IGNORED

Picking the right Golf Instructor

old man1953
Note: This thread is 3134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know I need lessons ..and more than one or two. Have narrowed it down to two places. Both offer custom club fitting and lessons on site. Both have launch monitor system. Both are about same distance to drive. Both have more than four instructors on staff. Both give lessons all winter( and being in Michigan that is a must ) googled both for reviews and one has a lot more because they been in business longer but the reviews for the older were really good. So I have narrowed it down to which place. But how does a person go about chosing the right instructor. Not all teach same and each will have different methods. I am 62 and not new to golf but been 20 years since I played. So what critiera do you use to choose the right instructor. And how many lessons would be minimum you took   Thanks for any input. 

Golfers see the most benefit from instructors they can talk to easily and get along with; obviously you also want them to be very knowledgeable about the swing.  As such, I'd suggest one of two things 1) take a quick 30min lesson or so from each and see who you like the most / who's philosophy about golf matches yours the closest or 2) just go up to them and talk to them for a bit about lessons and how they approach it.  Keep in mind that taking lessons is great, but it really comes down to you practicing what they teach.  Also, if you are not seeing some type of improvement in a lesson or two, find a new teacher.  Good ones are able to help find results quickly, but as said before, it's up to you to repeat those results as best you can.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good point on it being up to me to practice what I am taught. One thing I left out above is I have an indoor ( bubble ) driving range just two miles from my house that offer some great rates for practicing and is right on my way home from work which will be a great help. 

I know I need lessons ..and more than one or two. Have narrowed it down to two places. Both offer custom club fitting and lessons on site. Both have launch monitor system. Both are about same distance to drive. Both have more than four instructors on staff. Both give lessons all winter( and being in Michigan that is a must ) googled both for reviews and one has a lot more because they been in business longer but the reviews for the older were really good. So I have narrowed it down to which place. But how does a person go about chosing the right instructor. Not all teach same and each will have different methods. I am 62 and not new to golf but been 20 years since I played. So what critiera do you use to choose the right instructor. And how many lessons would be minimum you took   Thanks for any input. 

Do they post before and after photos on social media or on their website? Can you read up on their teaching background and "philosophy"? I'd do some research like that to see which one you might prefer.

Also good article to check out.
http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/the_instructor_quiz_nine_questions_youve_gotta_ask

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Give each site a test run. See if both offer teaser lessons and use that to gauge which you like the most and go from there.

As you are about to essentially invest in their business with your lovely hard earned money you need to make sure the decision you make is the right one otherwise its money down the drain.

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

For me personally, I like a teacher that will give me a copy of any videos that are taken. I agree with researching their teaching philosophy. A big component is how easily the teacher can help you understand exactly what they want you to do. Some can explain positions or feelings in a way that it is very easy to get there. Others have trouble and you end up spending more time trying to figure out an easy way to get to the correct checkpoints.

I would at the very least go strike up a conversation with each teacher and just see which one you seem to "gel" with on a personality basis. Then you can take a lesson and review their teaching technique.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Be sure about your goals and communicate them to your prospective teacher....if he doesn't ask about your goals, that's a bad sign.

For example, if you want to get to single digits and play competitively, he may want to revamp your entire swing.

Or,  if you want to get to be a bogey golfer, he'd work on posture, tempo, grip and contact with the swing you bring.

Or, if you want to play a couple times a month with buddies and just not embarrass  youself, that a different lesson too.

For me personally, I like a teacher that will give me a copy of any videos that are taken. I agree with researching their teaching philosophy. A big component is how easily the teacher can help you understand exactly what they want you to do. Some can explain positions or feelings in a way that it is very easy to get there. Others have trouble and you end up spending more time trying to figure out an easy way to get to the correct checkpoints.

I would at the very least go strike up a conversation with each teacher and just see which one you seem to "gel" with on a personality basis. Then you can take a lesson and review their teaching technique.

I totally agree with finding a teacher that takes videos of your swing. Watching yourself throughout the swing motion could help you understand what sections of the swing you need work on.

(edited)

I went this weekend and talked to three of the instructors. Liked one really well that came across as someone I could both learn from and listen to and understand what he is saying. He works with a lot of senior golfers as well. And gives any videos he takes to his students. My first lesson is next Saturday. Will keep you posted. And thanks for all replys and suggestions. All help appreciated. 

Edited by old man1953
mispelling

I had a 30 minute lesson at a Golftec today.   The computerized equipment was impressive and the instructor was very informative.   I felt when I left that I had work to do but he answered my questions and gave me a different focus on my swing.   It was different than my previous lessons but enlightening.    I enjoyed it.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 3134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!