IGNORED

Closer to breaking 90 and Proud Moment Today

GolfGuy123
Note: This thread is 3770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Shot 95 today...which I have shot a bunch of times (also have a bunch of 92s and 93s)...but there has been something much different about my recent rounds, especially today.

I was concentrating so hard on my game today and forgot to keep track of GIR but here is a few notes (and hence why I feel like im getting closer)

- Hit a lot of greens (for my personal standards) once again, didnt keep track but im almost certain it was 4 or 5 on the front and 5 or 6 on the back.

- I had (3) 4 putts!! (terrible, but this is almost NEVER where I lose strokes - I usually dont even 3 putt!)

- I had (5) 3 putts!!

- lost concentration on (2) chips (different holes), both from about 10-15 feet off the green, tensed up and thinned them over the green

My proudest moment of the day came on the 18th hole...I was trying not to keep track of where I was scorewise but at the 17th tee I realized if I parred both 17 and 18, I would shoot 94. ANYWAYS, I stuck my tee shot on 17 (130 yard par 3) pin high about 10 feet from the flag...and then proceeded to 3 putt!! UGHHH...Normally in this circumstance I would be so frustrated and it would effect my next shot hole...(not that bogeying that hole meant I could not break 90 for the first time but once I got that 94 in my head - I was gunning for it)...I stepped up to the 18th tee which is a par 4 that I normally play for bogey (somewhat long, slight dogleg with ob all down left side and deep trees / rough all down right side) and cleared my mind and just focused on the shot at hand...striped my 5 wood just right of center in the fairway and had 190 left to center of green, normally I would play it safe and lay up a 90 yard wedge but I thought F it...and I went for it...190 for me is a 5 iron, I hit it "almost" perfect cut it around the trees I had to avoid and cleared the 5 foot bunkers that surround the green and BOOM there I am, center of the green...2 putt for par for 95.

Frustrating thing about the day is I know if I only putted and chipped as well as I normally do, I would have broken 90 without a doubt..but unfortunately that didnt happen today. Should probably practice short game more, since it rarely gives me a problem I tend to take it for granted...not a good move, I know.

Shot 95 today...which I have shot a bunch of times (also have a bunch of 92s and 93s)...but there has been something much different about my recent rounds, especially today.

I was concentrating so hard on my game today and forgot to keep track of GIR but here is a few notes (and hence why I feel like im getting closer)

- Hit a lot of greens (for my personal standards) once again, didnt keep track but im almost certain it was 4 or 5 on the front and 5 or 6 on the back.

- I had (3) 4 putts!! (terrible, but this is almost NEVER where I lose strokes - I usually dont even 3 putt!)

- I had (5) 3 putts!!

- lost concentration on (2) chips (different holes), both from about 10-15 feet off the green, tensed up and thinned them over the green

Yeah if you shot 95 while hitting 9 or 10 greens, had five 3-putts and three 4-putts, gotta spend some time with the putting.

Were a lot of the first putts outside 30 feet?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm right there with you. I will play pretty well and blow it in one or two holes and ruin my score and every time I shoot a ten on a hole I think, 'there goes a 90'.

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

Yeah if you shot 95 while hitting 9 or 10 greens, had five 3-putts and three 4-putts, gotta spend some time with the putting. Were a lot of the first putts outside 30 feet?

2 of the 4-putts started out from over 30 ft. But all of the 3-putts would have been inside of that. Throughout the day I probably missed 4-5, 2-3 footers.

2 of the 4-putts started out from over 30 ft. But all of the 3-putts would have been inside of that. Throughout the day I probably missed 4-5, 2-3 footers.

Yeah you obviously missed some short ones but overall your speed control has to get better.  Couple things, hitting a putt a longer distance doesn't mean you "hit it" harder, just take a longer backstroke.  The rhythm of all strokes stays about the same.  As a drill place an alignment stick on the green, can do it from 10, 15, 20ft, and work on rolling balls where they just roll over the stick.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

?Do you have carpet at home? Best thing I ever did was practice my 5-10 foot putts in the lounge at night. Now 3 putts are rare and I get more up and downs if I chip to that distance. Better putting is the quickest way to lower scores. With that many GIR you should be shooting 85 not 95.

