IGNORED

Post different course etiquettes please!

Dan Garcia
Note: This thread is 3419 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by NM Golf

Maybe I am just easy to get along with or hard to disturb but when you are done putting in my group go do something useful don't stand around killing grass watching me putt out.

I though of another one:

When playing with someone for the first time don't say "I never do this" or "I never play this bad" or "I don't know whats wrong with me today" every time you hit a bad shot. I can take one look at your swing and know if you are any good. I don't care if you suck, we have all sucked at one time or another. Lying about how you normally play will not make you play better.

I have to say that I am usually a much better golfer than I showed yesterday and I imagine the people with me were awfully annoyed with me complaining about my game that day. I truely am a much better player than I was on this particular day. I have to say that sometimes people are having an off day but I see how it can be awfully annoying

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Good thread, I definitely learned a couple of things.  I did like this quoted post in particular.  As a newer golfer, it certainly saves time if everyone has tracked the ball.

Originally Posted by saevel25

-On the tee help track other player's ball in the air, sometimes you can loose sight of them

I have to say that I am usually a much better golfer than I showed yesterday and I imagine the people with me were awfully annoyed with me complaining about my game that day. I truely am a much better player than I was on this particular day. I have to say that sometimes people are having an off day but I see how it can be awfully annoying

I'm not trying to dog you, but: - As another poster pointer out, people know if you have game or not. Complaining about a bad day is just, well....complaining. Who wants to hear that? I just started playing again after a 6+ year layoff. I shot 99 the first time out and i was with strangers. As much as I wanted to say, "Wait! I really do have game!", the fact was that I didn't have game that day, so I shut it. - I have a "three second rule". If I hit a terrible shot and want to grumble to myself, I take a couple of seconds to do so and then come up smiling (the smiling part is important to me). If I'm playing with someone I don't know and I hit a really bad shot, I'll usually say something like, "Guys, you can laugh if you want, 'cause if you hit a shot like that, I'm gonna laugh at you!" I don't, of course, but it eases the tension among some folks, especially the guy(s) that's been complaining about his game all day. - There is no mercy amongst the regular guys I play with. If you play bad, you're going to hear about it. If someone takes themselves too seriously, they won't last with us. If you've never played with us, we'll cut you some slack......the first time. - I get that people can be intense on the golf course and are really trying to accomplish something every round. That's cool, but at the end of the day, it's still a game. I feel bad for the dude that doesn't seem to be having any fun. - Moping around the golf course can (but shouldn't) impact others in your group. Man up and take your medicine when you play poorly. Everyone's been there and, relative to their current game, will be there again, usually sooner rather than later. Cigarette butts/trash: I have a buddy that throws all his butts in the cart. He tips a sawbuck to have his clubs and cart cleaned after every round. A kid was grumbling about the butts one day, so when that young man comes out to the cart now, my buddy cleans the cart and clubs himself and saves ten bucks. When I was 16 or whatever, I'd have been happy to clean up anything short of vomit for a decent tip. YMMV.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

Some of my favorite things I've seen on the course:

Guy playing with no shirt on.

Cart tire marks through bunkers.

Cart tire marks on green.

Flag run over and embedded into green.

Someone using the hole as an ashtray, ON 18 STRAIGHT HOLES!!!

Chewing tobacco in the cup.

Watched a guy try and do some kind of flop shot on the green. Chunked it and ran off leaving one hell of a divot.

People teeing off at a water tower on a course I play sending balls into local water supply.

People who decide to collect lost balls laying near water rather than play.

And last but certainly not least:

Watched from a distance as a guy pissed into the cup on the 18th green and threw the flag away like a javelin.

Sometimes I laugh this stuff off, but this clown deserved to be beaten. And had he not ditched his cart in the lot rather than return it, we may have found him and did just that.

Watch the volume of your voice while playing. You could be yelling to your partner across the fairway while someone is in the middle of their backswing on an adjacent hole. Yelling "Fore!" being the exception. Yesterday I was attempting to pitch onto a green and along came 2 carts from an adjacent hole searching for their tee shots. The leader of the group was loud enough to be clearly heard 100 yds away, while he called to all in his group to make sure they'd each found their ball. As I was on the green getting ready to putt, I noticed they were dead silent while everyone in their group hit their shots. Show the same courtesy to other groups.

Originally Posted by GatorCallaway

Watched a guy try and do some kind of flop shot on the green. Chunked it and ran off leaving one hell of a divot.

People teeing off at a water tower on a course I play sending balls into local water supply.

Watched from a distance as a guy pissed into the cup on the 18th green and threw the flag away like a javelin.

Sometimes I laugh this stuff off, but this clown deserved to be beaten. And had he not ditched his cart in the lot rather than return it, we may have found him and did just that.

