IGNORED

How often do you encounter people who smoke a joint during a round?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

MEAT????  Are you crazy?  Do you know what the stuff will do to your body?

Originally Posted by Putridgasbag

I don't smoke around those who don't.

I read in another post that you are a land surveyor. If the Land Surveyors I know were to stop smoking there would be a noticeable drop in the demand! I suppose rules are a little more liberal up north or the 49th. I guess it is all where you are. Around these parts it isn't treated much differently than having a beer. You wouldn't just open and drink a beer just anywhere but in an appropriate and time, No different that pot.

Bottom line with me is it my choice what I put in my body whether it be alcohol, Tobacco or even meat.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pot doesnt cause violent behavior?

Some posts in this thread and this say otherwise..........

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

This thread reminds me of a talk radio show in south Florida called The Love Doctors (I'm sure TourSpoon knows of them). They're just a couple of guys with no real agenda - they just open the phone lines up & take whatever comes up.

But Doc Rich has one rule for the callers - 'We are not going to talk about legalizing marijuana.'

Not that's he's for or against it. It's because it just becomes such a tedious discussion.

Much like this thread.

Originally Posted by meenman

Pot doesnt cause violent behavior?

Some posts in this thread and this say otherwise..........

One rare occasion and pot is labelled as a violent drug? after reading that article I would say that it doesn't matter if that guy smoked pot before the incident or not he had some serious mental issues regardless of what he intook into his body.

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

Originally Posted by MrSandman

alcohol is definitely worse than marijuana.  Not even close.

You never read of potheads getting all stoned and getting into bar fights or vandalizing the neighborhood or even aggressive driving.

marijuana makes people lazy

alcohol makes some people violent, some people aggressive, and causes a greater clouding of judgment than marijuana.

Unfortunately, the "Miami Zombie" had only marijuana in his system - no alcohol, LSD, cocaine, PCP, or "bath salts" as previously assumed.

You're right - there's nothing wrong with being too lazy to hit up 7-Eleven for a bag of funions, when you can just get naked and assault a homeless dude, strip him naked and munch on 60% of his hobo face.

Totally in favor of ganja.

Also, comparing drugs and controlled substances is absolutely retarded. Stop arguing over which is worse, or which is better. In moderation, none of it is bad. Unfortunately, too many people in this world lack common sense and don't understand moderation or think that they are above it.

When your debate drifts off into the "alcohol vs marijuana" debate, I just picture someone that looks/talks like someone from an episode of Swamp People on Discovery Channel. You may as well be arguing over which color underwear Rosie O'Donnell is wearing today. Does it matter? In the end, no one is a winner!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/06/30/golfer-admits-smoking-pot-on-golf-course-during-tournaments/

Golfer Robert Garrigus -- who finished in a tie for third at this month's U.S. Open -- admitted he used to smoke marijuana mid-round on the Nationwide Tour in the early 2000s, and he was not the only one,

Some of the replies in this thread are so comical. I can only assume they were raised during the era of Reefer Madness.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

Some of the replies in this thread are so comical. I can only assume they were raised during the era of Reefer Madness.

What era was that? Pot use is more prevalent today than it was even in the 70's. Its not an uncommon thing. Its estimated 10 million canucks smoke regularly, or 1/3rd of our population.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by ApocG10

What era was that? Pot use is more prevalent today than it was even in the 70's. Its not an uncommon thing. Its estimated 10 million canucks smoke regularly, or 1/3rd of our population.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028346/

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Seen it once on the course when I was much younger.  Two friends and I were playing and eventually had a single catch up to us.  We offered for him to join us and he did.  A few holes later he brought out some weed.  I didn't touch it, but my friends did.  All of us were having a few beers as well already.

A couple of holes later one of my friends hits his drive down the middle, then proceeds to hit a low shot that took three bounces and went into the cup on a Par 4.

In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Me and a buddy ran into a guy who had a huge sack of some expensive stuff.  He asked us and we declined.  He continued to puff, getting higher and higher with each hole.  We didn't mind as we were enjoying the round and he stayed away from us when he hit.  No blood no foul.

Well by the 18th, he is stoned out of his mind and duffs a drive.  By this point he is swinging slow motion.  He walks up the 20 yards to get to his ball, and says "watch this I'm taking it off the deck."

He takes a swing at the ball with his custom driver that he'd been bragging about, and slams the ground, sending the expensive driver head into the woods to our right.  He got into his cart without a word and didn't finish the hole.

I guess the moral of the story is if you're going to play on the grass, you gotta know how thick you're getting...

Originally Posted by Domenic

Marijuana? Ima come clean, I've never come close to any illegal drug. Doesn't it make you hallucinate? What the hell, you can't play golf like that! I mean sure I'll hit some heroin or acid, but marijuana? Just seems so wrong you know?

Says the guy with the Telecaster for an avatar!  Hahaha!

Originally Posted by NuclearMike

Haven't seen that since my brother and I would smoke on the course, 15 years ago.  It helped with visualization of the swing and often led to lower scores.

The only way I can see smoking dope lowering your score is if it helps you forget how many strokes you've taken.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Limpinswinger

The only way I can see smoking dope lowering your score is if it helps you forget how many strokes you've taken.

lol that was pretty funny.

