IGNORED

2014 Dubai Desert Classic

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think this is his 3rd tournament and so far he's played poorly in one and were it not for Zach Johnson's miracle holeout from 80 yards he would have won the other.

He basically should be 50% on wins this year ... so, yeah, I agree ... crap.

Why "should" he "be 50% on wins this year"?

Not only was his charity event last year, he didn't win the thing...so he "should" be exactly what he currently is.

Not only was his charity event last year, he didn't win the thing...so he "should" be exactly what he currently is.

I think @Golfingdad 's point was it's a tad early to write off a guy who won 5 times last year and almost won one already this year. All last season people were saying that he sucked and couldn't hit a draw and yadda, yadda, yadda ... but then he finished with POY honors plus the Vardon.

I agree that a lot of people view Tiger through rose colored glasses, but just as many, if not more, view him through poo -stained goggles.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

FYI ... this season started on October 10th.  Most of the time when we talk about sports, the word "year" typically refers to "season."

So, then you are suggesting that losing a tournament on a miracle shot counts as "playing like crap?"

Is your name Reece Bobby?

:beer:

I think @Golfingdad's point was it's a tad early to write off a guy who won 5 times last year and almost won one already this year. All last season people were saying that he sucked and couldn't hit a draw and yadda, yadda, yadda...but then he finished with POY honors plus the Vardon.

I agree that a lot of people view Tiger through rose colored glasses, but just as many, if not more, view him through poo-stained goggles.

I didn't write him off, I just said he has been playing crap so far. I made no predictions about the rest of the year.

He hit it into the desert 5 times today. He miraculously had a shot to the green each time. He was missing it so wide he was avoiding all the danger, so he was actually lucky he was playing so poorly. Ironically, if he had played less bad he may have missed the cut!

FYI ... this season started on October 10th.  Most of the time when we talk about sports, the word "year" typically refers to "season."

So, then you are suggesting that losing a tournament on a miracle shot counts as "playing like crap?"

That's just the PGA Tour season.

I'll go your way so and include his charity event. I certainly wouldn't classify losing a 4 shot lead with 8 to play as playing good ;-)

That's just the PGA Tour season.

I'll go your way so and include his charity event. I certainly wouldn't classify losing a 4 shot lead with 8 to play as playing good

If I recall correctly, he played those holes even par. I certainly wouldn't classify his opponent playing a crazy good last 8 holes as him playing bad. ;-)

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

If I recall correctly, he played those holes even par. I certainly wouldn't classify his opponent playing a crazy good last 8 holes as him playing bad.

Considering that stretch contains 3 reachable par 5s I wouldn't rate shooting level par on that stretch very highly at all.

If I recall correctly, he played those holes even par. I certainly wouldn't classify his opponent playing a crazy good last 8 holes as him playing bad.

Good memory.  I just looked it up and you are exactly right.  After 10 holes Tiger was -2 for the day and Zach was even par for the day.  Tiger made one bogey and one birdie and 6 pars while Zach made 4 birdies and 4 pars (and the holeout from the fairway was one of the pars).  Not exactly a "choke job." ;)

So this SEASON , he's finished 2 tournaments, nearly won one and played poorly in the other and missed the secondary cut.  His 3rd tournament is only half over ... where he's 8 strokes off the lead and 5 strokes out of 3rd place.  Not exactly over yet.

Oh, and I just went to his website and found the rest of his recent schedule.  His only other "real" tournament since the Tour Championship (not counting the Presidents Cup or the 1-on-1 match in China) was in November in Turkey ... where he finished tied for 3rd.

Considering that stretch contains 3 reachable par 5s I wouldn't rate shooting level par on that stretch very highly at all.

Highly? No.

Not playing good? Maybe a stretch. He played the par 5s at -1, and Zach played out of his mind, so I give more credit to Zach's play, than to say Tiger didn't play well.

Anyways, perception depends on where you stand.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

I lost track ... what day, month, year is it?

Oh, Dubai....

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Congrats to Gallacher for being the first golfer to defend this tournament!!!

Ouch Rory

Nice comeback by Gallacher...

Tiger had a better weekend than Rory ... that is 'ouch'.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Congrats to Gallacher for being the first golfer to defend this tournament!!!

Ouch Rory

I fell asleep on the couch about 2-3 holes in. Too bad about Rory's Sunday, still, top 10 finish is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

It seems to me that Rory has got to show some spine and tell his fiance Carol Wozniacki to let him do his work and wait outside the ropes with the rest of the player's significant others. I would say that her presence took Rory's mind off of the task at hand and could have cost Rory a chance to win.

I am surprised that she doesn't realize how distracting her presence could be to Rory. Would she like it if Rory came down during one of her tennis tournaments between sets to whisper a few nothings into her ear?

I see they are making a point of that today on the GC.

Note: This thread is 3743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!