IGNORED

My Swing (The Gill)

The Gill
Note: This thread is 4147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Hey, other people, step in and ask questions or make your own suggestions. I'm sure Perry would appreciate it.

Keep working at it. Consider your improvements already:

gill_a.jpg

gill_b.jpg

gill_c.jpg

gill_v_wi_a.jpg

gill_v_wi_b.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Amazing improvements on the swing plane in such a short period of time.

Getting the hips more forward.  Try feeling as though the hips move forward in the backswing (this is a feeling, they might not actually go forward), then bump/lean into the left leg to initiate the forward swing and extend as much as you can.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Good work. I'm curious if you've signed up for the evolvr online lessons, or have you just been using the advice from this thread? You've improved a lot, keep at it. I bet you can't wait for spring!

OK, that cigar trick worked for me pretty well...

Hands got a lot deeper, my big enemy in my swing.  Even if my club doesn't go on the inside, the hands rarely get deep enough.  A lot of it is lack of flexibility, but I've lost another 15 lbs, so it is getting easier.  Interested to see how it works for others.  By the way, who exactly wants to squeeze cigars?  Why not imagine having one of the Jersey Shore cast in a headlock?

Originally Posted by uttexas

Amazing improvements on the swing plane in such a short period of time.

Getting the hips more forward.  Try feeling as though the hips move forward in the backswing (this is a feeling, they might not actually go forward), then bump/lean into the left leg to initiate the forward swing and extend as much as you can.

Thank you for the video. Trust me, This is the feeling I'm going for. In those swings it feels like I'm pushing my hips out over a foot! Imagine my disappointment when I come home and see they're not! Thanks for the interest. This tip is my number one priority!

Originally Posted by walk18

Good work. I'm curious if you've signed up for the evolvr online lessons, or have you just been using the advice from this thread? You've improved a lot, keep at it. I bet you can't wait for spring!

My goal is to get the basic structure down then go for Evolvr to fine tune the pattern. Although, Erik has pointed some things out far beyond my basic comprehension of the pattern. I also want to learn for myself what is going on (it started with Foley's DVD, eclipsed by Andy and Mike's DVD, and now waiting on the book)... Even when I do go Evolvr, I hope to do so publicly on forum so I can finish what I started.

Originally Posted by Shanks A Million

OK, that cigar trick worked for me pretty well...

Hands got a lot deeper, my big enemy in my swing.  Even if my club doesn't go on the inside, the hands rarely get deep enough.  A lot of it is lack of flexibility, but I've lost another 15 lbs, so it is getting easier.  Interested to see how it works for others.  By the way, who exactly wants to squeeze cigars?  Why not imagine having one of the Jersey Shore cast in a headlock?

Even better than cigars are tees, I use these under my armpits. My goal is to make them hurt... Imagining Snookie within 50 miles from me might turn me gay, so I don't. I'd rather imagining bumping hips with Jessica Biel to my left (coincidentally both my wife's and my celebrity freebee )

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Originally Posted by The Gill

Even better than cigars are tees, I use these under my armpits. My goal is to make them hurt... Imagining Snookie within 50 miles from me might turn me gay, so I don't. I'd rather imagining bumping hips with Jessica Biel to my left (coincidentally both my wife's and my celebrity freebee )

Just to give another example of keeping the arms on the body, here is one of my favorite clips, Ken Venturi.  How's this for pressure points 4 &5?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 1 month later...

Here's a quick update. Let me know if you see anything that pops out at you. Still a lot of stuff I'm working on...

• Trying to get more flexibility in the neck
  • Need to keep the left knee out more
  • I'm starting to sway again.

personally i think your follow through is a little to upright. it looks like a colin montgomerie follow through. this could be restricting your hip turn. if you shallow out your follow through i think it might help.

for me i think its hard to properly turn you right wrist over enough to with a high follow through

see how your right knee continues to go out toward the ball into impact.  Try pushing off more with the right instep and straightening/extending/pushing off with the right leg into impact.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

• Administrator

Sorry this is all in one, I hope it makes sense. Busy day with the release of Analyzr but I wanted to say some nice things going on here...

gill.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Sorry this is all in one, I hope it makes sense. Busy day with the release of Analyzr but I wanted to say some nice things going on here...

Awesome Erik. I'll keep working at it. It's been really hard trying to get the shoulders to not turn past 90. Between that and the lag, that will be something to work on for the next two weeks!

Originally Posted by westcyderydin

Wow nice swing.  Very nice improvement in a pretty quick amount of time.  How are u hitting the ball now compared to before?

Thanks bud. It's actually pretty hard to judge on the course. Every time out it's a little different swing. The hardest part on the course it half wedge shots. I used to be very much an arm swinger and this is more of a body swing. Between that and the horrible Washington weather, it hasn't translated into lower scores, but I have no doubt it will.

The last two range sessions have been amazing; the swing is starting to feel natural . The driver is getting real consistent and my irons are getting extremely sharp. My ball flight is much more subtle and penetrating. I'm not going to worry about the short game issue until I grove the full swing.

Still working on restricting the shoulder turn and maintaining lag... It like I was taking half swings, which in turn made the timing feel really weird. Once I got it bummed me out that I'm still turning the the shoulders and loosing the lag. Do you think I'm accelerating too fast from the top of my swing? Maybe I'm getting a little too quick...

9i:

Driver:

^^^

Those two videos are great. I really struggle with my driver using S&T;, to the point that I leave it at home more often than not, and tee off with my 3 hybrid. For sure my driver videos look nothing like those, and considering we're both working on the same pattern, that's sad (for me!). I'll be keeping this thread bookmarked.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 10.5*
Hybrids: Nickent 4DX 3+, 4, 5
Irons: Ping G15 5 - PW
Wedges: Mizuno MP-R (52*, 56*, 60*)
Putter: Cleveland Classic 4 (34" and 35")

Keep moving forward so the rear leg doesn't over flex and sag.  When this happens it's very tough to maintain lag.  Also don't let the elbows separate on the backstroke or downstroke, right elbow is getting a little too far behind you.

The gill 1.jpg

the gill 2.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Good observation. I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder... Between my chest size and the shoulder, I can't keep it on the front of my rib cage. I'm also working on the foot. Is that Freddie with an iron or driver?

Note: This thread is 4147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!