Yeah you obviously missed some short ones but overall your speed control has to get better.  Couple things, hitting a putt a longer distance doesn't mean you "hit it" harder, just take a longer backstroke.  The rhythm of all strokes stays about the same.  As a drill place an alignment stick on the green, can do it from 10, 15, 20ft, and work on rolling balls where they just roll over the stick.

Thanks for the note - my rhythm was terrible the entire round. Will def try this drill. My playing partner kept making comments that I was misreading the greens...although that may be partly true, I think it was more of a speed control issue as you say because my ball would either take the break way early and shoot way left / right of the hole OR I would putt through the break completely and run it way past the hole. I dont think a player of my handicap should put much effort into trying to read greens or play breaks perfectly anyway, instead my goal with long putts is to just try to be more concerned and focus on the pace / speed I need to hit the putt to get it close. Maybe this is the wrong approach, I dont know...but its usually what I try to do. Anyways, will def try this drill.

?Do you have carpet at home?

Best thing I ever did was practice my 5-10 foot putts in the lounge at night. Now 3 putts are rare and I get more up and downs if I chip to that distance. Better putting is the quickest way to lower scores. With that many GIR you should be shooting 85 not 95.

Yep have carpet in the house and thats a good idea, will def try. I spend so much mental and physical energy trying to make my full swing better only to realize if I just would have putted and chipped better yesterday I would have easily broken 90 and accomplished my short term goal. I also noticed missing short putts is a huge confidence killer...Often when I miss a short putt (inside 3-4 feet), I hit a terrible tee shot on the next hole. Its hard for me to "get over it" by the time I reach the next tee box, although I realize its very important to just mentally move on from it.

Thanks for the note - my rhythm was terrible the entire round. Will def try this drill. My playing partner kept making comments that I was misreading the greens...although that may be partly true, I think it was more of a speed control issue as you say because my ball would either take the break way early and shoot way left / right of the hole OR I would putt through the break completely and run it way past the hole. I dont think a player of my handicap should put much effort into trying to read greens or play breaks perfectly anyway, instead my goal with long putts is to just try to be more concerned and focus on the pace / speed I need to hit the putt to get it close. Maybe this is the wrong approach, I dont know...but its usually what I try to do. Anyways, will def try this drill.

Yep have carpet in the house and thats a good idea, will def try. I spend so much mental and physical energy trying to make my full swing better only to realize if I just would have putted and chipped better yesterday I would have easily broken 90 and accomplished my short term goal. I also noticed missing short putts is a huge confidence killer...Often when I miss a short putt (inside 3-4 feet), I hit a terrible tee shot on the next hole. Its hard for me to "get over it" by the time I reach the next tee box, although I realize its very important to just mentally move on from it.

I totally dissagree with the bold above.  This is where you should be putting most of your effort, this is an easy spot to shave strokes.  Congrats on your round, by the way! It's always nice to have a day that makes you feel great!

I know when I was a 25, like you are now, I missed a lot of greens.  I would be short in a bunker, or  just off the green ect.  My approach shots were all over the place.  Then one day I realized, you know what, you rarely hit the green and when you do, it's even more rare for you to be inside ten feet.  The three puts were killing me, so I went to work on the short game, worked on getting those chips to inside ten feet or better.  I worked on lag putting from 30 feet out, I did everything I could to replicate the kind of shots I always saw off the green.  It was great too, at my course the practice green is free.  So, I could get my golf fix in, practice an area that needed serious help in my game and I saved some money wich I put towards a hybrid I was looking at.

When I started out, I hated practicing the short game, I just found it boring.  But once I realized that was my ticket to breaking 90, it wasn't so boring anymore.  The next step for me at this point is using better course management.  To realize when I should go for it, and when it is better to layup to a yardage I have a good chance of putting it close to the pin.  Because in the past the defalt was to always go for it, which then gets me into a lot of trouble.  For me this is the next spot where I think it's easy to shave some strokes from my game.

