IGNORED

Name Your Team USA Ryder Cup Squad

SteveBamford
Note: This thread is 3522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just in case there's any confusion TomVk about Garcia, the Centenary course at Gleneagles isn't a links a track. It's Scotland's longest inland course, and widely regarded as the most American course that Scotland has

I'd be more scared of your team Skydog then I would the same old tired faces that haven't done a great deal before.

I could perhaps question whether Phil has finally got the Scottish bug having won at both Castle Stuart and Muirfield last year, but I hope for the sake of team America that Tom does something decisive sooner rather than later about Tiger (so far a she can). Even if he issues an ultimatum it sends out the right signal to the rest of the team and especially those on the fringe

It's well documented that if America can't win at something, then they start to switch off and immerse themselves in domestic challenges instead, or things they can win at. If the RC is to remain part of the wider sporting fabric (something golf needs) then the cup needs to retain its vital competitiveness. It won't take too many more European victories, and some of the post Brookline ones in particular were thrashings. In the wider interests of the RC, it really needs an American win, and ideally with a bit of dignity for a change, albeit Valhalla wasn't too bad, and you'd have to have been deaf not to recognise some less than edifying background noise at Medina that had English DNA running through it

Absolutely correct. The Centenary course is renowned for being very American and has been likened to a PGA Tour type track.  I had a quick look at the points standings from 2012 and $4 million was the automatic cut off for the US team.  They only took 8 automatically, which as we know has now jumped to 9 spots.  So in my reckoning, Watson, Walker, Kuchar and Spieth are already locked in, with Furyk and Dustin Johnson just a Top 10 away from qualification.  That leaves a lot of top players scrambling for 3 places.

Interesting comments around Bradley and Fowler being close associates with Tom Watson.  For me both need to find far more consistency before I'd select them, but they'd certainly get the call over younger players like English and Kirk.

Actually, having questioned the strength of the European team in light of some unlikely tour winners I did think I ought to check out the provisional standings, albeit the big earnings tournaments are yet to come, but it looks pretty strong to me

Dubisson, Donaldson, Bjorn, Stenson, McIlroy, Garcia, Rose, Kaymer, & Donald

leaving three from Blixt, Westwood, Poulter, McDowell, Jiminez and Francesco Molli

Poulter will be a lock I'd have thought, unless his game really falls apart. Blixt becomes a bit of an unknown, although McGinlay might be tempted to pair him with Stenson using the old Jacklin tactic of mini national teams. Westwood has a better record paired with many more players than McDowell whose own partnerhsip with Rory isn't actually as good as the myth would have you believe. If he's going to go left field a bit, then a long hitter playing the fourballs would be an option

Bubba

Walker

Furyk

Spieth

Kuch

DJ

English

Rickie

Woodland

Haas

Stricker

Perez

The last 4 are just because I like their games and balance out the dynamics of the team. No Patty Reed...sorry.

No Dufner? I don't know how you can leave Duf off the team. To me, he's a lock.

No Dufner? I don't know how you can leave Duf off the team. To me, he's a lock.

Why?

He's been rather pedestrian this year. Apart from last week, he only has 4 top 10s going back to october of 2013, no wins. He's currently 128th in driving distance, 52nd in driving accuracy, 42nd in GIR, 179th in strokes gained putting. Not a whole lot to celebrate. At this point not sure he deserves it. While looking at his scorecards throughout the year, he doesnt have too many bad 75+ rounds, he just has very few low rounds. He cannot score right this year. Birdies are not happening for him.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Can't say I'd take Rickie Fowler over Jason Dufner looking at current PGA Tour stats, but plenty of the season left to go.  Of the current 9 automatic qualifier spots Reid for me will be the most likely to drop out.

Can't say I'd take Rickie Fowler over Jason Dufner looking at current PGA Tour stats, but plenty of the season left to go.  Of the current 9 automatic qualifier spots Reid for me will be the most likely to drop out.

