IGNORED

Whats your Avg Drive swing speed?

Note: This thread is 3957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

26y/o., 5' 11' 160lbs

Anywhere between 110-20

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

http://thesandtrap.com/t/54229/trackman-figures-from-some-tour-players

Just thought I'd throw out the link to the Tour players trackman info to keep things in perspective and to hopefully qwell some of the outlandish claims usually seen in these threads.

Funny quote from TourSpoon in that thread talking about the Pros average swing speed....

"I learned that most of these guys would have a hard time keeping up with the typical Internet drive average."

Rory was averaging 111 mph I believe. His average carry distance was 279 yds as well with average total distance at 290 yds.

I'm 6'1" 220 lbs at 44 years old and do well to get 100 mph consistently. I'll catch a hold of some drives and get them out there 270 or so (including roll).

I'm a little hesistant to believe some numbers given at Dick's or Edwin Watts since they're trying to sell me stuff.

33 years old - professional - 118 mph 6 foot 1 - 170 lb - average distance carry on Trackman 276 yards , was 259 then worked on more of a positive angle of attack as was a 2 negative now up striking 2 degrees , no change in speed , shows the importance on attack angle . I had to change my path also to suit this (D Plane)

Originally Posted by Pablo68

http://thesandtrap.com/t/54229/trackman-figures-from-some-tour-players

Just thought I'd throw out the link to the Tour players trackman info to keep things in perspective and to hopefully qwell some of the outlandish claims usually seen in these threads.

Funny quote from TourSpoon in that thread talking about the Pros average swing speed....

"I learned that most of these guys would have a hard time keeping up with the typical Internet drive average."

Rory was averaging 111 mph I believe. His average carry distance was 279 yds as well with average total distance at 290 yds.

I'm 6'1" 220 lbs at 44 years old and do well to get 100 mph consistently. I'll catch a hold of some drives and get them out there 270 or so (including roll).

I'm a little hesistant to believe some numbers given at Dick's or Edwin Watts since they're trying to sell me stuff.

Rory can hit it 320 at the drop of a hat, absolutely whenever the hell he wants. He averages over 120mph on the course, he's just holding back on the range. Watch him in one of his major wins, he's swinging 100% and he's hitting his driver over 320 almost every hole, only hitting it less when he takes an iron or wood. Same deal with Dustin Johnson in that thread; he doesn't swing 110mph. Boo Weekly was the only one who swung full speed.

It is my solemn opinion that anyone between 16 and 50 that is fit enough that they can walk 18 and isn't extraordinarily undersized or handicapped physically, should have no excuse not to be physically able to swing over 100mph. These tour players are really not very good athletes compared to other athletes. Maybe Dustin Johnson can dunk; he's 6'4" and would be a terrible athlete if he couldn't dunk. He'd have to be able to grab an 11' rim just to be on par with college basketball players. It's the technique and consistency that is impressive, not the athleticism of these pros. And even then, the technique of generating speed is pretty intuitive. That's the easy thing to match to the pros. I don't look like much, am self taught, yet I can swing well over 110 if I try to. My strength compared to other men my age is probably average despite my low weight, but I have much better mechanics.

Just because the average player is hitting drives in the 200 range doesn't mean someone needs to be a physical anomaly or a scratch golfer to get to 105. And when someone is a good athlete or has a lot of flexibility and can hit the 120 range, that's really not so out of the ordinary. Phil Mickelson could get it into the 120s, he has arthritis. (and find a picture of his shirt off sometime if you want graphic proof of my point) Someone like Barkley, who was an excellent athlete for years and is really tall, probably couldn't swing over 90. Someone like Sadlowski would represent a real anomaly, both good technique and physically gifted. If someone says they can outswing him, maybe you can call BS.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Age 28

Height 5'9 or 10

Weight 190

AVG SS for driver 118 mph

I think this is a mundane number though. Length off the tee can be had with the right combo of loft and shaft no matter what the swing speed is. I have a buddy with an AVG driver SS of 95-98ish that is still carrying 280=285 on avg off the tee. It's all about building the right club for your swing and not always worrying about the number followed by an mph unless it's ball speed.