Driver:        :tmade:- R11s                             GPS:        :skycaddie:- SGXW

3W:            :titleist:-910F 15*                             BAG:        :titleist:- 14 Way carry bag

Hybrid:       :titleist:910H 19*                                           :titleist:- 14 Way Cart bag

Irons 4-PW::titleist:- AP2 712

Wedges:    :vokey:- 52, 56, 60

Putter:       :cameron:- Studio Select 1.5

Ball:          :titleist:- Pro V1x

Total OUCH on missing all the short ones!  Sounds like you could have easily broken 90 had you been able to hole the 'makeable' putts!

Here's a practice regimen that is based on the theory of 'been there, done that a thousand times.'  Before I go to #1 tee, I spend about 15 minutes on the practice green with 2 balls.  Here's what I do:

Find a hole on practice green that is relatively flat.  I hit both balls from 4 sides of hole from 2' then 3' then 5 feet.  I don't use the alignment stripe on the ball, just the alignment aid on the putter.  Knock all the putts hitting the back of the hole on each.

Next, I find a hole that has a bit of break to it.  Same drill but this time you have an uphill, a downhill and a R and L breaker to the hole.  Hit the same 2, 3 and 5-foot putts with both balls making as many as you can.

Finally, I hit a few 20 and 30-footers trying to get the balls just past the hole.  Putt as many as you need to start getting them past the hole.  Proceed to tee box and have a good day on the greens!

My putting regimen is based on my experience watching my son at basketball practice.  He finished each practice making 100 'chippies' around the basket.  As the team's 'big man,' he had about 10 opportunities to make those shots each game.  Offensive rebounds and putbacks for scores were automatic for him.  Get the ball down low and he rarely missed.  It's the perfect example of 'been there and done that a thousand times.'

Seems to work well on the putting green for me.  It's what keeps me UNDER 90 most rounds!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Congrats on what you did right!!!  I am almost exactly where you are and had a very similar game about 2 weeks ago.  I have still yet to break 90, but am working hard in that direction.  I shot a 93 about two weeks ago, which I would usually be pretty happy about.  I went 7-8-7 on three consecutive holes with two 4 putts. I have rounds where I may only have a couple of 3 putts, but two 4 putts in three holes?!?!

I had to calm down and remind myself that I was out doing what I loved to do...relax.  I went on to shoot a couple of pars, a bogey, etc and end with the 93.  After the round I looked at my card and did the whole "if's and buts" and figured not only would I have broke into the 80's, it would have been more like an 86 if I had just not had a 3 hole melt down.  Oh well, I also did a lot right.

I share your excitement as parts of my game and swing are starting to come together I know 80's are just around the corner for both of us!!

Joe

I totally dissagree with the bold above.  This is where you should be putting most of your effort, this is an easy spot to shave strokes.  Congrats on your round, by the way! It's always nice to have a day that makes you feel great!

When I started out, I hated practicing the short game, I just found it boring.  But once I realized that was my ticket to breaking 90, it wasn't so boring anymore.  The next step for me at this point is using better course management.  To realize when I should go for it, and when it is better to layup to a yardage I have a good chance of putting it close to the pin.  Because in the past the defalt was to always go for it, which then gets me into a lot of trouble.  For me this is the next spot where I think it's easy to shave some strokes from my game.

I hear ya, guess I was just trying to say its hard enough for me to just guess the pace correctly - then when you throw break on top of it, if im having a bad day putting - it can get ugly lol.
Good thing for me though is I actually enjoy practicing short game! I just dont do it enough...I could chip, putt and hit bunker shots for hours...When I first started playing, I used to go to the practice area after work almost every day and work on short game for 1-2 hours. It didnt feel like practice because I honestly enjoyed it. Need to at least get back to doing that once a week or so!

