IGNORED

different balls on same hole?

Lost-Ball
Note: This thread is 4311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

When in doubt, assume that you're ****ing crazy.

Thanks, Erik.  I just woke my daughter up when I fell off of the barstool laughing hysterically.

But to get a serious point out of this nonsense, how "damaged" does a ball have to be to warrant replacement under the rules?  I play Penta; it's a great ball, but it has one major flaw.  One solid wedge shot from a fairway lie puts a 3-groove scuff on the cover.  You can actually see tiny bits of cover sticking up off of the side of the ball.

Would this not be sufficiently damaged to warrant replacement under the rules?

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by tiger187126

trust me, i've tried. i've smacked a ball off a 3H into a tree with quite a bit of force and you couldn't tell at all when it bounced back past me.

Even bouncing one off a cart path won't qualify, as it only scuffs the cover.  I've seen overly sharp clubface grooves do more damage, and that doesn't qualify either.  If you choose to use such a club, then you take the consequences.  Rule 5-3 says:

5-3. Ball Unfit for Play

A ball is unfit for play if it is visibly cut, cracked or out of shape. A ball is not unfit for play solely because mud or other materials adhere to it, its surface is scratched or scraped or its paint is damaged or discolored.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by k-troop

Thanks, Erik.  I just woke my daughter up when I fell off of the barstool laughing hysterically.

But to get a serious point out of this nonsense, how "damaged" does a ball have to be to warrant replacement under the rules?  I play Penta; it's a great ball, but it has one major flaw.  One solid wedge shot from a fairway lie puts a 3-groove scuff on the cover.  You can actually see tiny bits of cover sticking up off of the side of the ball.

No, cuts in the cover isn't enough to do it... the ball would have to be cracked with the cover coming off to the point you can see the other layers.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I don't even see what benefit there would be in switching balls (of the same model) to putt. I find it hard to believe that a wedge mark or two is going to alter the ball's roll. After you remove any shards off the ball there's just a very slight imperfection on the surface, and you're putting on a soft cushy surface (the tops of grass), so I would think that the minor blemish would be further rendered irrelevant.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by k-troop

No this would not warrant replacement under the rules.  The last workshop I went to we actually saw pictures of balls that would qualify.  Let me just say it's really hard to cut or crack a ball to meet the requirements for a ball unfit for play.......let alone deform one.

I play 80 - 100 rounds a year, and in the last 5 years I can not remember damaging a ball to the extent that I could take it out of play under the rules. Today's balls just don't cut or crack like the old days.  Think lawn mower running over it.

Regards,

John

Originally Posted by Dormie1360

No this would not warrant replacement under the rules.  The last workshop I went to we actually saw pictures of balls that would qualify.  Let me just say it's really hard to cut or crack a ball to meet the requirements for a ball unfit for play.......let alone deform one.

I play 80 - 100 rounds a year, and in the last 5 years I can not remember damaging a ball to the extent that I could take it out of play under the rules. Today's balls just don't cut or crack like the old days.  Think lawn mower running over it.

Young golfers can't really appreciate this much. Us older folks can remember when a bladed wedge shot resulted in a ball that smiled at you.  LOL

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by turtleback

Young golfers can't really appreciate this much. Us older folks can remember when a bladed wedge shot resulted in a ball that smiled at you.  LOL

I used to face that situation often back when I played Titleist balatas.  I have had exactly one time when this came up with a modern ball, and it was a playing companion whose ball cracked halfway through on a drive, playing in mid-winter fairly early morning while the temperature was still around 40.  The ball had been left in his car, parked outside overnight, and was much colder than the air temp when he hit his drive on the first hole.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I can't really think of anything that would damage a modern ball enough.  Maybe if it bounced off of a boulder of hit a sharp edge of one while still in flight.  Even then, I don't know which would break first, haha.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by Rulesman

You cannot be serious. If this was ever found the player would never play a pro event again. A couple of days ago a caddie was banned for life for hiding an extra club.

Indefinitely, not for life.

And while they would get a suspension, to say they would never play a pro event again is a bit beyond reality. They would get a fair suspension, and be watched in the future. Hell, the pro could easily say he didnt know his caddie switched balls. but yes, we know patrick isa moron who pulls his ideas out of his ass.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

That said, I only saw a ball get overly damaged once. A friend hit his ball and the cover completely seperated from a brand new ball. It was a Callaway Warbird 2.0, nobody can explain what happened. We found the cover and the core. He actually brought it to the pro shop where he bougfht them that morning, and Callaway comped him a dozen new balls, which was cool of them. He wasnt even complaining, just wanted to show the pro, who then called the rep that told him to give the customer a dozen.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

If I use a yellow ball it would be this one...

HAHAHA

I found one of these helping my playing partner look for a ball in the tall grass the other day.

Classic.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

• 2 weeks later...
Some of the more "senior" members of the forum are right - back in the day it seemed like you could put a smile in a ball just by looking at it wrong. It was pretty easy to need to replace a ball in those days. But nowadays it would be a pretty radical event to cause that much damage. Though there was one tournament when Phil was trying to convince the officials to let him replace his ball before putting. The official kept looking at the ball and his look was priceless - definitely wondering what Phil was seeing that he wasn't.

Note: This thread is 4311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!