Just my 2 cents

LT59

Titleist 910 D2 10.5 Aldila RIP Phenom

Callaway RAZR fit 3 wood Avixcore 69 series

Mizuno MP650 19* hybrid

Scratch SB-1 DS 4-PW R+ C-Taper

Scratch 1018 DS 53 & 60

Low Tide Fin 

3UP 3F12

Originally Posted by zebrasinamerica

Age 28

Height 5'9 or 10

Weight 190

I think this is a mundane number though. Length off the tee can be had with the right combo of loft and shaft no matter what the swing speed is. I have a buddy with an AVG driver SS of 95-98ish that is still carrying 280=285 on avg off the tee. It's all about building the right club for your swing and not always worrying about the number followed by an mph unless it's ball speed.

Just my 2 cents

LT59

The slowest guy on tour in 2012, David Toms, averaged 260 yards carry and 104 swing speed. He was 5th in carry efficiency, meaning he was just about the best on tour at making his swing speed into the longest drives possible. He was also first in a stat called "Smash Factor", which is your ball speed in a ratio with your swing speed, measuring your contact. So he's the purest driver on tour, with some of the most dialed in equipment to make the most of his lackluster swing speed. Your buddy is an amateur with 12-13mph slower swings, yet averages 25 yards longer on carry than the guy who is the poster boy for "Length off the tee can be had with the right combo of loft and shaft no matter what the swing speed is". Not only that, he's a 10mph slower swinger than the slowest guy on tour, yet ranks in the top third of the highest professional tour in carry distance, in a sport at a level of competition where carry distance is hugely valued and maximized.

You can't possibly carry longer than 270 with sub 150 ball speed unless you have a ton of wind, let alone average it. And that's assuming inhuman launch conditions of 30˚ launch and 1000 spin. Your buddy might swing as low as about 112, assuming he has about optimal numbers for a human, but it's likely he's swinging about what you are. Either that or you're grossly overestimating his distances.

Swing speed can get an absolute maximum of 1.5x ratio of ball speed, dictated by equipment limitations. That ball speed is only possible to increase up to that 1.5x ratio, once it is you can't get more ball speed without more swing speed. That guy David Toms, the most efficient driver around, averaged 1.486, not even able to get to 1.5x.

You can maximize your carry based on your ball speed, but only to a point. 105 mph of swing speed gets around 155mph of ball speed and a maximum carry number of 263 yards in neutral conditions. Most pros average around 165 ball speed and are a lot closer to optimal numbers, and still only average under 270 carry. The ones carrying it over 280 yards on average have last names like Watson and Mcilroy. Only 68 players last year averaged over 280 carry, about the top 3rd. Only 20 averaged over 290 carry, and 4 averaged over 300. The top 68 swing speeds were, by contrast, over 115, and the top 20 were over 119.

Either you're way off with the distance, maybe by 50 yards, way off about the speed by like 20mph, or he's playing maybe the most absurdly nonconforming equipment known to man, with a smash factor of about 1.7x.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Originally Posted by zebrasinamerica

Age 28

Height 5'9 or 10

Weight 190

Just my 2 cents

LT59

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

The slowest guy on tour in 2012, David Toms, averaged 260 yards carry and 104 swing speed. He was 5th in carry efficiency, meaning he was just about the best on tour at making his swing speed into the longest drives possible. He was also first in a stat called "Smash Factor", which is your ball speed in a ratio with your swing speed, measuring your contact. So he's the purest driver on tour, with some of the most dialed in equipment to make the most of his lackluster swing speed. Your buddy is an amateur with 12-13mph slower swings, yet averages 25 yards longer on carry than the guy who is the poster boy for "Length off the tee can be had with the right combo of loft and shaft no matter what the swing speed is". Not only that, he's a 10mph slower swinger than the slowest guy on tour, yet ranks in the top third of the highest professional tour in carry distance, in a sport at a level of competition where carry distance is hugely valued and maximized.

