IGNORED

Blade or Mallet

hypergolf
Note: This thread is 5997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you prefer blade or mallet putters? Why? Is there a significant difference in performance over the other? Or is it just the preference in looks? Does MOI really matter in putters? Just wanted to get a feel of the general opinions.
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

I've always been comfortable with a mallet. The one I loved but never played was the Bettinardi Hawk B12 I think. It had a great feel, I loved the black alignment t but I couldn't get past the electric green headcover and grip. I know I could've swapped them out but by then, I discovered the red X.

Driver: FT-5 9.5 65g V2 stiff
3 wood: 904f 13 YS6fw+ stiff
4 wood: 904f 17 YS6fw+ stiff
Hybrid: 585.h 21 YShybrid+ stiff
Irons: MP 60 4-PW NSPro950 stiff stepped-1Wedges: MP-R 52.07,56.10,60.09 NSPro950 stiff stepped-1Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X2 33"Ball: ProV1

I prefer blades mostly because I think the mallet style putters are goofy looking. I've tried both and couldn't really tell a difference. I guess it's also a habit thing. I've used blades since I started playing.

In my Grom CC bag
Driver: R580XD 10.5°
Woods: FX 3 and 5
Irons: Burner Oversize 5-9
Wedges: Burner Oversize PW & SW, Pinemeadow Tour Leader 60 °Putter: Pinemeadow BladeBall: D2 Straight

I have to use blade putters. I have tried some mallet putters in the store, but I just have to use a blade.

What's In My Slingshot OSS Bag.

Driver: Sasquatch 460
Fairway: Sasquatch 3-wood
Irons: Idea A2 OS 3-PWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Sand WedgePutter: Melbourne II

• Administrator
My sig answers the question, right? (Mallet)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just switched back to blade - TP Rossa Modena from a mallet style Ping. I had trouble controlling speed with the mallet and just feel I have more control with a blade putter. So far I love my TaylorMade Rossa.

Mallet. I just tried going back to a blade for the last two rounds and I had 39 putts in each round. I was averaging 30-33 putts before.

For me it is the speed that I noticed the biggest difference. The weight of the mallet lets me loosen up and swing smoother.

Switched to a mallet about three years ago; started with a Ping Craz-e and then this year got fitted for a 2-ball SRT. I have tried many blades on the practice green since (Ping Redwood and others, a friends Scotty etc...), and played a blade for the 20 years before going to a mallet, but now the feel of the ball off the face feels weird with a blade, and I feel that weight of the mallet just feels more natural for me. Alignment with my Odyssey is so much easier too.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I can't see where there could possibly be a big performance difference between the 2. It's all about the feel preferred by the person using it. The putter is probably the club in the bag that is influenced most by personal feeling. With the others there's a visible difference in performance (distance, spin, etc), but there isn't anything like that with a putter. With the putter it's all about how you think it feels when contacting the ball, and how confident you are when you're standing over the ball getting ready to make that stroke.

In my Grom CC bag
Driver: R580XD 10.5°
Woods: FX 3 and 5
Irons: Burner Oversize 5-9
Wedges: Burner Oversize PW & SW, Pinemeadow Tour Leader 60 °Putter: Pinemeadow BladeBall: D2 Straight

Been using a mallet for a few years now but really want to trade it in for a blade.....maybe this winter.........ha
Driver: Burner 10.5* Fujikura Stiff
Hybrids: Rescue Mid 19* Stiff Burner Rescue 22*
Irons: 04 Big Bertha steel
Putter: White Hot 2 Ball
Balls: TP Black

I have used both in the past year. I still like the look and feel of a blade, although the alignment of the three-ball mallet can't be beat. If I start to get uncomfortable with one, I switch, although I have been using my Scotty for quite a while.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

It's simply a matter of personal preference; an issue of what looks and works best for you. I personally have always used a blade putter and my favorite is the Ping Zing or anything that looks like it.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

• 5 weeks later...
Do you prefer blade or mallet putters? Why? Is there a significant difference in performance over the other? Or is it just the preference in looks? Does MOI really matter in putters? Just wanted to get a feel of the general opinions.

I would prefer to use a blade because I like the way a blade looks better than a mallet. I have several blades that I bought and find them very classic in appearance and very attractive. However, many mallets do have a higher MOI than most blades and I find mallets easier to swing more consistently than I do blades. Therefore, while I prefer the look of blades, I prefer my score with mallets.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Blade...TM Rossa Siena 4

I always found that the ball jumped off my mallets, rather than rolling off like a blade. i really, really like mallets on short puts, just gotta pull it back, and let it go, but those long ones were always hard to control distance..

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

MOI absolutely matters... the short game is where you lower you score so the most help you can get here, the better.

Blade like putters (depending on which model and brand) tend to have a smaller MOI, thus, don't tend to resist twisting on off center strikes as well as mallet style putters. For a low handicapper, this is fine because it gives them better feedback and feel, more for distance control and speed than direction. A mallet putter typically has a higher MOI, thus, if you don't hit the ball directly in the center, you still get similar distance control without much loss of direction either.

I've tried a million different putters and the reality is that mallet putters do really work. I find them helpful not only in the above mentioned factors (distance control and speed is the absolute key) but also providing really good alignment aids as well. Although a blade putter does suit my eye very well, i'm just not as accurate with them as a mallet.

The thing is with putters is that what works for me by no means will work for you so you really do need to go into the shop and hit as many balls as you can with as many putters as you can. It's vital !!!!

What's in my bag:

Driver: r7 9.5 deg, Fujikura Speeder 757 S
3 wood: G5 13 deg, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue, S
2 Hybrid: 2H FT hybrid, Aldila NVS S4 Hybrid: 4H FT hybrid, Adlila NVS SIrons: 5-PW Big Bertha 04, UniflexWedges: CG10 52 deg, 56 deg, 60 deg, Black PearlPutter: Ug-Le 34"Ball: ...

Ping g5i anser. Used a mallet for a little while, and just never felt as comfortable as I do with a blade.

Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood: Hibore 15*
3 Hybrid: 3dx DC 20*
Irons: i5 4-PW
Gap Wedge: cg12 50*Sand Wedge: cg12 54*Putter: g5i anserIn my grom bag :)

blade. i like the way a mallet is normally heavier but at the same time i left a lot real short or real long. i can judge speed better with my blade.

In my wasabe green ozone bag:

Hibore 9.5° w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft Driver

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

Note: This thread is 5997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!