I think you'd be a terrible coach taking Fowler over Dufner.

Fowler, 13 tourneys - 6 missed cuts - 2 top 10's

Dufner, 9 tourneys - 1 missed cut - 3 top 10's (one of them being a top 3)

Dufner also has way more experience.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

To what extent is strokeplay a predictor of matchplay though?

OK it's a really simplistic (and silly) example but look at a hypothetical rounds of fourballs

Duffner shoots 2 under made up of 16 pars and 2 birdies

Fowler shoots level par made up of 9 birdies and 9 bogeys

Chances are Fowler's won you 6-7 holes and with it the match if his partner's getting the par. Fowler is the better player under matchplay. Mercurial talent can come to the fore, more so than stroke play which tends to reward consistancy.

Now I'm not saying that makes Fowler a better pick than Duffner necessarily (too personalised), but a slightly streaky player like Fowler should always be considered I reckon (in much the same way as Europe will be looking to include Dubisson and probably pair him with Kaymer or Donald)

I'm not sure the 'experience' thing isn't over-rated too. Winning and losing in any sport becomes habit forming and if allowed to go unchecked long enough, an expectation. If America has experienced players like Mickelson and Furyk, whose predominant experience is losing, what use is that experience really? It's been noticeable in recent renewals of the Ryder Cup that some of America's best performers (Fowler, Kim, Bradley, Dufner, Bubba etc) were comparatively inexperienced they were in effect untainted by the losing mentality and simply went out there unexposed to let rip. I honestly think we're more wary these types then we are some of the serial under performers

FWIW, I'd be looking to pick both if they can't qualify by right

To what extent is strokeplay a predictor of matchplay though?

OK it's a really simplistic (and silly) example but look at a hypothetical rounds of fourballs

Duffner shoots 2 under made up of 16 pars and 2 birdies

Fowler shoots level par made up of 9 birdies and 9 bogeys

Chances are Fowler's won you 6-7 holes and with it the match if his partner's getting the par. Fowler is the better player under matchplay. Mercurial talent can come to the fore, more so than stroke play which tends to reward consistancy.

Now I'm not saying that makes Fowler a better pick than Duffner necessarily (too personalised), but a slightly streaky player like Fowler should always be considered I reckon (in much the same way as Europe will be looking to include Dubisson and probably pair him with Kaymer or Donald)

FWIW, I'd be looking to pick both if they can't qualify by right

Fair enough.

Joel Holden

1. Matt Kuchar

2. Bubba Watson

3. Jordan Speith

4. Dustin Johnson

5. Jim Furyk

6. Hunter Mahan

7. Phil Mickelson

8. Zach Johnson

9. Jason Dufner

10. Jimmy Walker

11. Kegan Bradley

12. Gary Woodland

Why?

He's been rather pedestrian this year. Apart from last week, he only has 4 top 10s going back to october of 2013, no wins. He's currently 128th in driving distance, 52nd in driving accuracy, 42nd in GIR, 179th in strokes gained putting. Not a whole lot to celebrate. At this point not sure he deserves it. While looking at his scorecards throughout the year, he doesnt have too many bad 75+ rounds, he just has very few low rounds. He cannot score right this year. Birdies are not happening for him.

Not saying he's high on my list, but I'd take him over a guy like Rickie Fowler or Hunter Mahan right now. Dufner had a bit of a rough stretch from February to April, but outside of that he's been one of the more consistent players the last 2-3 years....10 top-10 finishes since last year's Open (including 6 top-5s)....hence why he's ranked in the top-15 in the world. I just want that guy's wedge play and his ability to play good on the big stage on my team. We talk about Jimmy Walker, but what has he done on the big stage?

He also went 3-1 in the 2012 Ryder Cup and had a very good rapport with Zach Johnson....could have been 4-0 if Ian Poulter doesn't go crazy that back 9 at Medinah on Saturday. I'd be very disappointed if Dufner doesn't make the team....unless he just does nothing the next couple months.

