarkably fun when you love drinking and golf.

For four years of my roommate's life.. he was Jim Furyk. It was his weekend persona. Every single time we played. And as a result, Jim Furyk became synonymous with partying and drinking.

This same roommate got a job in Jersey after college and lives about 20 min. from Paramus.. where the Barclay's is this weekend. So of course we got Sunday tickets and he was finally going to get to see the Birdman in action. It would've been like meeting a twin brother, separated from you at birth.. and it was goin down this Sunday.

What happens? Jim goes out, tears up North Jersey, and sleeps through a pro-am tee time to get himself bounced from the tournament. Un-f'ing-real.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

• Administrator
This is ridiculous, I can see that why they punish players who don't play in the pro-am. But a DQ is way too harsh.

Because if you could skip them without much penalty, virtually everybody would.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I kind of understand the reasoning behind it but, sometimes it's too bad there is so little room for interpretation of the rules and intent, etc, is not considered. It's one thing to blow off the pro-am but another to show up 15 minutes late after obviously rushing to get there.

If asked whether Furyk should be DQ'd or allowed to join them 15 minutes late, looking disheveled, I bet his pro-am playing partners would've gladly given him a pass.

Because if you could skip them without much penalty, virtually everybody would.

i agree with you to a point but when its clear that he's overslept and missed it by 5 minutes its a bit harsh, still funny though

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

What the F is this world coming to? I am so sick of people coming on this and other threads and whining about harsh rules. I don't care what you respond with, its a clear sign that you're one of those people that feels there is an excuse for everything. What bothers me the most is I see this type of mentality everywhere these days. Zero accountability, if I whine and complain about a rule I just broke, someone will agree with me. Sorry for the rant, but my personal upbringing along with my military service taught me to know the rules, follow the rules, and STFU when I break the rules.

CARBITE Putter

What the F is this world coming to? I am so sick of people coming on this and other threads and whining about harsh rules. I don't care what you respond with, its a clear sign that you're one of those people that feels there is an excuse for everything. What bothers me the most is I see this type of mentality everywhere these days. Zero accountability, if I whine and complain about a rule I just broke, someone will agree with me. Sorry for the rant, but my personal upbringing along with my military service taught me to know the rules, follow the rules, and STFU when I break the rules.

I think you're confusing "rules". The rules of Golf are cut and dry and not open for interpretation (i.e. for anyone to suggest that Dustin Johnson should not have been penalized is asking people to ignore a fundamental rule).

To say that Furyk should be DQ'd because the PGA made a rule about not skipping Pro-Ams because pros were coming up with ridiculous excuses, when Furyk obviously rushed to be there and missed being on the tee by 5 minutes is asinine. These guys are pros - they know who butters their bread and if the PGA tells them they need to play the Pro-Am, they will and be there on time. But to DQ a guy who was in town, obviously had his phone fail him, is stupid. Would they have DQ's him if he was on his way to the course and got a flat tire? I see it as no different.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

At least Furyk is third in FedEx Cup points, and the DQ, while a setback, isn't going to place his season in any jeopardy. Now, say if someone like Davis Love III (96th in FedEx Cup points) ran late for his pro-am tee time and was DQed, thereby probably eliminating him from the rest of the playoff schedule, that would be devastating.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Where the hell was Fluff -- do PGA players not use their caddie for Pro-Ams (carts?)? If I were a caddie, I would never let this happen to my player......

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Wow, the dude's clock didn't work, not like he just said, "screw em, I'm not going to play." Silly is what it is. I would have thought it to be funnier to play with a beltless, sockless, unshaven, bad breath, generally unkept Furyk than just another pro am.

Where the hell was Fluff -- do PGA players not use their caddie for Pro-Ams (carts?)? If I were a caddie, I would never let this happen to my player......

"Caddie" is not synonomous for "babysitter."

Furyk's caddie I'm sure has a laundry list of jobs he needs to do before every match, none of which includes "waking up my boss, because he's so stupid that he relies on a hotel clock radio." I'm sure the caddie needs to buy food and drink, check the bag, clean and look over the clubs, stock the bag with food, drink, and balls, etc.

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

Note: This thread is 4991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!