IGNORED

Did Haney read Lowest Score Wins?

Note: This thread is 3223 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I disagree also on the "worst putt is as good as my best chip", my best chip is in the hole, my worst putt is off the green.

This is like that game where one person whispers something to the person next to them and then they whisper it to the next, and so on and so on, and then when it gets to the end, the last person heard something completely different than what the first person said.

Nobody said that your "worst putt is as good as your best chip."  The saying is, and Haney is quoted as saying it correctly in the article as well, that your worst putt is better than your WORST chip.

Even @saevel25 didn't say what people thought he said.  He said "your worst putt IS your best chip."  Perhaps not the ideal phrasing, but it is basically saying the same thing that Haney and the old adage intends, and not at all saying "your worst putt is better than your best chip."

Anyways, carry on ...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I disagree also on the "worst putt is as good as my best chip", my best chip is in the hole, my worst putt is off the green. I think the better wording is most people's average putt is better than thier average chip. If I putt from the fringe 10 times and chip from the fringe 10 times I'm going to be closer to the hole after putting more than if I'm chipping.

Totally agree, I think the person that posted that quote was meaning well but if you take a second to think about it, it makes no sense at all. Maybe he was meaning worst putt is better than worst chip? Best putt and best chip are equal (in the hole) but as you say, best chip is in the hole and worst putt is ages away. Either way, I always look for a way to putt the ball, even if I am 15-20ft off the green. However there are some times when you just can't and have to suck it up and chip. Having had a case of the thins I usually don't need a second invitation to putt the ball.

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

Putting off the green vs. chipping?  Often times in Southern Ca. we are invaded with kikuyu grass.

It's not a great putting surface and is hard to predict the speed.

Chipping, with a slower club head speed it can really grab the blade of the club resulting in a horrible chip.  I go with the SW or LW and try to use the bounce which is sort of a pitch type of chip.

Say you're 5 feet off the fringe and 25 feet from the pin (assume flat surface on fringe and green, kikuyu has invaded fairway, no kikuyu on the fringe or green and green is in good shape)... Would you chip or putt on this mess?

Putting off the green vs. chipping?  Often times in Southern Ca. we are invaded with kikuyu grass.   It's not a great putting surface and is hard to predict the speed. Chipping, with a slower club head speed it can really grab the blade of the club resulting in a horrible chip.  I go with the SW or LW and try to use the bounce which is sort of a pitch type of chip. Say you're 5 feet off the fringe and 25 feet from the pin (assume flat surface on fringe and green, kikuyu has invaded fairway, no kikuyu on the fringe or green and green is in good shape)... Would you chip or putt on this mess? [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/127110/] [/URL]

I can't tell from that picture and have no experience with that type of grass. Generally of I'm off the green I'm not in the fairway so I have to chip or pitch depending on the lie and if there is a bunker. But if I'm on the fringe I will always putt.

1. If I play it safe, I play it really safe with a 4H or a 7W. A couple of short holes where I play have about 10-yard fairway width where a driver shot would land, with bad things left and right. You've heard of sucker pins... these are sucker fairways.

4. Worst putt > worst chip. This is what I call the Bandon Dunes Effect.

Haney joins several mag pros who have offered this quip the last couple of years. After seeing H in GD, I tried this out on No. 9 green Sunday. If you have dry , fairly level manicured fairway leading into the green, it can work. If you have damp spots to cross, this throws speed off. If you have to run over any rises or tufts of grass, you can end up with ball kicked 30º offline.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

1. If I play it safe, I play it really safe with a 4H or a 7W. A couple of short holes where I play have about 10-yard fairway width where a driver shot would land, with bad things left and right. You've heard of sucker pins... these are sucker fairways. 4. Worst putt > worst chip. This is what I call the Bandon Dunes Effect. Haney joins several mag pros who have offered this quip the last couple of years. After seeing H in GD, I tried this out on No. 9 green Sunday. If you have dry , fairly level manicured fairway leading into the green, it can work. If you have damp spots to cross, this throws speed off. If you have to run over any rises or tufts of grass, you can end up with ball kicked 30º offline.

One question for you @WUTiger - Why haven't YOU read LSW? Maybe you have-I just do not see the badge in your signature.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I thought this exact same thing when I read the GD article. I'm positive he or someone that works with him has read LSW and cribbed your findings. Best form of flattery?

Of course everything is situational, even in LSW.

1) 16th hole at my home course. Water hazard is 210 yds from the tee and requires 230 to carry. I cannot hit my driver on this hole because my carry distance is 215. My 3W is 205 - 215 except a bit higher launch so it will roll into the hazard. 5W will roll to 205 which is cutting it really close. The choice club to hit off the tee is my 7W.

2) 1st hole par 5. Due to the position of the dogleg the best club for me is my 5 iron, because a driver requires I hit a fade around a tall stand of cedars and I'm not consistent with that - I could pull it or over fade it.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 3223 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!