Not saying he's high on my list, but I'd take him over a guy like Rickie Fowler or Hunter Mahan right now. Dufner had a bit of a rough stretch from February to April, but outside of that he's been one of the more consistent players the last 2-3 years....10 top-10 finishes since last year's Open (including 6 top-5s)....hence why he's ranked in the top-15 in the world. I just want that guy's wedge play and his ability to play good on the big stage on my team. We talk about Jimmy Walker, but what has he done on the big stage?

He also went 3-1 in the 2012 Ryder Cup and had a very good rapport with Zach Johnson....could have been 4-0 if Ian Poulter doesn't go crazy that back 9 at Medinah on Saturday. I'd be very disappointed if Dufner doesn't make the team....unless he just does nothing the next couple months.

I agree 100%, and more importantly Dufner seems to have the right mentality for the Ryder Cup, where you aren't just playing for yourself but also your teammates and your country. Dufner just doesn't seem to get rattled by anything, which is invaluable in this format. As long as his game doesn't completely desert him (a'la David Duval) he would probably be one of the top 4-5 guys I would pick if I were starting a squad by hand.

Not to belabor the point, but compared to a guy like Furyk, whose swing is as good as anyone's on a Thursday/Friday, but who chokes over a 6 foot pressure putt on Sunday, I would take Dufner 100% of the time.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Matchplay format, I'm taking Fowler over Dufner every time. Dufner may be more consistent, Fowler has more talent and the ability to go lower. Fowler is a great guy to have in a Matchplay format.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Matchplay format, I'm taking Fowler over Dufner every time. Dufner may be more consistent, Fowler has more talent and the ability to go lower. Fowler is a great guy to have in a Matchplay format.

This I don't understand. Dufner was awesome in match play two years ago....one of our best players. Fowler has talent, but he hasn't shown it very much the last couple years. Fowler needs to start showing me something besides his flashy clothes and swing. Show me some results and then I'll start drinking the Fowler kool-aid.

1. Matt Kuchar

2. Bubba Watson

3. Jordan Speith

4. Dustin Johnson

5. Jim Furyk

6. Hunter Mahan

7. Phil Mickelson

8. Zach Johnson

9. Jason Dufner

10. Jimmy Walker

11. Kegan Bradley

12. Gary Woodland

Am I the only one who thinks Mahan should never be on another Ryder Cup team again?? I mean, I don't want to hate too much on the guy but I'll never forgive him for the chili dip on 18 at Celtic Manor. The guy is a choke artist, I'm sorry.

As for Dufner vs. Fowler, I gotta go with Fowler because of the talent argument. And I know some people think it's the right demeanor for the Cup, but to me Dufner's nonexistent personality and lack of energy on the course is not what we need on our squad. The Euros are fired up every year and that's the kind of spark we need.

• Administrator

Am I the only one who thinks Mahan should never be on another Ryder Cup team again?? I mean, I don't want to hate too much on the guy but I'll never forgive him for the chili dip on 18 at Celtic Manor. The guy is a choke artist, I'm sorry.

It wasn't on 18. He was going to lose the match regardless, and I guess you don't believe in second chances, eh?

Plus… he was on the winning team in 2008 (the last time the U.S. won), played in all five matches, and never lost.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It wasn't on 18. He was going to lose the match regardless, and I guess you don't believe in second chances, eh?

Plus… he was on the winning team in 2008 (the last time the U.S. won), played in all five matches, and never lost.

Sorry Skydog...but

Joel Holden

Apologies, it was 17. It was his de facto 18th because he conceded the match after it. And if we're going to nitpick, he could have scrapped out a half point...it wasn't over until that chip. Regardless, Mahan's game isn't impressing me and I think there are a bunch of other guys playing better golf and are more deserving of a spot than him. He's a nice guy and I'm not trying to beat him up, but if I'm Tom Watson he's not on my  team.

Note: This thread is 3522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!