If I play a course that does not have a range, I will typically have a few beers before my round to relax and then hit the putting/chipping green for a while. If I'm playing with my Dad or my buddies, I'll get a 6 pack for our cart for the front 9 which gives us 3 each. Have a draft at the turn with a hot dog and then take it from there. Typically, I'll finish my round off with a 20oz. water and a Monster energy drink to get rehydrated/refocused and not blow my score if it's good. If my score sucks at the turn, I reload the cooler without hesitation.

A nice little "warming" feeling helps me play better. Buzzed or beyond and you're essentially wasting your time in my opinion - unless you're playing in a scramble/outing where it's acceptable and others are joining in. I've played my share of outings where 5 gallons of jungle juice on the backs of golf carts was flowing like water and by the 19th, you had to cut your Rib-Eye while closing one eye to focus...

I've seen it twice, maybe three times, always when I walked on by myself.  Once it was offered to me and I declined.

When I first started playing, I got paired up with a real blue collar sort of guy, friendly enough, who pulled a 20-oz Coke bottle out of his bag, he took  a few swigs, and dumped all but about 1/4 of it out.  He filled it the rest of the way with Everclear.  No exaggeration - I asked him if it really was Everclear.  He admitted it was, that it calms his nerves, that he knew most doctors would say he has a drinking problem, but he just likes to get out and relax on a Saturday.  It was about 7:00 a.m. at the time.  He told me that once in a while he'll go to a more upscale course with bottle he had carefully removed the seal, fill the bottle about 2/3 with water, re-attach the seal, and try to get paired up with some "cocky rich dudes."  He said he would make a scene of pouring his "cocktail" and offer some Everclear to the "rich dudes" who would think he was a drunk who was about to get blotto.  After gulping about half his bottle of "cocktail" he'd get a bit loud and boisterous and obnoxiously try to goad the other guys to put some cash on the round, which they would think was easy money with how wasted he seemed.  He said he usually took the other guys for enough to pay for his round at the nicer course.  He could tell I was a beginner, he wasn't trying to get me to play for money, and I told him early on that I don't gamble anyway, so I don't think he was trying to pretend a bottle of his watered-down stuff was pure grain, I think it was the real deal.  He must have had no liver left, because after 12 holes (bizarre little muni course that they expanded from a 9-hole course but never finished the other six holes), he still seemed about the same as he had before we started and was mostly finished with his bottle.

On July 4th this year, I played a rural country club that was open to the public that had attacted a few foursomes of good ol' boy golfers all in US flag shirts, one with boom box blasting "Proud to Be An American" on the back of his cart, all of them pretty liquored up before 9am.  The foursome behind us seemed to be hitting the bottle harder than the ball which was absolutely crazy, since it was in the upper 90's before noon.  On the 13th hole, one of the guys ended up puking out his guts next to a port-a-potty and looked like he was going to pass out.  Maybe he refused to leave them or maybe his buddies were as dumb as he was and never thought about him, but he rode with them the entire 18 holes, instead of getting driven straight to the air conditioned clubhouse.  Morons.

I'll have a beer or two sometimes on a round, but often will just stick with Gatorade or water.  The one time I had four beers on one round of golf I ended up losing a bunch of balls, some of them probably not too badly hit, because I kept forgetting to concentrate on where they were going after I hit them and couldn't figure out where they landed.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

• 1 year later...

What annoys me is that most people wont ask if you don't mind before they light up. I just had potentially my best round ever ruined by a bunch of pot heads, I don't touch the stuff so getting what they call a contact high happens fairly easy, I played the front nine 1 under and was only 2 over by the 16th hole when on the tee at 15 three of them started blazing away and I tried to avoid getting in contact with that smoke but it was everywhere and of course no wind that day. By the time I reached 16 my head was swimming and proceeded to get a quadruple 8 thanks a lot, I was so pissed I finished 7 over on those last three holes, shooting a good score is no easy feat either at my course 73.5 rate 139 slope. Just want to let anyone out there that thinks it's okay to just blaze away cause your playing partner you just met is an easy going guy and wont say anything is a very rude and lame thing to do.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

What annoys me is that most people wont ask if you don't mind before they light up. I just had potentially my best round ever ruined by a bunch of pot heads, I don't touch the stuff so getting what they call a contact high happens fairly easy, I played the front nine 1 under and was only 2 over by the 16th hole when on the tee at 15 three of them started blazing away and I tried to avoid getting in contact with that smoke but it was everywhere and of course no wind that day. By the time I reached 16 my head was swimming and proceeded to get a quadruple 8 thanks a lot, I was so pissed I finished 7 over on those last three holes, shooting a good score is no easy feat either at my course 73.5 rate 139 slope. Just want to let anyone out there that thinks it's okay to just blaze away cause your playing partner you just met is an easy going guy and wont say anything is a very rude and lame thing to do.

I can easily see how that would bother someone. A guy pulled a big bag out and loaded a bowl one time in front of me and a buddy on the 18th. We thanked him but declined and he swung away duffing his drive 20yds straight. Right after he had been bragging about his new custom driver. He went up to his ball and tried to go driver off the deck and ruined his club. The custom head went flying into the woods. Expensive shaft broke at the tip. He shrugged got into his cart and took off, no goodbye, no nothin. Good vibes?? More like weirdo lol.

Note: This thread is 3885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!