IGNORED

How often do you change your bag?

Clubswinger21
Note: This thread is 6244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im always tinkering with clubs and changing shafts, the only club that has any longevity in my bag is my Rossa putter. All other clubs/shafts are subject to change in as little as 3 months time.. You?

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

My Driver is about 5 months old, other than that, my X14 irons are 6 years old, my Taylor Made Burner Bubble 3 wood is 10 years old and my putter is about 12 years old. I don't change equipment all that much, only when there's a need to really.
Equipment

Driver: Titleist 983E (Grafalloy Prolite 35)
3 Wood: Taylor Made Burner Bubble (Royal Precision steel rifle)
Irons: Callaway x14 (Royal Precision steel rifle) Putter: Ping Zing 5Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I got fitted for new sticks last year, but I'd had my previous irons for 6 years. I'll probably get a new driver this season. I don't ever mess around with my wedges though... I still have the sand wedge I bought with my first set of clubs. It's getting a bit worn, but I don't want to mess with it.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I'll stick with clubs for a lot of years. My current driver has been around for about 2 or 3 years, my putter has been in the bag for 15+ years, wedges have been in there a few years, irons have been in there for about 18 months but I have an identical backup set in the garage and I plan on using them until both sets are worn out.

If I start hitting a club poorly instead of replacing it I'll go and do some practice. If there a BIG advances in technology say with drivers or driver shafts I'll change something, otherwise I like to find what works for me and stick with it.

Im always tinkering with clubs and changing shafts, the only club that has any longevity in my bag is my Rossa putter. All other clubs/shafts are subject to change in as little as 3 months time.. You?

I am a big believer that you cannot be consistant if you are constantly changing clubs. I don't even get completely comfortable with a club until its been in the bag for a couple of months. I also don't believe in the ability to buy a golf game. And many people who I know who change sticks often are trying to do just that. There are no shortcuts in golf, there is no "magic" club that will finally drop someones handicap down to where they want it. The only way to become a good golfer is to get fitted with the proper equipment then go out and practice, practice, and practice some more, and learn how to hit what you have.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am a big believer that you cannot be consistant if you are constantly changing clubs. I don't even get completely comfortable with a club until its been in the bag for a couple of months. I also don't believe in the ability to buy a golf game. And many people who I know who change sticks often are trying to do just that. There are no shortcuts in golf, there is no "magic" club that will finally drop someones handicap down to where they want it. The only way to become a good golfer is to get fitted with the proper equipment then go out and practice, practice, and practice some more, and learn how to hit what you have.

maybe its true, I buy all my clubs via ebay, so alot of the time i dont even hit a club before i buy it. Call it crazy but id rather pay hundreds less. I find myself buying clubs i dont like the feel of, or dont like the ballflight they're producing, or they arent producing enough distance wise. That usually dignifies a change. I buy, sell buy on ebay.. and i do it well.. come to think of it maybe its an addiction.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

with the exception of my putter and the hybrid i'll be putting in the bag this weekend (adams or titleist?) and no, i won't be teeing it up for at least six weeks seeing we just got another foot of snow overnight, everything is close to, if not at least, 10 years old. i think about a new driver or forged irons, but i can't see any reason to switch. now with the new rules being proposed by the usga regarding grooves, i definitely will not be getting anything new until that issue has been resolved.

in the bag:
driver-titleist D2 10.5* w/aldila nv shaft
3-adams speedline fast 10 w/aldila shaft
hybrid-titleist 585 17* w/aldila shaft
irons-titleist 735cm w/ttdg s-300 shafts

