IGNORED

My Swing (iacas)

iacas

I find I'm extremely flexible as a lefty.  Must be some scar tissue in there...

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• Administrator
Originally Posted by JetFan1983

That's awesome. I wish I was bored enough with my rightie swing to start working on leftie

Looks like fun though. And it probably gets you more "in touch" with some of the challenges your high handicap students face.

Oddly, James, Dave, and I have discovered that we tend to have almost the same flaws lefty as we've worked (or continue to work) on righty.

I mitigate some of mine by doing things like letting my head go forward quite a bit (to ensure clean contact), but if I don't try to do that I see the arms slow to get down, a longer swing than I want, slow wrist cocking (which leads to a longer backswing), etc. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks like the clubface is closed?

Originally Posted by iacas

I'm working on some new things...

5I:

That's roughly the eighth one of those swings I've made since May. Low crisply struck BULLETS!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Getting better... ;)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Any idea how the speed/distance is different from your right swing with the same club?  Looks really good.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
Originally Posted by mvmac

Any idea how the speed/distance is different from your right swing with the same club?  Looks really good.

Probably a 150-yard 7-iron. I'd like to try to break 100 lefty at some point this year if there's still time.

No Internet distance added. Dave says "I have speed!" lefty... but he swings like a dead monkey trapped in amber as a lefty, so who knows what he really means by that. ;)

Getting better... ;)

If I ever have to outright quit golf for some reason, this video will be on my retirement note. Holy crap that's solid.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Still working on shoulder retraction in transition. Getting better.

By this do you mean you're trying to keep the shoulder from sliding behind you at the top of the swing?

He's working on keeping a pitched elbow. And not letting it get behind his shirt seam. The green lines are good. The red lines are showing the right elbow moving beyond the shirt seam. The right scapula travels too far in the red.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by vanpooten

By this do you mean you're trying to keep the shoulder from sliding behind you at the top of the swing?

Yeah, I've got a good feel for it now, I've just gotta do it a little more. I've probably only hit 50 balls in the last three months.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

He's working on keeping a pitched elbow. And not letting it get behind his shirt seam. The green lines are good. The red lines are showing the right elbow moving beyond the shirt seam. The right scapula travels too far in the red.

Kinda. It's not really about the elbow for me. It's more to do with the fact that it steepens the shaft slightly instead of flattening it a little. When I make a better backswing my elbow position sorts itself out. The goal is more to do with the shaft than the elbow. More Key #4 work.

And the red lines aren't THAT bad. C'mon now... ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Still working on the same thing, but later on in the transition and have some good feels I like now.

Right elbow was creeping behind me but it was largely due to some late shoulder retraction and a few other things. Those are cleaned up pretty well, so I can address the next item in the sequence: cleaning up the slight unloading of PA3 in transition which steepens the shaft and forces my right elbow to stay back more.

This impact would look fine to a lot of people (and, well, I do play to 0 with it).

Some random one-armed swings to feel PP3 loading (weight of shaft) in transition and during downswing.

Here's what my new sensations and feels are. Basically: arms, torso, arms, torso (with the BOC hooked to a bungee cord on my belt):

Improvements (not a full speed swing, that'll take awhile... :D):

So basically:

• Feel the arms load to 2/2.5
  • Feel the torso turn to the top maintaining the width in PA1/4 (they load normally, but they don't over-load and my torso doesn't under-turn)
  • Feel the arms DROP (very similar to previous SLAM feeling) while feeling PP3 load more
  • From about A6.2, feel that the torso speed cranks up like crazy, with the BOC hooked to a belt loop on my left hip to shallow the descent and get the ascent and the necessary inward and speed.

Easy to do at slow speeds. Moderately difficult to do at medium speeds. Impossible to do at full speed right now.

I'll be Talent Coding this one (practicing at the edge of my ability) for a few weeks.

Torso turning part is difficult for me and I'm not quite ready to hit that piece. So I've been focusing on the droping of the arms piece.  Ensuring the right elbow gets slotted so I can then eventually get into the mode of torso turning rates.

I'm guessing your going to have some blocks based on my lesson with DD/Mike which hit on some similar points... Horizontal torso turn.

So basically:

Feel the arms load to 2/2.5

Feel the torso turn to the top maintaining the width in PA1/4 (they load normally, but they don't over-load and my torso doesn't under-turn)

Feel the arms DROP (very similar to previous SLAM feeling) while feeling PP3 load more

From about A6.2, feel that the torso speed cranks up like crazy, with the BOC hooked to a belt loop on my left hip to shallow the descent and get the ascent and the necessary inward and speed.

Easy to do at slow speeds. Moderately difficult to do at medium speeds. Impossible to do at full speed right now.

I'll be Talent Coding this one (practicing at the edge of my ability) for a few weeks.

You and I have completely different relationships with PA#3 from 3.5-5 I like how you broke down how the sequencing feels for you.  Good stuff getting the arms to load and then just having the torso "carry" the arms back.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I like this way of putting it, and will incorporate this thought into my practice going forward with evolvr. Keep it slow and be realistic about where I'm at with what I'm trying to do.

Constantine

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I'm guessing your going to have some blocks based on my lesson with DD/Mike which hit on some similar points... Horizontal torso turn.

I should be okay. The clubface will square itself up pretty well. My hands have several advanced degrees and the "torso" with the BOC-belt loop attachment helps too.

Originally Posted by mvmac

You and I have completely different relationships with PA#3 from 3.5-5   I like how you broke down how the sequencing feels for you.  Good stuff getting the arms to load and then just having the torso "carry" the arms back.

Yes we do. Arms, torso, arms, torso.

I think I'm going to use the traffic cone quite a bit over the next month or so. Position it well to the inside.

• Administrator

Two videos. The first shows how I'm practicing this and I think is illustrative of how some pieces should be practiced.

The second shows my swing currently. Down the line the shaft would be a little steeper than I like, still, but it's getting better.