Yuck. Was this all at the same course?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not that it excuses the action but, wouldn't the water tower be sealed? An open water tower would be subject to all manner of contamination ranging from bird poop to acid rain.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

You must've played in the same scramble I did. Charity scramble put on by a bar and the majority of were not golfers. Throw in free alcohol and you get things like this.

Shirtless golfers

Drunks yelling lewd comments at the teenage girls playing at the tennis center next to the 3rd tee.

Flags thrown in the bunker.

Tire marks thru the bunkers.

Somebody cracking a bull whip (Yes, a bull whip) at a flagstick.

An all out brawl on the 17th fairway.

2 cops, in full uniform, riding in a golf cart heading for said brawl.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

I saw (from a distance) some junior golfers break into a water cooler so they could piss in it.  Very high brow stuff.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Not that it excuses the action but, wouldn't the water tower be sealed? An open water tower would be subject to all manner of contamination ranging from bird poop to acid rain.

Ya, any water tower i've seen is sealed. Unless he lives in a desert area where they use huge tubs to collect water. Then it would not matter, because it will all be treated before it goes to peoples homes. I highly doubt a tower of drinking water is open.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

I saw (from a distance) some junior golfers break into a water cooler so they could piss in it.  Very high brow stuff.

Lovely.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Originally Posted by ApocG10

Ya, any water tower i've seen is sealed. Unless he lives in a desert area where they use huge tubs to collect water. Then it would not matter, because it will all be treated before it goes to peoples homes. I highly doubt a tower of drinking water is open.

I guess I should have said into the reservoir. And no this is not at the same course lol. You would however be shocked to know that the worst stuff happens at the "finer" more expensive courses. Seems to me that the cheaper the course around here, the better people treat them. Forgot to mention the porta-john knocked over at one of the "finer" courses. That was nice.

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

You must've played in the same scramble I did. Charity scramble put on by a bar and the majority of were not golfers. Throw in free alcohol and you get things like this.

Shirtless golfers

Drunks yelling lewd comments at the teenage girls playing at the tennis center next to the 3rd tee.

Flags thrown in the bunker.

Tire marks thru the bunkers.

Somebody cracking a bull whip (Yes, a bull whip) at a flagstick.

An all out brawl on the 17th fairway.

2 cops, in full uniform, riding in a golf cart heading for said brawl.

Epic behavior. Charity brings out the best people.

Originally Posted by NM Golf

Ummm we do this all the time in our group. We don't pull a Sabatini and go tee off while others are putting out but all standing around watching seems like a giant waste of time. We like to play fairly fast though.

Not really a etiquette thing, but how about learning how to properly fix a ball mark. A tee is NOT a proper tool, and popping the dang thing up from the middle is almost as bad as just leaving it. Erik used to have a good video about how to properly fix a ball mark, but I found this one on Youtube.

You can do the same thing with a tee that you can with a ball marker. I push towards the divot just like in that video. You can't even tell there was divot when I'm done. At least I fix my divots. I fix 3 or 4 on every green I step on.

Originally Posted by 1puttit

Speaking as the guy who has to clean the cart after your round, please don't use the cart as your ashtray. Throw them in the trash. Nobody wants to pick your cigarette butts out of the cup and ball holders.

I agree.  But a lot of courses I see don't have trash cans on every hole.  So worst case, put them in the cart - or discard them into a bottle/can.  Or as one of the other users eluded to with regard to the Sun Flower Seeds... Leave them at home!

Originally Posted by meenman

Quote:

Speaking as the guy who has to clean the cart after your round, please don't use the cart as your ashtray. Throw them in the trash. Nobody wants to pick your cigarette butts out of the cup and ball holders.

Are you cool with my empty beer cans and cigar wrappers?

Yeah, no problem. Some carts come back looking like somebody threw a frat party in it. LOL. The cigarette butts are a pain as people shove'em in the cup holders and the only way to get them out is digging them out with your fingers.

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

Yeah, no problem. Some carts come back looking like somebody threw a frat party in it. LOL. The cigarette butts are a pain as people shove'em in the cup holders and the only way to get them out is digging them out with your fingers.

Blast em out with the hose.  C'mon man, cart cleaning 101.  I spent a few summers in my youth as a cart jockey.  As long as there were a few bucks on the wheel you can bring that cart back however you please.  Also loved when guys would leave unopened beers behind.  I had a stash going in the cart barn and would pop a couple when we shut down.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

On Par 3's... Specifically if it is a slow round and several groups are backing up on the tee box.  Once your foursome gets their balls onto the green - mark them and waive the group behind you to hit their approach shots toward the green.  After they are done hitting their approach shots from the tee box... Finish out and then go to the next hole.  This will significantly help the pace of play.

Note: This thread is 3419 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!