Total OUCH on missing all the short ones!  Sounds like you could have easily broken 90 had you been able to hole the 'makeable' putts!

Here's a practice regimen that is based on the theory of 'been there, done that a thousand times.'  Before I go to #1 tee, I spend about 15 minutes on the practice green with 2 balls.  Here's what I do:

Find a hole on practice green that is relatively flat.  I hit both balls from 4 sides of hole from 2' then 3' then 5 feet.  I don't use the alignment stripe on the ball, just the alignment aid on the putter.  Knock all the putts hitting the back of the hole on each.

Next, I find a hole that has a bit of break to it.  Same drill but this time you have an uphill, a downhill and a R and L breaker to the hole.  Hit the same 2, 3 and 5-foot putts with both balls making as many as you can.

Finally, I hit a few 20 and 30-footers trying to get the balls just past the hole.  Putt as many as you need to start getting them past the hole.  Proceed to tee box and have a good day on the greens!

My putting regimen is based on my experience watching my son at basketball practice.  He finished each practice making 100 'chippies' around the basket.  As the team's 'big man,' he had about 10 opportunities to make those shots each game.  Offensive rebounds and putbacks for scores were automatic for him.  Get the ball down low and he rarely missed.  It's the perfect example of 'been there and done that a thousand times.'

Seems to work well on the putting green for me.  It's what keeps me UNDER 90 most rounds!

dave

Sounds like a great drill! def. going to incorporate this as well. thanks

Congrats on what you did right!!!  I am almost exactly where you are and had a very similar game about 2 weeks ago.  I have still yet to break 90, but am working hard in that direction.  I shot a 93 about two weeks ago, which I would usually be pretty happy about.  I went 7-8-7 on three consecutive holes with two 4 putts. I have rounds where I may only have a couple of 3 putts, but two 4 putts in three holes?!?!

I had to calm down and remind myself that I was out doing what I loved to do...relax.  I went on to shoot a couple of pars, a bogey, etc and end with the 93.  After the round I looked at my card and did the whole "if's and buts" and figured not only would I have broke into the 80's, it would have been more like an 86 if I had just not had a 3 hole melt down.  Oh well, I also did a lot right.

I share your excitement as parts of my game and swing are starting to come together I know 80's are just around the corner for both of us!!

Joe

Thanks man! I hear ya, it really does feel so close! Although the day after my 95, I backed it up with 103 ;( My putting was not as bad as the 95 round...what killed me was 100 yards and in along with a few errant or short tee shots (I take a lot of irons off the tee, and with the wind blowing, I was not getting the ball out their far enough and ended up having to play safely on more holes than I normally would have (laying up on more par 4s etc).

I am trying not to get too down about it because I know everyone can and does have up and down rounds, it's just that for us the bad rounds are over 100, which is just a hard pill to swallow. I would think if you usually shoot in the 80s, it wouldnt drive you too crazy to throw up some rounds in the 90s but when your a 90s player (like us) and trying to get into the 80s, a round in the 100s is very frustrating / depressing (speaking for myself lol)...obviously no offense to anyone trying to break into 90s but im sorry, golf is not fun if your posting those extremely high scores (over 100). dont get me wrong, if you enjoy the 3-4 hours in the fresh air, scenery and chasing a little white ball then more power to ya! But thats not me (and I wouldnt think its most of us considering we are here posting in a golf forum lol)

Mate, I feel your pain. I have only broken 90 twice. First time was our open day and I won that, second time was a scrounges game. Man I was over the moon. But I usually destroy my game with 2-3 holes. Having a double or triple bogey just destabilizes me for a couple of holes. It's so bloody annoying.

R11s driver 

R11s 3 wood

Rescue 11 3  18*

Rescue 11 4  21*

MP-59 5-pw

ATV wedge 54* 60*

Metal-X 2 ball putter

3.0 buggy

DX-3 ball

FLX glove

Shoes

Towel

Oakley antix sunglasses 

solar umbrella 

Note: This thread is 3770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!