wedges-cleveland 588, 53* and 60* w/ttdg shafts

putter-scotty circa 62 #1, gun metal finish

ball-pro v1

shoe-dryjoys

I change clubs when I find an alternative to something I have that I believe will allow me to improve my score. For example, I replaced my 4 iron with a hybrid two years ago and I will probably replace my 5 iron in a few weeks with a hybrid. If a driver head/shaft combo works better for me than what I currently have, I would probably buy that. I haven't exchanged my putter for a new one in about two years. My fairway woods are six years old. I did buy a new iron set last year, but my old set was five years old. Generally, I will change grips once a year. But all in all, if I find something that works, I keep it in the bag.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Before I change grips I do a couple things: 1) I go to the websites of Winn, GolfPride and Lampkin in order to study what they offer and to try to narrow what each offers in the type of grip I like, as well as the size I use ( I use an undersize grip and not all grips are made in all sizes ), 2) Then I go to an Edwin Watts ( or GolfSmith or Double Eagle, etc. ) and inspect the grips and also try to get some knowledgeable advice from the sales associates, and 3) After I narrow down my selection to one or two grips, I try to test them out on a club to determine which might work best for me. Sometimes, I will have just my woods regripped with a new grip and then, if I like them, I will have the rest of my clubs regripped to match. I really think an empiricle approach will result in the best choice. Good luck.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Before I change grips I do a couple things: 1) I go to the websites of Winn, GolfPride and Lampkin in order to study what they offer and to try to narrow what each offers in the type of grip I like, as well as the size I use ( I use an undersize grip and not all grips are made in all sizes ), 2) Then I go to an Edwin Watts ( or GolfSmith or Double Eagle, etc. ) and inspect the grips and also try to get some knowledgeable advice from the sales associates, and 3) After I narrow down my selection to one or two grips, I try to test them out on a club to determine which might work best for me. Sometimes, I will have just my woods regripped with a new grip and then, if I like them, I will have the rest of my clubs regripped to match. I really think an empiricle approach will result in the best choice. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice...I just got back from Golf Galaxy and looked at grips for about 30 minutes. I think I have some choices narrowed down.

I thought you really meant "change your bag". lol I've had as many golf bags as my wife has had purses! They are all Hogan bags except for one of my favorites, a Masters stand bag. I usually get a new bag every two years but I still play a set of Hogan Radial irons from the late 80's. I have a new Big Ben driver and a new putter from last year and I'm thinking about finally getting some new Hogan irons this year! I generally re-grip twice a year.
T-Bone Marshall
Home Course: www.waldenponds.com (74.1/134) 7001 yds
in my bag
Driver: Big Ben cs3 10.5 Stiff/Draw set up
Fairway: Hogan Edge 3,5 metal:Irons: Hogan Radial-Apex shaftWedge: Hogan "Tom Kite" 56* Radial "E" wedgePutter: Affinity vr7 "V-Rod" pro-v1x ball2 markers, Disney divot tool,...

I make a change when a couple of things happen:

1- I feel the change is a significant upgrade over what I am using.

2- The bank account allows for it.

The less money I spend on new gear, the more money I have to get out and play. So I only upgrade when necessary.
In The Bag

Sumo 13* w/aldila NVS stiff
BB 2004 3wood
Boxer 3,4&5 Hybrids A3 6-Pw CG11 52* & 56* 2 Ball Srt 33"Ball Nxt Extreme

I change my bag when one of the zippers breaks that hold important things..wallet..balls..beer!

Lately I have been buying drivers like I own a bloody bank. I will be switching again to either a Hi-Bore or a Sumo Sasquatch (regular shape). The reason I am doing this is the fitting session I had, and my old driver is offset and I have finally started to hook it, so I don't need the offset anymore. Just switched the irons after 4 years with some no name cavity backs. I really like my Odyssey two ball that I have had for 3 years now, but I always have a few back ups in case in misbehaves. I have run out of money, so my $29 aliens wedges with have to do this year.

What's in my bag:
Driver : R7, 10.5 degree, stock stiff shaft
16 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler DWS, with stiff stock shaft
20 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler, with Accra Shaft, Stiff
26 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler, with Accra Shaft, Stiff6 - PW - Bridgestone CG Mid, Dynamic Gold LiteWedges : TBA...

I don't have enough money to be buying new equipment every few months, so most stuff lasts a few years.

I will replace something major every year so most clubs are no more than 3-4 years old, unless I really like them.

I am on my 4th driver in 3 years. I had a Nike for 2 1/2 years before getting a 983K. I played that in 2005 and traded it in for the exact same club with the NV shaft. With the trade in it only cost me about $40 bucks. It would have been more than double to have it re-shafted. I just got a 905R off Ebay Thursday.

I replaced my 3 wood last year. Upgraded from the previous Titleist model that I got a year prior.

Irons are getting replaced in the next few weeks. I have had them since 2000.

Cleveland Wedge replaced a freebie that I won in an outing in 2005. The first one accidentally wrapped itself arround the stand on my bag. I got the Cleveland out of a used club bin last Summer for $60. It didn't seem worth reshafting a cheap wedge. The Vokey went into service in 2005. Replaced a no name brand that I had for about 5 years.

The Scotty also went in the bag in 2005. It replaced a Ping Pal that I had for 10+ years.

Oh yeah...I changed bags in October. see the comment about the wedge/stand collision. I played much of 2006 with one bent leg. I had to but the old one down. I waited until the end of the year though when they all wne on clearance.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Note: This thread is 6244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!