You can't possibly carry longer than 270 with sub 150 ball speed unless you have a ton of wind, let alone average it. And that's assuming inhuman launch conditions of 30˚ launch and 1000 spin. Your buddy might swing as low as about 112, assuming he has about optimal numbers for a human, but it's likely he's swinging about what you are. Either that or you're grossly overestimating his distances.

Swing speed can get an absolute maximum of 1.5x ratio of ball speed, dictated by equipment limitations. That ball speed is only possible to increase up to that 1.5x ratio, once it is you can't get more ball speed without more swing speed. That guy David Toms, the most efficient driver around, averaged 1.486, not even able to get to 1.5x.

You can maximize your carry based on your ball speed, but only to a point. 105 mph of swing speed gets around 155mph of ball speed and a maximum carry number of 263 yards in neutral conditions. Most pros average around 165 ball speed and are a lot closer to optimal numbers, and still only average under 270 carry. The ones carrying it over 280 yards on average have last names like Watson and Mcilroy. Only 68 players last year averaged over 280 carry, about the top 3rd. Only 20 averaged over 290 carry, and 4 averaged over 300. The top 68 swing speeds were, by contrast, over 115, and the top 20 were over 119.

Either you're way off with the distance, maybe by 50 yards, way off about the speed by like 20mph, or he's playing maybe the most absurdly nonconforming equipment known to man, with a smash factor of about 1.7x.

In conclusion ... certainly you can maximize your distance with a better driver/shaft combo and consistent contact, just not quite to the extent of Zebra's friend.

I have a "perfectly" fitted driver -actually 2 of them - and a 107-ish swing speed and the best I could do with a 1.49 smash factor was just short of about 270 carry  (if I recall correctly).

It's very possible his gps is giving him misleading info. I'm not sure I know he plays pure distance balls and maybe he's mid quoting his swing speed. There are too many factors that can be off one way or another. I spend more time concentrating on my game to be real concerned about his. It's also bossiness that I'm confusing his carry with another one of the guys I play with. My apologies for causing a riff. LT59

Titleist 910 D2 10.5 Aldila RIP Phenom

Callaway RAZR fit 3 wood Avixcore 69 series

Mizuno MP650 19* hybrid

Scratch SB-1 DS 4-PW R+ C-Taper

Scratch 1018 DS 53 & 60

Low Tide Fin 

3UP 3F12

I agree with many of the recent comments regarding swing speed vs ball speed.

I'm 27 years old 5'10" and my avg SS is 104-106.  A good drive for me is 285 total.  A normal drive is 265-275.

Sure I can swing it 110-112 but have very little control.  That's the difference between us and the pros.  They have that extra gear...where they can swing it 115-120+.  But they maintain their swing path/AOA and always strike the center of the face.   That's what's most impressive to me.

Titleist 910D3 - 9.5°- Ahina Stiff
Taylormade Burner 2.0 3Wood - Proforce V2 Stiff

Taylormade Burner 5W - Proforce V2 Stiff
910D 21° 3h - Ahina Stiff

Titleist 712 AP2 - KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey - 52* & 56*

Odyssey White Hot #1 XG

X's or B330's

• 5 months later...
I'm a decent golfer, decent swing, known as a big hitter; 6'2" 78 kg's 26 Year Old. Swing Speed 109-110 mph was 113mph earlier in the year. Avg Carry 255, finish 270+ Biggest Killer for me is AOA is -2/-3 and Spin therefore is 3200+ I'm working on it as My 1iron at 99mph swing speed and SF of 1.41 reaches 235 routinely.

48, 6'0" 180 95 mph if I am hitting it high that day and finding the center of the clubface I am in the 230-240 range.  Am I athletic enough to swing faster?  Yes easily.  Can I time the move to be accurate and get the distance, no.  Not right now but I am working on it.  I prefer 240 in the fairway to 280 in the weeds.

So pretty much most here swing about 100+ and are backing off a bit.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Note: This thread is 3957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!